Big boys, big toys.

Hello all,
I am currently trying to find a bicycle that won't fall apart in a year, and has strong enough brakes for my 320lbs self. I'm 6'1". Wish to get my weight in 220lbs-240lbs range and need a bike that can take such abuse and help me get to my goal weight. Also trying to stay below $500. Do plan on some mountain riding, so big brakes is a must. Any recommendations for a heavy rider?

Hello all,
I am currently trying to find a bicycle that won't fall apart in a year, and has strong enough brakes for my 320lbs self. I'm 6'1". Wish to get my weight in 220lbs-240lbs range and need a bike that can take such abuse and help me get to my goal weight. Also trying to stay below $500. Do plan on some mountain riding, so big brakes is a must. Any recommendations for a heavy rider?
I actual don't think that is possible at all - NEW. You might find something used, just be persistent and be quick. But $500 bikes new now - and maybe I am too picky - but it will be all junk components. My fork set alone was $750, for example.

But don't wait for a bike. Get active. Lose weight by eating correctly, read the labels. Try to keep every meal under 30 grams of simple carbs, eat lean and 2-3 vegetables every meal. Don't eat ANY added sugar and never eat white flour or white rice. Lean proteins and veggies and a little fruit.

See a doc and get blood work - lipids, A1c, etc

I’m not that heavy, but I am taller. And I pull a trailer or a tag along with a kid… and a backpack of stuff, and water, etc… on my Trek Verve. Quite possible than when the tongue weight of the tag along and everything is added, we’re not much less thsn your weight.

I got the higher end model, but the verve 1 is $599.

It has an official weight rating of 300 lbs, including the 30lbs of bike, but it seems thst number is generic. This bike feels sturdier than my Scott scale 29er, and has wide tires that could be upgraded to mtb knobby tires. It has a solid fork, which is probably better at your weight and size. But any fork you get at a price point you’re looking at won’t be great anyway. Original mtbs didn’t have spring loaded shocks. You’ll survive just fine.

I'm similar sized to you (6'1" and about 285), and my Trek Marlin 5 seems to be bulletproof so far, but I haven't really put any mountain miles on it (I live in Dallas). It does a fantastic job tooling around the neighborhood with my boys on their BMX bikes though- off road, on road, mud, curbs, little hills, whatever. Plus I like the bright red, white and black color scheme!

It does have big brakes- at the time, it was the least expensive factory bike that had hydraulic disc brakes, which brake like h*ll compared to rim brakes.

IIRC it was about $550 all-in in 2018 when I bought it. Here's the link to the most modern model (same 300 lb limit as the Verve above, FYI):

2021 Trek Marlin 5

Weight loss is eating #1 people think they can exercise to Weight loss wont happen. Diet is key I'd just start walking a bit and eating a daily calorie intake for target weight eating green vegetables and lean meats cut out all junk. I'd target more for 200 lbs at 6'1 honestly that's probably still overweight. I'm 6'1 168 this morning 8 years ago or so I was at 260 diet always was number 1 for me I just started walking that led to a jog now I road bike alot a real lot and I eat back now for that activity. Diet or now I call a lifestyle of eating is always key most people who fail can always point to the diet they let go.
People want overnight results but you didn't become a fat a$$ overnight and setbacks will happen but you go forward and it will come off. I will conclude it is amazing how many problems of your life is all determined by weight and many of the problems you have I had fix themselves just because you have a healthy BMI. Now at 48 I feel better than I ever was in my 30`s .

Weight loss is eating #1 people think they can exercise to Weight loss wont happen. Diet is key I'd just start walking a bit and eating a daily calorie intake for target weight eating green vegetables and lean meats cut out all junk. I'd target more for 200 lbs at 6'1 honestly that's probably still overweight. I'm 6'1 168 this morning 8 years ago or so I was at 260 diet always was number 1 for me I just started walking that led to a jog now I road bike alot a real lot and I eat back now for that activity. Diet or now I call a lifestyle of eating is always key most people who fail can always point to the diet they let go.
People want overnight results but you didn't become a fat a$$ overnight and setbacks will happen but you go forward and it will come off. I will conclude it is amazing how many problems of your life is all determined by weight and many of the problems you have I had fix themselves just because you have a healthy BMI. Now at 48 I feel better than I ever was in my 30`s .
6'1" and 168#? Man you must be lean, and maybe some would call you slim - or just thin framed, I'm kind of squat Italian/Dutch/Scottish (hairy) and barely 5'9" and weigh 171#'s. I have been 165, but that is hard for me to hold. My body burn stalls out at 162. If I get more muscled weight, then I go 168 or so.

