Big Box Retail - Gas Mowers - End Of Season Inventory

Curious question for everyone.......have any of you noticed of depleted or depleting inventory of gas powered push or self propelled mowers in the big box retailer near you?

I happen to be in my local HD and was told that this past season they had only 3 choices of gas powered offers in this category....Honda, Toro, and Troybilt. Dept. head told me that next year there will only be 2, but he would not tell me what brands those would be. I am guessing Toro for sure, but between Honda and Troybilt, I could see Troybilt disappearing. Just curious....anyone know. I am assuming other larger competing retailers will follow.

Last edited:
They want you using an electric mower. I got my 60V Toro self propelled mower for $399, but it's now $499. And as much as I really-really like the thing, it's not a heavy duty mower. It's a finishing mower, for areas my tractor can't easily reach. $500 gets you 15 minutes of heavy cutting, or 40 minutes of light cutting.

By way of comparison, my 21" Snapper commercial push mower with metal swiveling wheels is a much tougher machine, and no electric push mower meets this standard or capability. It will cut a 12 acre field if you ask it to, with just a few refills. Oh, you could do that with the Toro Electric, but it would take you 36 (or more) $300 batteries!

They want you using an electric mower. I got my 60V Toro self propelled mower for $399, but it's now $499. And as much as I really-really like the thing, it's not a heavy duty mower. It's a finishing mower, for areas my tractor can't easily reach. $500 gets you 15 minutes of heavy cutting, or 40 minutes of light cutting.

By way of comparison, my 21" Snapper commercial push mower with metal swiveling wheels is a much tougher machine, and no electric push mower meets this standard or capability. It will cut a 12 acre field if you ask it to, with just a few refills. Oh, you could do that with the Toro Electric, but it would take you 36 (or more) $300 batteries!
My first "real mower" was a Snapper. I have to say it was the best at bagging heavy grass. Yes, I have a Kobalt 80v cordless electric today.....not necessarily by my choice, but I will spare you that story. I really miss my 2 cycle Duraforce Lawnboys.....power and light weight in the same package. Cujet.....I hear you loud and clear! Love the smell of a good 2 stroke exhaust in the morning.....lol. How soon will we see all of the 2 cycle string trimmers disappear too?

Electric OPE is great for the average homeowner who has a 1/4 acre lawn and nice well groomed cedar hedge. The ppl who can't start a small engine well etc. For the rest of us, I'll keep my gas powered stuff thank you!

Let the market decide. Or maybe it has.....

There has also been a drought in most of the country, where the grass is brown and not growing, thus no grass to cut. The drought started when I got my cordless electric Sun Joe, so I didn't get to use it yet :sneaky:

Honda will not disappear. The Honda name sells itself. They will probably start making electric lawn mowers by next year.

Electric OPE is great for the average homeowner who has a 1/4 acre lawn and nice well groomed cedar hedge. The ppl who can't start a small engine well etc. For the rest of us, I'll keep my gas powered stuff thank you!

Let the market decide. Or maybe it has.....
Fabulous, I think you are spot on. I think the market is deciding. It appears just from looking at the Lowes website that they have more cordless electric model offers vs gas powered......thus proving your statement.

My neighbor went from a Honda to a electric, some brand Lowes sells. He said it doesn't spin fast enough to lift the grass up like his gas one did, so it looks uneven a day or two after mowing. He still likes it for some reason.

I am not against electric. I have an electric weed eater and blower - both with a cord. Just not sure why any one would pay 500 bucks for a lawnmower. My mower cost less than 200 bucks 8 years ago and burns maybe 5 gallons of gas the entire year. I change the plug, air filter and oil and sharpen the blade once a year. It will likely outlive me.

Haha me too! I loved the smell of cranking up my Honda CR500:D Two stroke bikes have a special charm about them!

I could never go to electric ever again (I sent years using corded trimmers). Nothing worse that dragging cords around all over the place.

Dragging cords all over the place?! You live under a rock 😂 There's been battery mowers and weed trimmers to choose from for years now. I have been using a 40v green works push mower and Ego 56v weed trimmer with no issues.

Couldn’t pay me to go back to electric. I hate batteries. My gas mower gets put in the shed and starts every time I want to use it for as long as I need
Proven less reliable and more maintenance. Thems the facts.

No more having to go to the gas station with a jerry can. No more mixing. No more winterizing. No need for hearing protection.

My electric mower is lighter and more powerful. 2 Batteries cycle perfectly 45m runtime, 45m charge time. It's a win across the board for me.

I laugh when people are like, I can mow for 6 hours with my gas push mower. It's like, dude, get a bigger mower lol. My reel mower can mow NONSTOP, FOREVER. As if that's the benchmark of a good push mower haha.

Dragging cords all over the place?! You live under a rock 😂 There's been battery mowers and weed trimmers to choose from for years now. I have been using a 40v green works push mower and Ego 56v weed trimmer with no issues.
This was probably back in the early 80s. The cordless lawn equipment back then was a joke. I remember the frail wimpy guys in my parents neighborhood using that stuff. I'm sure it's come a long way since then though haha! I still prefer gasoline.

This was probably back in the early 80s. The cordless lawn equipment back then was a joke. I remember the frail wimpy guys in my parents neighborhood using that stuff. I'm sure it's come a long way since then though haha! I still prefer gasoline.

I still use my gas lawn tractor for the backyard. But, my Ego 2-stage 56v battery snow blower is ready for the snow during the winter 😉 Things have improved,some are just stubborn to new technology that's available.

I want (need?) an electric mower for my one hill, but the price of them is hard to stomach. I’d probably destroy a gas one via oil starvation.

I have noticed lowes lacking on the gas powered push mowers, but gas zero turns and lawn tractors still reign supreme.

I love my Troy Bilt TB130 with the Honda motor.

It’s got to be close to 10 years old if not older. Never had a problem with it, starts first pull every single time. Even after sitting in the shed all winter.
Same here. I bought my TB w/Honda 160 motor in 2009 and it's been perfect. I do have a corded electric mower(GreenMachine) as a backup that my neighbor gave me before they moved to a condo.

Last edited:
Back