Big Surprise when I went to check oil

So a couple hours ago I step outside to check the fluids in my truck and see a flash underneath, in my mind I thought wow that was a big bird. Pop the hood only to be face to face with a 12 lb groundhog sitting on top the engine. He made an about face and went down behind the motor. I got a stick and probed but could not get him to move out. WARNING dont read any further if you like these things. I went inside and got my 22 pistol and keys, came out and started the truck. After about 2 or 3 min he dropped out, walked to the side of the truck and looked like he wanted to go back up. At least he did for 5 sec until POP. Now hes buzzard bait.
I have seen squirrels go up into the engine before and they usually meet the same end although from a distance when they try hopping away with my firewall insulation. Is there something that can be done to keep groundhogs out. They dont even need to chew on anything, just their weight will pull the wires out.

Do the squirels leave a bunch of saved food on top of your intake manifold or somewhere else in the engine compartment or why do you think a ground hog went in there? Around here its very common to have mice/squirels start to store food in the engine areas of cars as summer ends then they are trying to hide out there as it gets cold. Ive also seen stray cats get into engine area for warmth.

Yea I have a problem every spring with them digging under my 12x20 shed. I had to dig a trench 4" deep 2' wide around it and put fence wire down right up to the 4x4's and bury it to stop them.
The squirrels seem to go in to steal the firewall insulation and the insulation mat above the tranny, I cant imagine why the groundhog went in but after a little research I did find a ton of people complaining about groundhogs stuck in engine bays and chewing wiring harnesses.

So a couple hours ago I step outside to check the fluids in my truck and see a flash underneath, in my mind I thought wow that was a big bird. Pop the hood only to be face to face with a 12 lb groundhog sitting on top the engine. He made an about face and went down behind the motor. I got a stick and probed but could not get him to move out. WARNING dont read any further if you like these things. I went inside and got my 22 pistol and keys, came out and started the truck. After about 2 or 3 min he dropped out, walked to the side of the truck and looked like he wanted to go back up. At least he did for 5 sec until POP. Now hes buzzard bait.
I have seen squirrels go up into the engine before and they usually meet the same end although from a distance when they try hopping away with my firewall insulation. Is there something that can be done to keep groundhogs out. They dont even need to chew on anything, just their weight will pull the wires out.
So lets get this straight, the creature was out of the truck and you could have run him off but instead you shot him?

I dream of the day I live in a state where it’s legal to do the ⬆️. Not shooting animals necessarily, just the ability to have access to a tool when needed.

So lets get this straight, the creature was out of the truck and you could have run him off but instead you shot him?
If you saw what they are doing to my 5000$ tractor shed you would know why I fully approve of the actions taken.
"Running them off" doesnt work, neither does fortification except the most extreme types.

Trapping live/kill, poison- both bait or smoke, and pellet or firearm work.

they used to fiercely tear into my Grandparents RV back when I was a teen after a couple thousand dollar repairs.. we got rid of them.

No to mention i bent a spindle mowing when I hit a fresh hole in the field.. and various other things.. they look cute but are terrible.

If you ever s had squirrels eating your house/garage. They can be cute to feed but if they start in on your property.. they are just bushy tail rats.

I live trapped 3 groundhogs this year and relocated them, which is preferred but there are other options for extremely smart or dumb ones.

Last edited:
I told you not to read on but yes, its been my extensive experience that once they find something they want running them off just lets them return later when you dont see them. Trust me I have tried to run them off before, motion sensor lights, radios left on for days near their holes, Fox urine soaked cotton balls, smoke bombs, hot pepper. I have had families of 4 or 5 browsing my back yard. If they stay away from the house I leave them alone, once they cross the line to damage something, No more mister nice guy.

Edit: So you know live trapping and release is illegal. You cannot transport pest animals to someone elses property so if you trap them you just have to shoot them in the trap.

Last edited:
My ex-FIL had one crawl up into the engine compartment of his pickup without him knowing it was there. He got behind the wheel, turned the key and BANG. So he opens the hood and finds a shredded groundhog all tangled up in the serpentine belt. It actually popped the serp belt off the pulleys. Pretty nasty stuff. At least it was a quick end for the little critter.

Same guy had a mouse or something pack a catalytic converter full of deer corn. Olds Cutlass. It was so choked up it needed a tow to the dealer. He hated varmints and they hated him right back.

I told you not to read on but yes, its been my extensive experience that once they find something they want running them off just lets them return later when you dont see them. Trust me I have tried to run them off before, motion sensor lights, radios left on for days near their holes, Fox urine soaked cotton balls, smoke bombs, hot pepper. I have had families of 4 or 5 browsing my back yard. If they stay away from the house I leave them alone, once they cross the line to damage something, No more mister nice guy.

Edit: So you know live trapping and release is illegal. You cannot transport pest animals to someone elses property so if you trap them you just have to shoot them in the trap.
so is discharging a firearm in the city limits . I mean I guess I could dunk the trap in a tub or poison/gas them with tractor, but I just cant do that.

Now out at the farm. .22mag on the dumb ones.. the smart ones stay away and live long life. I personally havent had to shoot any in 20 years or so.. the other wildlife seems to be taking care of it.. we had some bobcats and such on camera.

We have problems with rats and mice setting up housekeeping under your hood. I went out to mow and tried to start my zero turn. Engine made a heck of a racket and I noticed small plastic parts around the flywheel. Removed the shroud and found a rat had built a nest in the plastic fan blades bolted to the flywheel. He had jammed a substantial oak stick in there and when I tried to start the engine it stripped the blades off. I have no problem at all with using any and all methods to remove the critters. I try to keep rat poison in my outbuildings.

You won't really like this answer 'cause it stinks, but it worked for me to get them out from under my shed.
Janitor strength Ammonia or Fox urine. Dribble it around where you don't want them to go. They won't stay, afraid they'll get et. Apparently can't tell the difference between really strong ammonia and predators' urine.
But yeah, lead to the head is the only way to permanently make them go away.
Illegal to poison, illegal to trap and release, too many pansies passing touchy feely laws, etc. Only leaves us with acute lead poisoning.

Samven, I'm concerned about the groundhog's brazen behavior while you were standing nearby. Most critters would have run away with a person nearby. That one didn't. I'd be concerned about rabies. West Virginia and Virginia have problems with it in raccoons, foxes, bats, skunks, feral cats, and some other animals, and you're in West Virginia.

Keep an eye on other critters that show up. You don't one that is rabid attacking you.

Back