That said, yes you are exactly right. I like just being encouraged by a pound or three and not being overly discouraged by +1 or so. It's a journey - feel good about that journey and lots more feels good in life.

At 62 years old I feel 1000000000000000000000000% better than I did at 42 and 200 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!

6'1" and 168#? Man you must be lean, and maybe some would call you slim - or just thin framed, I'm kind of squat Italian/Dutch/Scottish (hairy) and barely 5'9" and weigh 171#'s. I have been 165, but that is hard for me to hold. My body burn stalls out at 162. If I get more muscled weight, then I go 168 or so.

That said, yes you are exactly right. I like just being encouraged by a pound or three and not being overly discouraged by +1 or so. It's a journey - feel good about that journey and lots more feels good in life.

At 62 years old I feel 1000000000000000000000000% better than I did at 42 and 200 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!
Diet #1 that absolutely has to be first and foremost.
Yes I work out 6days a week many times 7 days a week lift weights every other day and heavy even at 48 years old. Ride road bike and or trainer on Zwift on non lift days. People see what I eat daily on this site I post every day and yes I love Craft Beer and used in my diet it is actually science. The day you get everything thing clicking its amazing how you can feel and truly it's all diet related.
Was it all sunshine and lollipops no I had hiccups but never stopped and I never will. I never think now or call it a diet it's just a lifestyle for me. The pics were from this morning only to show it can be done.
Never put a foot down in 60 miles this becoming a good warm up ride.
20210717_110210.jpg
20210617_040846.jpg

Are you looking to mountain bike, or road bike in the mountains.

If we’re talking mountain bikes, unfortunately new and durable isn’t possible for $500. That’s Wal-Mart level bikes.

If you can stretch it, look at a Polygon Xtrada 7. $1,100.
• Good Shimano Hydraulic brakes
• Shimano Deore 1x12 drivetrain, which is their starting point/level for quality mountain components.
• Thru-axles vs. quick release (much stronger)
• 30mm Inner width rims which is kinda the current industry standard for mountain rims.
• Tapered head tube (strong)

Also the Polygon Xtrada 6 (1x11) for $950 would be a decent option. Rims aren’t as strong though.

If we’re talking mountain bikes, unfortunately new and durable isn’t possible for $500. That’s Wal-Mart level bikes.

If you can stretch it, look at a Polygon Xtrada 7. $1,100.
• Good Shimano Hydraulic brakes
• Shimano Deore 1x12 drivetrain, which is their starting point/level for quality mountain components.
• Thru-axles vs. quick release (much stronger)
• 30mm Inner width rims which is kinda the current industry standard for mountain rims.
• Tapered head tube (strong)

Also the Polygon Xtrada 6 (1x11) for $950 would be a decent option. Rims aren’t as strong though.
More likely a road bike, that can take occasional mountains. I'm thinking a full-on mountain bike may be an overkill if it spends 95% of it's life on pavement/gravel...

It is amusing how people will spend twice as much for a bike that is 2 lbs. lighter. Do they realize that 2 lbs. on a 20 lb. bike is not really 10% lighter for performance purposes? It's really only 1% lighter because it's the total weight of bike+rider that matters for power to weight ratio and performance. Plus, most people would do better to lose those 2 lbs. (and more) through proper diet. That's free. Don't worry about the weight of the bike too much.

Also, watch out for the race to lightest weight at the expense of durability. This is common in bicycles, especially in the top end expensive ones.

Some companies are starting to publish each bike's max expected load (rider + all his gear). For some Trek models they say around 275 lbs. plus or minus. That's fine for most of us but big guys like the OP, beware.

$500 is basically the bottom of "real bike shop" bikes- Trek Marlins, Specialized Rockhoppers, various hybrids and comfort bikes, etc... Nothing wrong with those if you're not looking to do serious mountain biking.

They may not be up to bombing it down a Colorado mountain, but they'll all do fine for your average suburbanite for fitness and light off-road purposes, and most importantly, they're something bike mechanics can and will work on- my Trek Marlin 5 doesn't have anything on it that's weird or janky- at worst, it's old, heavy technology - for example I'd have to get a new rear hub to go higher than the 7 speed it comes with. But the point is that I CAN do that if I so desire- there is absolutely nothing but good sense stopping me from putting a dropper post and full XTR components on my bike if I feel like it. You can't do that on a Wal-Mart level bike.

The real question is whether ANY "regular" mountain bike is going to handle a 320 pound person on real mountains. That is a question I don't know. I think I (at 285 plus bike) am close enough (~17 lbs) to the 300 lb weight limit that I'm not going to lose any sleep over what I do on it. But I don't know about a good 50 lbs over (320 + 32 lb bike).

Back