bicycle chain specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

I'm looking to add SRAM power links or one of the other similar items that are around on each of our bikes. Thing is, we have a variety of bikes, chains (road and mountain), etc.

What is the best way to know exactly the type of chain? I do not know how they are specced. I haven't looked too closely, but I assume name brand is on the links. I know the number of gears, but I assume that link length and width are probably important.

Any hints?

Thanks!

A good bike shop will be able to help you. I imagine the pitch is standard but all I really know is that for mtb there are 8 speed and 9 speed widths for shimano drivetrains. You'll need to break the chains anyways so I guess you could just bring them in and the shop will know which links you need.

Are you trying to add a powerlink to your existing chain?

I would just wait until your current chain needs replacement, then replace it with a SRAM chain. I don't think it's worth the trouble to retrofit a powerlink onto an existing chain, if that's what you are trying to do.

Yes, powerlink.

Well, on my road bike, I only have 30 miles. I'd like to be proactive with cleaning and maintenance from the start.

Last edited:
Bicycles chains aren't as varied as their motorcycle brethren. As long as you choose by the number of gears, you should be fine. I've never had any interchangeability issues between SRAM and Shimano chains, which I assume is what you'll be dealing with. Campy guys can't let a paragraph go by without mentioning the name...

The one real issue is one of chain length. Stick with the number of links that are in the chain you're replacing and you'll be fine.

It's not a big deal swapping over to a PowerLink. If someone doesn't already have a chain-breaker, one can be had for very little.

To be honest, having made the change to PowerLink equipped SRAM chains, I've never even considered going back. I run them on both Shimano and SRAM gruppos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back