Big GM safety recall for their late model vehicles out

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a lot of models reported so investigate to see if your effected.

Nothing like something incredable simple like a steering gear. You would have thought as the first ones to pioneer power steering in mass produced vechiles that they would have master manufactureing a steering gear?

I know I am going to be accused of GM bashing but that is not how I mean it. My real point is that most of these recalls from manufctures are for really stupid stuff. It is never anything technilogicaly challenging it is always something that it a no brainer and has already been worked out generations ago by other engineers. Their is simply no excuse for it!!!

I can tell you how these things happen because I used to track these things and find the source or root cause. It almost always comes down to money! The OEM puts the clamps to the supplier to make it cheaper so they make a design change with out revaladateing the part. Sure an engineer eye balls the redesign but that is about it. Then they pay for any retooling loseing most of their saveing on the design change. Then they start churning out 100,000 cars or trucks and putting the parts on just in time. SO their is not even a chance to make sure the parts meet the redesigned spec. let alone test them. So the purchaser becomes the quality tester. Then if a problem arises they calulate the cost of fixing it versus take a few hits from law suites. If the cost to fix is greater then the expexted payouts they do nothing unless the government or public opion force them to!! So then redesign the part back to preety much what they started with or more expensive and then retool etc...... If the bean counter would not try to reel in the engineers so much this would not happen so often.

Things like steering gears, wiper motors, drive shaft yokes, power window regulator, control arms,ball joints,rotors, ring and pinon gears etc.. basic mechanical systems and electrical are preety much plug and chug. You can basicly plug in all the parameter and design one almost rote(sp) with little to no thought. All the basic rules of thumb have been worked out. The only way you can have a problem is when you try to make them cheaper and cheaper.

Their are a lot of things like this that simple should never happen. Knives, Tools, Rifles are all good examples of old technologys that have already been well worked out. It is no secrete what needs to be done to make any of the above perform almost flawlessly time and time again. If you get one that is no good then you know one of two things either the quality control did not do it's job or the company does not care? Sure you are always going to get a few lemons but 100,000's of lemons ????????

The above applys to all manufactures not just GM!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back