Big W Australia Valvoline Clearance sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been to the local Big W and saw nearly all 5L bottles are on clearance.
Next Gen 15w40 - $20
Next Gen Diesel - $20
Durablend 10w30 - $25
MaxLife 20w50 - $30
Engine Armour 15w40 - $20

I grabbed 3 bottles of Durablend and a bottle of Nextgen for my sisters little old Mitsy Mirage.

If you're American and think these sound expensive yeah our prices are different haha

Thanks. Yeah, you guys get hosed a little bit when it comes to oil prices, but if I had an opportunity to move to Australia, I'd still do it.
smile.gif

BTW, we have a Product Rebates, Sales, and Promotions subforum with these kinds of topics...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/33/1/Product_Rebates,_Sales_and_Pro

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks. Yeah, you guys get hosed a little bit when it comes to oil prices, but if I had an opportunity to move to Australia, I'd still do it.
smile.gif

BTW, we have a Product Rebates, Sales, and Promotions subforum with these kinds of topics...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/33/1/Product_Rebates,_Sales_and_Pro

Yeah everything seems expensive here until I weighed everything up. I stack shelves at a supermarket and get between $25-60 an hour so I barely had to work an hour for a bottle
smile.gif
compared to when I worked in the UK, everything seemed cheap but I was on £6.10 doing the same job.
I love to see Americans complaining when they pay $2/3 a quart haha that would be the day, I'd need a warehouse if I found some at that!
Sorry any admins can relocate it. Haven't ventured that end so I didn't know it existed!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
smile.gif

I too would move to Australia if I had the opportunity.
I believe that PC is destroying America and it seems too late to change.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

Yeah everything seems expensive here until I weighed everything up. I stack shelves at a supermarket and get between $25-60 an hour so I barely had to work an hour for a bottle
smile.gif

Value is relative. If you make $25-50 bucks at an unskilled job (stocking shelves at a supermarket), then of course your goods are going to be more expensive.

Free enterprise will work out all the details. Supply and demand is the rule. But it does make me laugh, because some Americans think other countries "have it better", but they are focusing on a single thing. Like, "Wow!! I can make $40/hr stocking shelves at the grocery store?" ....I'm moving there. Then when they get there, they see the cost of living is 5 times higher, so they are back to making $8/hour.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

smile.gif

Value is relative. If you make $25-50 bucks at an unskilled job (stocking shelves at a supermarket), then of course your goods are going to be more expensive.

Free enterprise will work out all the details. Supply and demand is the rule. But it does make me laugh, because some Americans think other countries "have it better", but they are focusing on a single thing. Like, "Wow!! I can make $40/hr stocking shelves at the grocery store?" ....I'm moving there. Then when they get there, they see the cost of living is 5 times higher, so they are back to making $8/hour.

Spot on really and a lot of foreign companies, especially car brands take advantage of the higher wages and double the price of their cars here compared to elsewhere.
Australia is a great place to live and work money wise though, I was born and raised in the UK and moved here 3 years ago. Over there it was going to cost me £4,000 ($8,000) a year to insure a 1.0 litre car and fuel was £1.40 ($2.80) a litre!! That's whilst earning a mere £6 an hour...
I moved to Australia and started the same job but earning way over double, fuel was less than half the price and insurance was 16 times cheaper on a car with an engine 4 times the size and power! It is a win win for me and just a great country in general, glad I moved
smile.gif

Working in a supermarket I hear a lot of accents, I'm starting to hear a lot more American ones as it seems a lot of Americans are moving here. There are 2 different African American families that are now locals and one of them is a teacher at my friends school. There's an old retired American man that lives near by too and I've heard many more! I find it very interesting, great inter-colony vibe :p

But still, if you visit prepare to get upset when you go to change your oil, $65 for a bottle Synpower, Royal Purple fan boy? Not when it's $95 for a 5 qt bottle! Haha

Originally Posted By: pbm

Sadly, you'll find Australia is no better in that regard...our kids have to sing "Baa baa rainbow sheep" at school so as not to offend anyone. True story.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: pbm

Sadly, you'll find Australia is no better in that regard...our kids have to sing "Baa baa rainbow sheep" at school so as not to offend anyone. True story.

At the end of the day no where is as bad as the UK! That place is rife with PC it's disgusting.
Bah bah black sheep got banned there too. Absolutely ridiculous!

How's the Falcon going by the way? Being a 2002 is it an AU or a BA?

