Bill To Stop Keyless Ignitions From Killing Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, the unknown dangers of economy cars. I don't have a problem forgetting my CTS-V is running.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The best solution is to automatically shut the car off when the car is locked from outside the car.

Not everyone locks their vehicle when it's parked inside their locked garage. I've never done it. Regardless if it has a key or a FOB.

I would think a functioning catalytic converter would prevent this from happening along with dilution by air in the dwelling

Broadly speaking this is just a symptom of a larger problem. Cars have become appliances and as a result people who have no business owning a car have them.

No different than people who claimed that loose floor mats caused their car to run on its own.

But the auto makers love this because it means sales. Sigh.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
I wonder if this is really true, as the exhaust has almost NO CO, i do know of a case where someone tried to commit suicide, the car ran out of gas hours later and all they got was a headache.

Now if the system is malfunctioning.

Rod

They said asphyxiation not CO poisoning. That means they suffocated to death.

Only car I have to worry about is the Civic as it is the only one with remote start. VW/Audi do not come with remote start idk why but no you can't order remote start on a 50k Audi.

Originally Posted by badtlc
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
I wonder if this is really true, as the exhaust has almost NO CO, i do know of a case where someone tried to commit suicide, the car ran out of gas hours later and all they got was a headache.

Now if the system is malfunctioning.

Rod

They said asphyxiation not CO poisoning. That means they suffocated to death.

Carbon Monoxide does asphyxiate you. It binds with your hemoglobin and blocks the uptake of Oxygen. As a retired fire captain I've seen dead people walking. If I remember correctly CO binds with hemoglobin 500 times stronger than O2. Medic classes were a long time ago.

Fords will chime and give a warning screen when you open the door, and give two horn blasts if you step out of the car and shut the door with the key in your pocket. Surely all makes & models with keyless ignition give some sort of warning. If not, that's what needs to change. I don't want my car shutting down just because I've walked 15 feet away. Clearly that's not the solution for people with certain home designs.

Sorry to say, but folks need to pay attention. This is really no different than putting a pan of oil on the stove and walking away, but amazingly, people do it every day.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Broadly speaking this is just a symptom of a larger problem. Cars have become appliances and as a result people who have no business owning a car have them. No different than people who claimed that loose floor mats caused their car to run on its own. But the auto makers love this because it means sales. Sigh.

Here I must agree. The only thing worse is calling on an already proven idiot government to pass laws, in some desperate, half witted attempt to prevent citizen idiots from continuing to act like idiots. I mean come on for God's sake, forgetting to shut your car off?? ...... In a garage no less?

I sort of see it both ways.. on many cars such as my 2.0T cherokee.. this isnt really an issue.. and if it was left on.. its darwin.

on a hybrid fusion that starts and stops the motor sometimes randomly in no relation to what you are doing... yea I could see possibly messing that up.. esp. in the new ownership period.

Also the rotary shifter + hybrid is total bonkers I had one as a rental.. and its easy to blame and call people stupid but it is a very poorly designed system.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Or even better, to shut the car off if the key fob is more than 10-15 feet away from the car.

They can't do this because it would have cars shutting down in the middle of driving should the security module or ECU not hear the transponder for some reason.

I think if the door is opened and then closed and no gear is selected within 30 seconds or the brake isn't applied indicating you are still in the car and about to drive away it should shut the car off. Similar to vehicles that keep the radio running until you open the door even after the car was shut off. (Exit Delay).

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Onetor
Darwin!

My initial thought as well.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by billt460

Here I must agree. The only thing worse is calling on an already proven idiot government to pass laws, in some desperate, half witted attempt to prevent citizen idiots from continuing to act like idiots. I mean come on for God's sake, forgetting to shut your car off?? ...... In a garage no less?

Protecting dimwits from the consequences of their moronic actions is now seen as a primary duty of government.
I believe that we should not attempt to tamper with the law of natural selection.

Originally Posted by dbias
Only car I have to worry about is the Civic as it is the only one with remote start.

Will your Civic run indefinitely once it's been remote started? I ask because my Jeep will only run for 15 minutes. If the vehicle has not been entered, and the Start / Run button pushed in that time, it will automatically shut down. This regardless if it has been remote started by the FOB, or by Smartphone.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by billt460

Protecting dimwits from the consequences of their moronic actions is now seen as a primary duty of government.
I believe that we should not attempt to tamper with the law of natural selection.

I agree 100%.

I put this into much the same category as the bill the government passed requiring gun manufacturers to include those stupid cable locks with every new gun. I just throw them into a big junk drawer we have in the kitchen. The other day my wife got on a clean up kick, and cleaned out the drawer. There were 23 of them! I told her to just toss them, as it's one of those things I can't find a use for. Let alone for 23 of them.

She came up with a good idea. She said to take them all down to the grammar school, and give them to the principal. And let the kids have them for their bicycles. That was a week ago and I still haven't gone. I'm afraid he'll ask me where I got them. Knowing most school teachers views on guns, that's a conversation I don't want to have.

I've forgotten to turn off the car a few times. You come home after 10-12 hours at work, tired. Can happen. Fortunately for me, the engines on my car are loud outside the car so then I turned back and turned them off.

My MG may be an ultra-simple car, but unless I lose my hearing or sense of smell, I won't forget it's running. Heck, because of the design of the door latches, it is impossible to lock the keys in car; the lock lever won't move unless the door is latched. I have to close the door and lock it with the key from the outside. Sometimes simple isn't so bad after all.

CO poisoning isn't the only thing you have to worry about; Even if your cat is working properly, it will still consume oxygen and put out carbon dioxide. You can still be asphyxiated.

I'm not a fan of these pushbutton cars. I've driven a Prius and it's easy to forget to push the button to turn it off before getting out, especially since the engine may not be running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back