Big Iguanas roaming around here in Florida

I saw this big iguana munching on some grass as I was leaving a restaurant.

In some areas of Florida people buy iguanas as pets then let them loose once they grow too big and they become a nuisance crapping all over the place and swimming in people’s pools.

5D59A962-FFF7-4F38-BB6B-86C8453892AC.jpeg
333CBD40-048E-4FB7-8F5D-747A0D1A9656.jpeg

Last edited:
Hopefully there’s no nuclear testing in your area. Oh 2020. Lol.

We went on a cruise last February and saw a few on their island. Probably a natural insect control. I was able to get close to a few before they ran into the bushes. Biggest thing we get here is salamanders. Lol

Yes, they eat fruiting tree flowers, for example passion fruit, also the fruit itself. They also eat vegetable leafs, stripping spinach, potato, arugala and much more. We trap and kill them (noose trap and small animal cage traps) but as mentioned previously, many people around here eat them.

Last edited:
I'm not usually squeamish, but the thought of eating lizard is not very appealing to me. People talk about eating the pythons, too, but I hear they are very high in mercury.

I'm not usually squeamish, but the thought of eating lizard is not very appealing to me. People talk about eating the pythons, too, but I hear they are very high in mercury.
ok but think about it this way, iggies are the "other" other white meat:p

Had a huge one in my carport about 15 years ago. This was 10 miles east of Tampa kinda in the the suburbs. Put it in back to figure out what to do with it and it took off in brush. About 5 foot long.

Back