Big three having a motor oil sales war?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battle is for market share.

Walmart is the battlefield.

Castrol, Mobil, and Pennzoil are all vying for market share.

How long will the $22 premium synthetic jug last?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

How long will the $22 premium synthetic jug last?

1 OC?

First post, we got a winner!!

maybe they are all going to switch formulas, leaving us with a stash of utterly useless and woefully obsolete oil.

Originally Posted By: datech
maybe they are all going to switch formulas, leaving us with a stash of utterly useless and woefully obsolete oil.

Man... I really hope that was sarcasm.

Originally Posted By: datech

yeah cuz it would be horrible to stock up on something like GC or PP......
shocked.gif

Is it competition, or is it pressure from Wal-Mart?

I can't imagine any of the majors risking their products being pulled from Wal-Mart's shelves for months at a time.

That happened to my wife's former employer in the household products industry. Wal-Mart asked them to lower their prices, the company declined, and Wal-Mart said, "Enjoy a year of no sales at our stores." The company sent a team of negotiators to Arkansas and got product back on the shelves in a few months.

Last edited:
It's probably because of all the new synth plants like the Shell GTL plant that came online last yr & the new PAO plant opened by ExxonMobil this year which more than DOUBLED Mobil's PAO capacity:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/232db228#/232db228/36

There's a surge of synth base stocks but demand is still lower than supply. They can't just turn off the refineries either so the next best thing is to lower prices to try to increase demand. Shell knew about the Mobil PAO plant which is probably why they have the FRN promo for so long.

At least in the 10W-30 flavor, EDGE now says Fluid Titanium Technology on the BLACK jugs...

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve

I can't imagine any of the majors risking their products being pulled from Wal-Mart's shelves for months at a time.

That happened to my wife's former employer in the household products industry. Wal-Mart asked them to lower their prices, the company declined, and Wal-Mart said, "Enjoy a year of no sales at our stores." The company sent a team of negotiators to Arkansas and got product back on the shelves in a few months.

This is a good read:
http://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man-who-said-no-wal-mart

Had it been my company, the reply would have been. "Fine. I'll make sure my product is on the shelves of every one of your competitors." Wal-Mart is large but the rest of their competitors is even larger. Sell to every one of them and make more than messing with Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
maybe its because when it was $24.00 A jug their sales went way down. I raised my oci miles from 5000 to 6000 when the price went up on oil and so did some others I know.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
maybe its because when it was $24.00 A jug their sales went way down. I raised my oci miles from 5000 to 6000 when the price went up on oil and so did some others I know.

Crazyoildude, please continue fine-tuning Wal-mart's jug pricing with your variable OCI's. The rest of us really appreciate it.

What sucks is I always need 6 quarts for an oil change. 5 quarts is a great deal if your car takes only 5 quarts. To buy the 6th quart costs another almost $8.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back