Big Data (Android / iOS) watching everything you do.

I subscribe to a couple of Security podcasts and this study popped up on a bunch of them.

It appears that Apple and Google are using their operating systems to track a lot of information about their users regardless of Privacy settings. The study shows a shocking amount of data that is being collected on average every 4.5 minutes from your device and it's not just about you and your usage / location. It's about other devices nearby your phone and connected to your home WiFi Network.

I'm glad I'm running a custom ROM that prevents this and I would encourage others to look into that as well based on this information. There quite a few out there and not all of them require rooting or leaving the boot loader in an unlocked state. (Some do though).

Enjoy the study.

I'm glad I'm running a custom ROM that prevents this and I would encourage others to look into that as well based on this information. There quite a few out there and not all of them require rooting or leaving the boot loader in an unlocked state. (Some do though).
Do you have any info on the custom ROMs you're referring to?

Ed

Eventually I'll be doing this to my phone's O/S.
I've never did it so I want to have another phone around until I feel comfortable doing this process.

Do you have any info on the custom ROMs you're referring to?

Ed
I'm running CalyxOS but there is also Graphene, Copper OS, Lineage OS, E OS to name a few. I like Calyx because it has a great support community and has the ability to install MicroG which allows you to use all your favourite Google Apps without them complaining about Google Services Framework not being installed. It anonymizes whatever information is sent using this framework to Google for things like Push notifications etc. It's a perfect blend of privacy and usability. To get your Google Apps on the phone use F-Droid which is on the phone ROM (CalyxOS) already to download the Aurora App Store app and use that to get all your Google Play Apps without the need for a Google Login. (Updates included)

I'm running CalyxOS but there is also Graphene, Copper OS, Lineage OS, E OS to name a few. I like Calyx because it has a great support community and has the ability to install MicroG which allows you to use all your favourite Google Apps without them complaining about Google Services Framework not being installed. It anonymizes whatever information is sent using this framework to Google for things like Push notifications etc. It's a perfect blend of privacy and usability. To get your Google Apps on the phone use F-Droid which is on the phone ROM (CalyxOS) already to download the Aurora App Store app and use that to get all your Google Play Apps without the need for a Google Login. (Updates included)
Thank you.

Unfortunately, these OSes are for Android...and I have an iPhone 8.

Ed

You can run some OS's on Apple from what I understand but it involves rooting the phone. I've heard it discussed but I'm not sure what OS's there are.

Doesn't matter as everything is online these days, custom ROM is just a placebo to make you feel better. I use multiple accounts on multiple devices so my wife won't know I'm watching naughty stuff, but that's about it. I know they would not try to sell ads of naughty stuff on my iPad when my kids are watching PBS kids, that's good enough for me. They can sell me ads of tires and engine oil and potato chips and timeshare all they want, it won't make a difference to me.

Hollywood knows where to look for you when you pirate movies anyways, so it doesn't help me nothing.

It's just one piece in the puzzle for sure... VPNS, multiple accounts, as much fake information as you can use with your online accounts. Using a PO Box where possible. I'm not paranoid but I'm also not willing to give up personal data too easy.

Back