Bike coolant.........

Not sure if this is the correct place for a coolant thread, but it is a bike related issue.
Need to change the coolant on my MV agusta and don't know if motorcycles have specific coolant requirements and therefore a specific coolant type.
So, any advice and recommedations would be appreciated.
I'm located in the UK, so many US products and brands aren't available here.

It just says ethylene glycol type with 40% distilled water, which is no surprise. What I'm trying to determine is whether a bike specific coolant is better than a generic automotive coolant, and, which of the bike products is best.

And if so, one of the Asian coolants such as Honda blue or Toyota red (or equivalent) would be ideal. Mix it within the concentration limits specified on the container and it will be fine.

After well over 20 years on my Asian cars the inside passages of the cooling system are pristine as documented here when I replaced the timing belts and water pumps.

Thanks guys. I use Honda long life coolant in my Mitsubishi Evo and it's excellent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by evoboy
Need to change the coolant on my MV agusta and don't know if motorcycles have specific coolant requirements and therefore a specific coolant type.

No specific coolant type as long as it's compatible with aluminum (and possibly magnesium, if your MV has any in contact with coolant).
Cooling systems aren't fundamentally any different between cars and bikes. The bike specific coolants are just a way to extract more money from your wallet, but if that makes you feel better then go for it.

Originally Posted by kschachn
And if so, one of the Asian coolants such as Honda blue or Toyota red (or equivalent) would be ideal. Mix it within the concentration limits specified on the container and it will be fine.

After well over 20 years on my Asian cars the inside passages of the cooling system are pristine as documented here when I replaced the timing belts and water pumps.

I use the Zerex Asian blue formula in my bikes. It typically comes pre-mixed at a 50:50 ratio, but that's still good protection. I would think it would work fine in any liquid cooled motorcycle engine.

BTW - the Zerex blue and red colored coolant is exactly the same formulation, they just die it blue or red to match specific car manufacturer's color choice for coolant.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Agreed with all above advice, have used various types of coolants in motorcycles over the years made for Japanese cars, no issues.

Triumph calls for a hybrid OAT and their factory blue coolant is that formulation. Zerex G05 is what's currently in my bike.

try putoline, silkolen coolants both available in the uk.
Better still email them with your specific bike details.

Better to get them ready mixed; if not, use distilled water.

Pick your color...

Pro Honda HP Coolant 50/50 Premix 49% Propylene Glycol 50% demineralized water Blue dye

Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant is pre-mixed Propylene Glycol with de-ionized water with blue dye

Belray MotoChill pre-mixed Propylene Glycol with de-ionized water with blue dye

Prestone Xtreme Sport Prediluted Motorcycle Coolant Propylene Glycol 50% demineralized water with red dye

Dexcool 50% Propylene Glycol and demineralized water with orange dye...

I use Honda Type 2 coolant from my local Honda Auto dealer. Buy it by the gallon.
It is blue in color. Silicate and Borate free. Meets all the specs for Honda motorcycles and I bet most others too.

Basically it's the same stuff as in the Honda HP coolant quart bottles at the motorcycle parts shop.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I've used Honda stuff in a CBR600F3 and a Ninja 650 I care for. On the latter, the coolant was green like Subaru or Nissan factory fill.

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
Pro Honda HP Coolant 50/50 Premix 49% Propylene Glycol 50% demineralized water Blue dye

You sure this is PG? I've not been able to find an SDS.

Separately, I cannot find that Prestone you mention at the Prestone site, nor any m/c-specific coolant there. I see references to it at vendors who say it's out of stock. Do you have a link to it at the Prestone site?

Back