AU3. One of the last ones. Can't kill it! Everything still works, it's amazing. I have a low km engine in my shed waiting to go in, but the original one refuses to die! I serviced it last week, threw another 5 litres of Frankenbrew in, and I have absolutely no doubt she'll click over 400,000km by the end of the year. I even changed the diff oil, put some 80W140 in there, and like magic, the whine has stopped! I love these old Falcons
smile.gif

AU3. One of the last ones. Can't kill it! Everything still works, it's amazing. I have a low km engine in my shed waiting to go in, but the original one refuses to die! I serviced it last week, threw another 5 litres of Frankenbrew in, and I have absolutely no doubt she'll click over 400,000km by the end of the year. I even changed the diff oil, put some 80W140 in there, and like magic, the whine has stopped! I love these old Falcons
smile.gif

Awesome! Yep these older SOHC I6s are literally bullet proof and Falcons in general are tough. I have never had a problem with mine and it used to get some abuse! 15 years old and not one thing has ever gone wrong apart from the drive belt snapping.
Whats the viscosity of that frankenbrew? Haha still using 30 weights in mine and it never uses a single drop and I like to rev it out every day!
Just done my diff oil too, factory fill came out looking in very bad shape but its never made a sound! The AUs were the last to have the live axel sedans I believe, they have a very solid diff.
I bought some Falcon parts off someone with an AU1 Wagon with 960,000km on the clock! Was the original engine that has had nothing but oil and filter changes! Had recently got its 3rd transmission though but still, super super solid motors
smile.gif

Whats the viscosity of that frankenbrew?... The AUs were the last to have the live axel sedans I believe, they have a very solid diff.

The 'brew has a mix of 0w30, 15w40 and some diesel 15w40, all Castrol. The main of it is the 0w30. Honestly, I think you could use basically anything in these cars, they wouldn't care. And yes, AU is last of the live axle, BA went IRS (in the sedan).

Whats the viscosity of that frankenbrew?... The AUs were the last to have the live axel sedans I believe, they have a very solid diff.

The 'brew has a mix of 0w30, 15w40 and some diesel 15w40, all Castrol. The main of it is the 0w30. Honestly, I think you could use basically anything in these cars, they wouldn't care. And yes, AU is last of the live axle, BA went IRS (in the sedan).

Ahh what OCIs are you running? Any oil usage inbetween? I now have 4 bottles of 10w30, a bottle of 10w40 and a bottle of 15w50 all valvoline durablend.
I agree they seem to run well on anything as long as its no thinner than 30 or thixker than 50. The manual recommends 10w30 and says 40 and 50s are also fine so I bought all three to see which it likes best.
We are lucky then, live axel all the way if you ask me!

Working in a supermarket I hear a lot of accents, I'm starting to hear a lot more American ones as it seems a lot of Americans are moving here. There's an old retired American man that lives near by too and I've heard many more!
The last time I visited Oz (1994) I was under the impression that one couldn't simply move there, you had to have a sponsor or have a skill that wasn't common locally. My wife and I were told if we didn't have a return ticket, they wouldn't let us out of the airport. Has that changed, because I should would consider retiring there...

AU's also got the first head gasket that lasted longer than 150,000k. My EF had gone before 130k when I bought it. I never bothered fixing it, just added a litre of the cheapest coolant inhibitor I could buy every fortnight or so. It was still running just the same 100,000km later when I managed to sell it for $400

In Autobarn the other day and the hallowed Mobil 1 0W40 is a lazy $105 for 5 litres, Castrol Edge is usually between $70 and $90, you've got to love the oil prices over here. As for the PC being better than the U.S, sorry everyone but don't plan on moving to Australia if that's your reason, we're doing our level best to match or better you there, that's for certain.

Best wishes,
Jason.

But still, if you visit prepare to get upset when you go to change your oil, $65 for a bottle Synpower, Royal Purple fan boy? Not when it's $95 for a 5 qt bottle! Haha

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supercity
AU's also got the first head gasket that lasted longer than 150,000k. My EF had gone before 130k when I bought it. I never bothered fixing it, just added a litre of the cheapest coolant inhibitor I could buy every fortnight or so. It was still running just the same 100,000km later when I managed to sell it for $400

Yep it is genuinely impossible to blow the head gasket on an AU, they hanve a triple layer steel gasket plus a feature that shuts cylinders down and uses them to draw in cold air to cool the block if coolant it lost.
When my drive belt snapped and came off the water pump in the outback, all the coolant boiled out. I carried on driving for over 30 minutes in the outback with zero coolant. Name one other car on this planet that can do that and still run perfect haha as far as I know there isn't one

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Working in a supermarket I hear a lot of accents, I'm starting to hear a lot more American ones as it seems a lot of Americans are moving here. There's an old retired American man that lives near by too and I've heard many more!
The last time I visited Oz (1994) I was under the impression that one couldn't simply move there, you had to have a sponsor or have a skill that wasn't common locally. My wife and I were told if we didn't have a return ticket, they wouldn't let us out of the airport. Has that changed, because I should would consider retiring there...

Our family just applied for permantnent residency. The policy works on a points system and you need 100 points. I think you get 30 points for speaking fluent English and another 30 points if you bring over more than $150k or something like that. If you have a trade thats in demand you get about 60 points. We got about 150 points so its quite easy to get residency. Yes if you have family or friends that are willing to support you until you get on your feet you can get them to sponsor you so you can come live here

You make it sound very easy. A lot of people, even wealthy english speaking Hollywood actors can find it hard to get citizenship here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back