Big three truck questions

My nephew is 16 and is looking for a truck so I've been casually browsing market place and craigslist..he's looking for a first truck around 3,000 which generally gets you a beater might be a decent running beater but don't expect it to be pretty or perfect. That being said I've noticed A LOT of high mileage trucks from all 3. Around 200,000 miles ect. But then I see chevys with 300-400,000 miles on them still getting a few grand for them. Which led me to wonder what is it about the chevy trucks from the early to late 90s and even early 2000's that make them capable of such high miles. We looked at a ram it had the 5.9 with 220,000 miles and it felt worn out. The engine ran but just was down on power and just felt worn out. That is just one example. But I do notice a trend of the chevys having a ton of miles and some of them still run well. What gives? Is there something better about chevys that allow for them to rack up more miles? Are they generally less abused and worked? I know that they all can build a decent truck but it's been a common occurrence and I am curious to know your thoughts. From a longevity stand point will the 350/5.3 just outlast a 302 or a 4.6 or a 5 .2 or 5.9? Something superior it maybe just superior conditions and treatment? Definitely a trend I've noticed at least around here.

The magnum 5.2 and 5.9 never made great power IMO. Sure it made tons of low end torque, but it fell on its face very quickly. But they’re hard to kill, the rest of the truck usually disintegrates around it. Same with the 350 and 5.3, which I prefer to the 5.2 and 5.9.

The magnum 5.2 and 5.9 never made great power IMO. Sure it made tons of low end torque, but it fell on its face very quickly. But they’re hard to kill, the rest of the truck usually disintegrates around it. Same with the 350 and 5.3, which I prefer to the 5.2 and 5.9.
Yeah my old 95 ram has the 5.9 it's been a good engine tons of low end grunt but it's not much in the higher end.

A 5.9 felt down on power? No wayyyy. Kidding, as the other said the 5.2/5.9 were stump pullers, not HP kings. That, and the 46re (I think) transmission is an even bigger slush-box than a 4L60e or 4R70w. Granted, when installed in a Durango or Grand Cherokee they moved plenty fine. Just not in a 1500/2500.

Honestly, the strongest truck engine in his price range, behind the 350/5.7, is the 4.6 SOHC Ford. That engine will easily go 300k miles, and likely much longer. If I had to pick a truck in that price range, it would be a Ford. However, no $3k truck with 200k+ on it is going to be a treat to drive, nor maintain.

Is there any way he'd change his mind and get something for a better value? $3k buys a LOT of sedan, heck you could get a nice Lexus, Cadillac, whatever around here for that price. I'd sure rather drive an older LS400 vs. a beater 2WD regular cab pickup with vinyl floors and no AC.

My 96 has 438k miles on it and just got new ball joints. I swapped the seats with a new one from the junkyard, and am waxing spraying the inside of the doors. I’ve been happy with my high mileage Ram.

D968A45D-6065-40A1-AA60-A6D14AA7B3C3.jpeg

I always wanted a CTD, so that’s what Inwas shopping for. But I did see the occasional nice lower mileage old square body (early 80s-96 or so) F-150 or 250 that looked like they were owned by old folks, and decent enough. IMO if you’re looking for low dollar trucks in the used market, buy on condition and maintenance records, and don’t split hairs on which engine or truck manufacturer. There are bigger issues, and if the truck was well kept and runs ok, that’s a bigger success than which engine model.

That said, as someone else mentioned, $3k will buy you a lot of sedan. A lot more, newer, nicer, and safer vehicle. And one that won’t saddle a 16 yo with such a high fuel bill.

I just got 17 MPG in my Ram 2500 diesel, and it cost me $75 to fuel up, with Diese at $2.23/gal. Gas may be cheaper, but the engines a lot thirstier. Not sure it’s a good idea for a 16yo to have that level of expenses, as an old worn out gas engine truck will probably return more like 12-15, especially if used more in town.

Last edited:
None of them are good choices. It really is luck at the 3k mark. And patience and the ability to do your own wrenching.

A $3000 pickup will be a project/beater and will nickel or dime the owner quickly. On the Fords, the 4.6 will be a solid choice, even at very high mileage. I owned two of them, and would take either of the trucks back in a heartbeat. Not flashy, not going to win any races, but very, very reliable and they will get the job done. Guaranteed the rest of the truck is going to need some work at 3k, but the engine would be solid.

Regarding Chevy — The 5.7 and later the 5.3 LS motors were pretty reliable...legendary to an extent. Cab corners were an issue with rust. A good overall truck.

Dodge, I thought we’re underpowered and the power of their earlier model brake systems were lacking (it really is compared to Chevy or even slightly newer dodges..2004 and up). The Dode rusted out along the rear wheel wells. Couldn’t stop it.

Ford had a nice 4.6 V8.

