Big problem, any way to get this out?

I want a set of those....badly.
Those look nice, especially if they work. I may have to spring for this set in case this happens again or if I can't get it out tomorrow.

Well, I'm off to Napa to buy the square shank extractors recommended above. The spiral extractor I have didn't budge it. More than likely the square one won't either. Her Dad had a couple of the Snap on square extractors but they were both too small.

Well, I'm off to Napa to buy the square shank extractors recommended above. The spiral extractor I have didn't budge it. More than likely the square one won't either. Her Dad had a couple of the Snap on square extractors but they were both too small.
Just make sure they are large enough. Not sure if the set i have would be big enough, take the spark plug with you to size.

Just make sure they are large enough. Not sure if the set i have would be big enough, take the spark plug with you to size.
They didn't have the kit in stock but they had the big #5 one by itself and is what I bought. It fits down in the hole but it's still not budging. I was hitting it with my impact to see if the shock would jar it loose but still nothing. My impact is not that powerful so I wasn't surprised.

Do you have a propane torch? I would remove the extractor, heat the remaining plug as hot as you can, then at arms length spray it down with whatever penetrating fluid you have on hand to cool it. Let it sit then try the extractor again.

Well, finally success. My fiancé's dad brought over his bigger impact and that is what finally got it out. Initially it wouldn't budge after multiple times of trying to reverse it out.

We finally said screw it and decided to give up so I reversed the direction of the impact so I could try and get the extractor out which was in the direction of tightening it and the extractor wasn't coming out. I hit it a few more times and the actual plug slightly moved. So I just kept going back and forth for a while. I stopped and sprayed more PB blaster down in the hole and I let it sit for about 30 minutes before finishing the job.

It did slightly mess up the threads in the head though because they didn't look right to me from what I could see and when I went to try and screw in one of the old plugs, it wouldn't go all the way down before it got very tight and I didn't want to force it. I used a pick and a gun cleaning brush and was getting small pieces of aluminum out of the hole. My spark plug hole thread chaser wasn't the type to use with an extension and ratchet so I went to the parts store and got one that was and was able to clean out the threads so I could get the plug all the way in.

The car started fine and I took it on a test drive and it ran fine and didn't launch the plug out of the head. A guess time will tell.

She only wants the car to last about 20 more months until she retires and then she plans on selling it. It's her work car so she doesn't put a ton of miles on her 2017 F150 and 2007 Mustang GT.

I want to thank everyone for all of the suggestions and input. It was greatly appreciated.

PS. I wasn't able to get the extractor out of the remains of the spark plug even after putting it in a vise and using a very large cresent wrench on it. Her dad is going to try but if not, it was only a little over $4. Well worth it for that price.

She only wants the car to last about 20 more months until she retires and then she plans on selling it. It's her work car so she doesn't put a ton of miles on her 2017 F150 and 2007 Mustang GT.
I was going to say , please tell me you used some anti-seize on the plugs going in. But i guess you won't be the guy changing them again!

Reactions: wtd
PS. I wasn't able to get the extractor out of the remains of the spark plug even after putting it in a vise and using a very large cresent wrench on it. Her dad is going to try but if not, it was only a little over $4. Well worth it for that price.
Open the vise to the extractor fits loosely between the jaws, but won't fall through due to the spark plug. put a punch on top of the extractor and hit it with a BFH.

Reactions: wtd
I was going to say , please tell me you used some anti-seize on the plugs going in. But i guess you won't be the guy changing them again!
I did in that hole because I had to put some on the thread chaser per the instructions. I usually don't use anti-seize on plugs and in the roughly 39 years of working on vehicles, this is the first plug I ever had break. There are a lot of differing opinions on whether or not to use anti-seize on plugs and I was taught years ago to not use it. In some of the videos I watched over the past day dealing with getting out broken plugs, several of them that had broken had anti-seize on the plugs. I will be surprised if this car makes it to the next plug change anyway.

Open the vise to the extractor fits loosely between the jaws, but won't fall through due to the spark plug. put a punch on top of the extractor and hit it with a BFH.
Her dad has it but if he can't get it out, I will try that. Thanks.

Back