Bill To Stop Keyless Ignitions From Killing Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
What the [censored]

http://flip.it/ssXX1t

Originally Posted by Forbes
The push-button starter that allows drivers to keep their key-fobs in their pockets is a popular feature with consumers. The flaw in the technology though is that engines can be so quiet these days, especially with hybrid vehicles, that drivers park their vehicles in a garage attached to the house, and forget to push the starter button off.

Dozens of people in the U.S. have died because as the engine continues to run, the carbon monoxide gets into the house through an air duct and asphyxiates the people inside..........

I can actually see this being an issue. Some standards around how push button start works isn't a bad idea.

The best solution is to automatically shut the car off when the car is locked from outside the car
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The best solution is to automatically shut the car off when the car is locked from outside the car
smile.gif

I like letting it run, but locking it, if I have to run into a gas station real quick or something like that.

Common sense is really lacking anymore... same with the rotary shifter "issues." If you can't make sure your vehicle is actually off, in park, whatever you shouldn't be driving.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Or even better, to shut the car off if the key fob is more than 10-15 feet away from the car.

Or just have the horn start beeping non stop.

If I leave my car with the engine running it starts beeping loudly as soon as the door is closed. My fob is in my pants pocket.

New cars are very quiet these days. Ive has to look at the tach on occasion to verify that the engine is running.

I wonder if this is really true, as the exhaust has almost NO CO, i do know of a case where someone tried to commit suicide, the car ran out of gas hours later and all they got was a headache.

Now if the system is malfunctioning.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
I wonder if this is really true, as the exhaust has almost NO CO, i do know of a case where someone tried to commit suicide, the car ran out of gas hours later and all they got was a headache.

Now if the system is malfunctioning.

Rod

I think it will consume all the oxygen in the enclosed area even if it produces minimal carbon monoxide.

My 2017 Ford Fusion horn honks twice if the engine is running and you close the door. Very hard to miss that.

Originally Posted by PimTac
If I leave my car with the engine running it starts beeping loudly as soon as the door is closed. My fob is in my pants pocket.

New cars are very quiet these days. Ive has to look at the tach on occasion to verify that the engine is running.

Our SFS does this too.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Or even better, to shut the car off if the key fob is more than 10-15 feet away from the car.

That's how my wife's 2006 Cadillac STS is, shuts its self off if fob gets 10/15 feet away. It also locks the doors for you as you walk away from it, it unlocks as you walk up to it. I still don't like the key less ignition deal, "I" would not own one! Technically I don't claim any part of my wife's car! My name is not on the title...lol!

Her finger nails have scratched almost all the painted surface off of the push start button, looks like a censored word!

The problem with 10-15 feet is that if someone lives above the garage or their bedroom is attached to the garage, 10-15 feet may actually not be far enough. There was a case a few years ago about someone who lived directly above the garage who died this way.

That 10-15-foot strategy might be inconvenient if you have to exit briefly to open a gate or assist an invalid get into the car. Better to shut off the engine if the fob is outside the car for a certain time than at a certain distance (which I suspect would harder to design to function reliably anyway).

Well I guess that's one good reason not to have a garage, I park outside in a parking lot. I never forget to shut it off though, you'd be out of gas if you let it run without shutting it off. Even if you can't hear it, you can tell just by looking at the dash and the tach. Plus everything shuts off once you shut the engine off. Would be strange to get out of the car with the engine running. Sorta the reverse of getting in, shut off the car, take off seat belt, grab stuff, then open the door.

With stop start being the current fad, surely the vehicle manufacturers should have it set such that 20 minutes of idling is deemed silly enough to shut it down...or once the battery is fully charged or something.

I have a friend who lost 4 family members due to CO after their power was removed (charcoal burning inside)...her sister was saved by waking up to have a smoke of all things.

CO is a serious issue...cars that can run for a tankful of gas because the owner forgot to turn it off should have ended 20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back