But nowadays? Out of the big three I’d stay away from GM. They all have their problems But after owning a 2018 Silverado - maintained it religiously, babied it, easy up and down the highway miles. averaging 68 mph on cruise control. After 50,000 miles the thing either needed injectors or a torque converter (it shuddered under load going up hills on the highway). Just couldn’t handle daily commuting on a highway. Nothing in the bed, towing nothing. Just couldn’t seem to handle the speed changes on a highway. My starter went at 30,000 miles - now you have to understand, I probably only actually used that starter twice a day. Honestly. My frame needed to be constantly treated because of rust. The transmission seemed utterly confused at all times and the switching back and forth between V4 to V8 mode was frustrating at lower speed driving (40-50 mph). Oil consumption. And I didn’t even hang on to it long enough to experience all the known issues...transmission failure, collapsed lifters, AC condenser. I really thought I’d own and drive that truck till 400,000 miles...after 50,000 miles I knew that would be impossible.

I love trucks. I own one

But I gotta’ ask: why does a kid need a truck as his first ride?

Why not a Corolla? You get a lot newer vehicle, and a lot lower insurance, fuel, and maintenance bills in his price range.

Reactions: GON
We started out our 2 boys both on used camrys, paid $2500 for one and $ 3000 for the other. Put very little money into them for the 3 years they owned them.

I love trucks. I own one

But I gotta’ ask: why does a kid need a truck as his first ride?

Why not a Corolla? You get a lot newer vehicle, and a lot lower insurance, fuel, and maintenance bills in his price range.

Young guy in a rural area, it's an image thing. Same deal around here. Gotta have an older American truck driving down the main street with some horrible country music playing too loud on the radio over the strait piped exhaust. Can't get that effect with a Corolla :LOL:

He would get a lot more value out of a car than a truck I know that but he wants a truck it's his money and his parents are ok with it. So that's what he's looking for.

The question wasn't to do with him it was if the other 2 were as good as the chevy trucks since I see so many chevys with high miles ect. I see enough very high mileage chevy trucks that there is definitely a trend . I don't see the other 2 for sale with as many miles as the chevy.
I only mentioned him to give the back story as to why I was looking in the first place and what I have noticed.

My first vehicle was a beater truck. It ran but couldn't move under its own power! now that's a beater.

I agree, full sized truck is a lousy first vehicle for a teen, too easy to get sideways, expensive on gas, insurance, etc. All those points got covered though so I won't belabor it (other than to agree with them).

My impression over the years was that GM would keep making the same part for a few decades, whether it was a good design or not. Whereas Ford would tinker with things endless and have mid-year changes. That has a ripple effect on parts replacement and stocking of said parts. Makes the GM cheaper overall, especially at high miles where no matter what make it was, parts were going to be worn out.

Dodge just couldn't hold a candle with lackluster sales for years.

For $3K, in the used truck market, you’re going to get nothing but high mileage trucks.

In that case, condition and service records matter more than brand or specific power train. You want something that’s been looked after.

You could have the most reliable power train ever built, but it’ll be toast if it’s been neglected for 200,000 miles. Conversely, an average truck that has been maintained by a careful owner will have all the other systems in decent repair; brakes, suspension, etc.

A $3000 pickup will be a project/beater and will nickel or dime the owner quickly. On the Fords, the 4.6 will be a solid choice, even at very high mileage. I owned two of them, and would take either of the trucks back in a heartbeat. Not flashy, not going to win any races, but very, very reliable and they will get the job done. Guaranteed the rest of the truck is going to need some work at 3k, but the engine would be solid.
Afraid so … and even the legendary 4.6L is not perfect … made the down payment to help my son get a mint 2010 F150 two years back … just handed him $2k for head gasket job …

The 2010 4.6l is a 3V engine with VVT and more complex heads. The older 4.6 (crown vic, F150, etc) was 2 valve and dead reliable. Look for the 2 valve version if you want reliability.

Afraid so … and even the legendary 4.6L is not perfect … made the down payment to help my son get a mint 2010 F150 two years back … just handed him $2k for head gasket job …

He would get a lot more value out of a car than a truck I know that but he wants a truck it's his money and his parents are ok with it. So that's what he's looking for.

The question wasn't to do with him it was if the other 2 were as good as the chevy trucks since I see so many chevys with high miles ect. I see enough very high mileage chevy trucks that there is definitely a trend . I don't see the other 2 for sale with as many miles as the chevy.
I only mentioned him to give the back story as to why I was looking in the first place and what I have noticed.

Will just depend on the area. There are tons of insanely high mileage Windsor and Modular Ford trucks, I expect in "Dodge country" you'd find the same with the 318/360. My buddy had one of those full sized RAM vans with the 318 in it and it had some insane mileage on it, like 300-400 thousand miles (not km). I've seen F-150's with the 4.6L and 700+ thousand Km. One of my buddy's brothers had one with just under 600,000 on it and managed to blow it up not checking the oil level. It was an oilfield truck and had the living crap driven out of it.

A combo that he's not likely to kill himself in would be an old Ford with the 300 I6. Lots of torque, can often find one with a 5spd in front of it, and he'd have to work to wrap that around a tree. Only concerns with those motors were the exhaust manifold bolts and the nylon timing gears.

Back