Big Surprise when I went to check oil

I see them eating my garden. Out comes the Hava Heart-less. Caught wood chucks get gassed in a steel trash can with a trash bag cover. I can't use a gun cuz of neighbors. Moving them is illegal. Killing them isn't

I think if I lived somewhere where groundhogs were prevalent, I would probably get some outdoor cats. My parents had one that would kill any small animal that moved on their property. Used to find the bones left over, nothing else.

I think if I lived somewhere where groundhogs were prevalent, I would probably get some outdoor cats. My parents had one that would kill any small animal that moved on their property. Used to find the bones left over, nothing else.
I've not met a cat yet that would tangle with a groundhog, maybe a baby one, but not an adult. On the other hand, my aunt had a boxer mix that was REALLY proficient at clearing them out. Although, just like a cat, she would bring the dead ones up on the porch for all to see.

Are you vegetarian then?
Of course not. Listen you guys have this all wrong, the human animal is omnivorous and if I needed food I have zero issues with hunting for it, but as it is the butchers shop is more convenient. I also have no problem killing people if need be, be it in war or domestic crime so I have no problem with weapons either.
What I do have a problem with is killing for fun and trophy hunters, I just don't see the point. When I was 15 I saw a fat kid shoot a small animal with a BB gun and laugh like crazy so I shot fatso in the arse with it and he ran off screaming and crying. That experience was very enlightening to me.
There is no point in this thread anymore, it is getting lame.

Of course not. Listen you guys have this all wrong, the human animal is omnivorous and if I needed food I have zero issues with hunting for it, but as it is the butchers shop is more convenient. I also have no problem killing people if need be, be it in war or domestic crime so I have no problem with weapons either.
What I do have a problem with is killing for fun and trophy hunters, I just don't see the point. When I was 15 I saw a fat kid shoot a small animal with a BB gun and laugh like crazy so I shot fatso in the arse with it and he ran off screaming and crying. That experience was very enlightening to me.
There is no point in this thread anymore, it is getting lame.
That punk must have moved to my neighborhood … he’d climb this tree to gather China berries and shoot at us with a slingshot … the day he went up the wrong side of the tree we knew the wasp nest was there … 😳

@Trav I guess it's just a difference in philosophies. I have drastically cut the amount of meat I consume because I feel the meat industry is unethical and overall disgusting, but I have no problems smoking a groundhog.

@Trav I guess it's just a difference in philosophies. I have drastically cut the amount of meat I consume because I feel the meat industry is unethical and overall disgusting, but I have no problems smoking a groundhog.
You don't agree with the meat industry in their practices but you only "cut" your meat consumption?? Sounds hypocritical to me.

Would you "smoke" the neighbors cat if it were on your engine??

I have groundhogs living under my shed...they are a nuisance and have 'escape' holes dug all over my yard. I've trapped a few and taken them far away (I've been told that if you take them less than 10 miles they'll be back....I've also been told that when you take them to a new location the groundhogs already there will attack the newcomer....who knows what's true)...One thing that is true is that they are destructive and while I am an animal lover...I have no issue putting a little lead in them....besides that they breed like rabbits so your problem grows exponentially.

Grondhogs have undermined the foundation of my barn. I now have a crack in the block from top to bottom where it is settling out. I have had rabid ones on the place. My garden was once destroyed by a groundhog. I keep them off my property. I certainly don't want them getting into anything that has wiring.

You don't agree with the meat industry in their practices but you only "cut" your meat consumption?? Sounds hypocritical to me.

Would you "smoke" the neighbors cat if it were on your engine??
I'm not perfect. I went from meat every day to once a week or so.

And no, the hypothetical neighbor's cat is a pet. It has value. It brings joy. Groundhogs are pests. Like rats but bigger.

I hate the meat industry and their inhumane treatment of poor animals, okay they are being raised for food but I think they should at least have a good existence while they are here. I buy free range beef and poultry from a local farm, the animals are humanly treated and fed well.

We too are now buying most of our meat from local farms. We know how the animals are kept there. My son recently began a regenerative farming practice and will be dealing with livestock in a more holistic way. Glad to see that more people are becoming aware of the alternatives to feed lot farming and the like.

When I was a kid my uncle hunted groundhogs, dairy farmers hated them because cows stepped in the holes and broke their legs.
A friend just spent big money having his truck towed then fixed because of mice chewing up the wiring harness.

In western Nebraska they have problems with prairie dogs to to point ranchers will hire you to come out and kill them. I knew a couple guys that went out to the same ranch a couple times a year. This rancher not only paid them but put them up for a week with all expenses paid. I was asked several times if I wanted to come along but always passed.

Back