Bilge/Sump pump - dielectric mineral oil?

What the heck is 'dielectric mineral oil'? How is it different from generic mineral oil?

Some context to my question:
Had some oil leak out of my 1/6 HP HomeDepot brand sump pump. Called their help line and they said it takes 'dielectric mineral oil'. They couldn't tell me anything around specific oil weight. Weight aside, can't seem to find the stuff anywhere - is it sold under a different name? Are there different weights? Can I use good old cutting board mineral oil?

It is non-conductive. It surrounds the motor and cools it. If it is leaking out, water will probably leak in. Probably time for a new pump.

It is dielectric oil - mineral. There's also dielectric oil - silicone. Might also be called transformer oil or insulating oil depending on where you get it from.

It's a non conductive, high temp stabil oil. Has no real lubricating properties. If it's leaking though the pump housing is probably damaged or is leaking for some reason. So I'd check for replaceable seals or something on the pump.

If you need some dielectric mineral oil , go to the power company office . It's " Transformer oil " . They will have tons of it .

If you need some dielectric mineral oil , go to the power company office . It's " Transformer oil " . They will have tons of it .
I highly doubt the local EMC is going to sell what to them would be a super small quantity of transformer oil to some dude off the street. Maybe if you had a buddy that worked for them in their maintenance area you could put hands on some that route, but just showing up? No way.

Last edited:
I don't get it .
Let me spell this out
they arent going to give anyone transformer oil.
There is no transformer oil at the local power company office.
This is also besides the point that if the sump pump is leaking it.. OP probably needs a new one.

Let me spell this out
they arent going to give anyone transformer oil.
There is no transformer oil at the local power company office.
This is also besides the point that if the sump pump is leaking it.. OP probably needs a new one.
Let me spell this out . If somebody had come to my Service Center and asked me for a couple of gallons of Transformer oil for a legitimate reason , I probably would have hooked them up . We had drums of it on site .

The oil is a moot point. You need a new pump. I had a Zoeller leak and it smelled really bad. Sump pit was all oil covered with stinky oil

Back