Big Possum guarding my oil drain pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I had a faster connection, since this would make an excellent photo.
I had had my son trade out the '02 Accord he drives for the Focus, since I wanted to change the Accord's oil and do a drain and fill of the tranny.
I had the car up on ramps, had a 17mm wrench and filter strrap wrench at hand and had laid down a few sheets of newspaper on the concrete to catch the inevitable drips.
I went to fetch my drain pan, which I leave under the oil tank behind the garage and when I was maybe ten feet away, I saw what I at first thought to be a medium sized grey plastic trash bag. On closer inspection, it turned out to be an enormous possum.
I considered poking it away with a long stick, but decided that this wouldn't be a really good idea.
I wanted to do the fluid changes, though, so I ended up using the bucket I usually use to wash the cars. There was plenty of room for it with the car up on ramps.
As I wrote above, I wish that I could post a photo of this beast.
His (maybe her) coat was a lovely silver grey and there was one sky-blue eye watching me warily. The possum never moved a muscle.
I wish the possum good luck in surviving the coming winter.

Possums are completely NON-agressive and harmless. They have teeth, but they won't bite. The most they'll do is hiss at you. People who are afraid of possums are bumbling idiots.

Then I'm a bumbling idiot.
I wasn't about to mess with the thing.
They may be non-agressive, but any animal (or man) will fight if threatened.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I thought possums only lived in warmer climates?

I guess not.

Since they aren't part of our diet, mention of them is quite infrequent.

Possums have a bad rap because they look like large rats. They are NOTHING like rats other than their appearance. They are very sweet animals.

Our Great Pyrenees was a very sweet animal, at least with people he knew and liked.
With strangers, not so much.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I guess not.

Since they aren't part of our diet, mention of them is quite infrequent.

ROFLMAO!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Then I'm a bumbling idiot.
I wasn't about to mess with the thing.
They may be non-agressive, but any animal (or man) will fight if threatened.

I would have left it alone too...

Not because of bumbling idiocy, but because it would have been traumatic for the creature, whether it chose to fight or not.

I guess not.

I've lived in Ohio 50 years and seen plenty in my lifetime!

John

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Possums are completely NON-agressive and harmless. They have teeth, but they won't bite. The most they'll do is hiss at you. People who are afraid of possums are bumbling idiots.

Wrong!

A possum killed my elderly cat several years ago. I avenged "Tigger" by smashing the possums skull in with my sons aluminum bat.

Don't call people idiots. Not nice at all.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit to an atavistic urge to kill the thing.
I have plenty of tools with which to do so, some of which have two barrels.
The possum was doing no harm and posed no threat so I decided that I should simply leave it alone.
I think that this guy may have been living here for some years.
Last May, we saw a large possum feeding on a rotting clementine that we had thrown out in the back yard to be mulched in when I cut the grass.
Same guy?
I always see what I'd taken to be racoon tracks in the snow.
The possum?
If this possum has lived here for some years, he's caused no harm and is more of a native than I am.
Live and let live.

We have a couple possums that live around our house, they aren't afraid of us at all and generally just go about their own business. I've gotten very close to them a few times and one time one hissed at me a little, but he didn't run or anything, just went back to eating whatever he was eating after I walked away. Another time one just played dead for a few minutes until I walked away. I don't mind having them around since they don't seem aggressive or mean, I can't blame the one for hissing at me when I got close to him when he was eating.

My family's garage attracts it's fair share of possums, I'm assuming they like the warmth of the dryer.

Only animal I've ever seen guard an engine was the elusive Honda kitty.

332982_2141235344580_5426482_o.jpg

As wild animals go, a possum is about as harmless as can be. They look very vicious with those big teeth and hissing, but bother one a bit and they will "play possum," which is like playing dead. I've never known one to attack or bite even though I've tormented my fair share of them as a kid. However, I never got close enough to their mouth to see if they can bite. More than one has been picked up by the tail and swung around for amusement when I was a kid. Post childhood, I advocate always letting them alone. Live and let live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back