Big Grills

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Is there an actual need for the larger grill openings we see in many cars, and which many people complain about from a styling perspective?

Is this purely for styling or do the new, more complex engines with more electronics and tighter engine compartments actually benefit from greater airflow? Is there greater airflow?

On most of the vehicles that have the "big grill" styling, only a small portion of grill is actually open to air flow through it. Personally, I am not a fan of this styling. Audi started it and Lexus took it to the next level. On pickups, Dodge (Ram) started it. It has been claimed that the manufacturers started doing it because the Chinese are big fans of the big grill styling. Lexus has admitted that grilles too large for the vehicle they're fitted to can polarize, rather than attract buyers, and they are getting some push-back (outside of China).

Last edited:
This one's too big for me, but my brother loves it. Says the electronics are nice when grilling at night!
Grill.jpeg

Is there an actual need for the larger grill openings we see in many cars, and which many people complain about from a styling perspective?

Is this purely for styling or do the new, more complex engines with more electronics and tighter engine compartments actually benefit from greater airflow? Is there greater airflow?
IMO a lot of it was the result of regulation. Specifically the EU Pedestrian Safety legislation which was rolled out in late 2000's and went into effect over a period of time after and continues today.

Then there's the addition of sensors and other driving aids which also had an impact on front end design.

Lastly vehicles are getting larger in general

Reminds me of an old Mad Magazine feature I saw years ago (in a really old issue that belonged to my dad). They were making fun of automotive trends, and the one I remembered most was the increasing use of chrome on new cars. Used to be, there was no chrome. Then there was just a little chrome, like on the hood ornament. Then they introduced chrome bumpers. Then it was the chrome on the grille and around the window frames. Soon, all cars had chrome trim all around them. Someday soon, paint and chrome will be about equal. Next, cars will have more chrome than paint... Before finally culimnating in cars that are all chrome! Then they'll reverse the process by introducing paint trim... The illustrations were the best, like the car that was all chrome even had chrome windshields, and the driver had to stick his head out the window to see.

Reminds me of an old Mad Magazine feature I saw years ago (in a really old issue that belonged to my dad). They were making fun of automotive trends, and the one I remembered most was the increasing use of chrome on new cars. Used to be, there was no chrome. Then there was just a little chrome, like on the hood ornament. Then they introduced chrome bumpers. Then it was the chrome on the grille and around the window frames. Soon, all cars had chrome trim all around them. Someday soon, paint and chrome will be about equal. Next, cars will have more chrome than paint... Before finally culimnating in cars that are all chrome! Then they'll reverse the process by introducing paint trim... The illustrations were the best, like the car that was all chrome even had chrome windshields, and the driver had to stick his head out the window to see.
The 1958 Buick looked like it was designed by a French pastry chef ...

1660324221869.jpeg

I vote for style, just like those big wheels with small brake rotors these days. Big cars with small wheels and small grills look odd, and won't sell.

There is much less cooling need these days with the improved fuel efficiency, and they have to fake engine sound now, so yeah, way less cooling needed.

Back