Big news around here re: EV and battery manufacturing

👍🏻 The first GM/Ultium EV battery plant opens in Warren/Lordstown, OH in a few months. Then the third is starting construction soon in Lansing, MI.

A bit out of the rust belt, but TN and KY are getting numerous GM and Ford EV battery plants soon too.

Yep-there are massive investments going on in regards to EVs. They batteries will only get better-with the new 800 volt charging up to 80% in 20 minutes, GM and Honda partnering together for Evs around $30,000.00.. This stuff isn't going away on -contrary to wishes by some on this board.

The EVs are coming BITOGers.........

How spread out is manufacturing in Ontario? I get that maybe the proximity to Detroit might be useful for automative parts. But my wife's Civic was assembled in another part of Ontario.

Yep-there are massive investments going on in regards to EVs. They batteries will only get better-with the new 800 volt charging up to 80% in 20 minutes, GM and Honda partnering together for Evs around $30,000.00.. This stuff isn't going away on -contrary to wishes by some on this board.

As long as GM continues support for their EVs unlike the battery the discontinued for the relatively new Spark Electric.

Yep-they are committed to he Ultium batteries to go forward-

It's a fad and EVs are for rich California granola heads and EVs will never make a profit and Tesla will never get a car out the door and Tesla will be boots up any day now suckers and and and and ....

Tesla will never get a (roadster-semi-cybertruck) out the door
Fixed it for you.

On a more serious note, Tesla is the only company really cranking out the EV's. The rest of the world is playing catch up, and battery/chip/copper/magnet/materials/parts/labor shortages are taking their toll.

Unfortunately, it's even affecting Tesla, as their new 4680 battery is not being produced in sufficient numbers to fill each model Y. So they are producing a limited batch of Model Y's with a reduced number of 4680's (limiting range to well below the standard battery model Y) and selling only to Tesla employees. Not a good start for their new battery.

As long as GM continues support for their EVs unlike the battery the discontinued for the relatively new Spark Electric.
Yep-they are committed to he Ultium batteries to go forward

That’s not accurate. Just some dumb owner started that rumor. They were just temporarily out of stock due to supply chain issues.

“A recent report written by a current Chevy Spark EV owner for an electric vehicle enthusiast site indicated that GM had decided to stop offering replacement 18.4 kWh battery packs for the ChevySpark EV. We’re happy to now report this article wasn’t entirely accurate, as GM will indeed continue to sell replacement battery packs for the electric hatch”

The 800 Volt cars have been round a while now.
The 800 "promise" has sadly not yet materialized.

The 800 Volt cars have been round a while now.
The 800 "promise" has sadly not yet materialized.
But the point is that the system is coming. It will make short(er) charging times viable. Again- all these obstacles- perceived or real, will be solved. They are not insurmountable.

It's a fad and EVs are for rich California granola heads and EVs will never make a profit and Tesla will never get a car out the door and Tesla will be boots up any day now suckers and and and and ....

Right, take the grievances about hybrids 20 years ago, scratch out "hybrid" and put in "EV"

I replaced my $15000 predicted prius battery for $1950 just last year... only 17 years old, what a liability

Right, take the grievances about hybrids 20 years ago, scratch out "hybrid" and put in "EV"

I replaced my $15000 predicted prius battery for $1950 just last year... only 17 years old, what a liability
Thats a great deal, I've heard of indy shops rebuilding batteries by hand (yikes), I'm sure there are kits out there if you're adventurous enough. Was this an aftermarket rebuild? What's the warranty and did you notice a difference once the new battery was installed?

But the point is that the system is coming. It will make short(er) charging times viable. Again- all these obstacles- perceived or real, will be solved. They are not insurmountable.

There are already 800 volt systems in place - these have not lived up to the promises made. .

Im not arguing improvements wont be made.

CKN - The BEV concerns expressed here may have been misinterpreted.

BEV concerns in summary:
More expensive than a comparably sized ICE
Takes much longer to recharge than an ICE
Range is limited compared to an ICE
ICE pay a larger share of road taxes

If those concerns are solved, without taxpayer subsidies, and paying fair share of road taxes, most BITOGERs would be onboard imo.

BEV concerns in summary:
ICE pay a larger share of road taxes

If those concerns are solved, without taxpayer subsidies, and paying fair share of road taxes, most BITOGERs would be onboard imo.
I don't disagree with many of your points. However-many, many on this forum have extreme paranoia when it comes to new tech of almost any kind. If you don't agree-we can agree to disagree.

I think these three will be an issue for quite some time and an EV will remain a "second car" for most households which is fine, you still may see a market saturation of 30% with the current technology over the next decade until future technology makes them more convenient to use as well as larger and more capable.
Now for the EV people, dont get your feathers ruffled, as an empty nester we may even own one some day as a second vehicle since we have one car that is used locally all the time and MAYBE gets 5000 miles a year put on it but it will be a long time before the items posted by Danno are addressed to make me own a good size EV SUV that will replace my ICE SUV

Last I heard it was about $4-6k with all new cells in a reman OEM pack + install. What is in the $1950 pack?

Thats a great deal, I've heard of indy shops rebuilding batteries by hand (yikes), I'm sure there are kits out there if you're adventurous enough. Was this an aftermarket rebuild? What's the warranty and did you notice a difference once the new battery was installed?
No rebuild; brand new Toyota.

It was definitely noticeable.

Already was corrected by another about the Spark battery being discontinued.

Last edited:
Back