Bias or Radial 13'' Trailer Tires

Working with a friend on putting together a Jeep toter trailer. It's currently on two 3500 pound axles running 175/80-13 wheels. Verified by measuring spindle size, looking up bearings and comparing to another known 3500 pound axle. They are legitimate trailer tires but only rated for 1300 pounds each. 2 are brand new, 2 are original. All four will have to get replaced as the new ones won't be up to the Jeep and the weight of the trailer.

I could step up to 14s or 15s - the hub and brakes are supposed to be compatible with 14 or 15'' wheels. However, I know I won't have a 1 ton truck forever. It's very likely that my F350 will be replaced by a 2020 ranger somewhere around 2023 or 2024 depending on reliability. We're trying to keep weight and COG low so I'd really like to stick with the 13s.

I'm finding a few different higher capacity options on etrailer. Both Load Range E.

Radial Tire, 1650 pounds https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM10210.html

Bias Tire: 1710 pounds https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM1ST79.html ... these are a slightly larger tire.

The Bias tires will have 200 more pounds of fudge factor and will be running at less capacity all the time. They will also handle a lot of the crappy gravel roads and trails I'll be dragging it up now and then. However, I do tow 200+ miles occasionally and they will be subject to 200+ miles at 65 MPH. That does concern me as bias tires tend to run hot.

Radials will handle the longer trips better, tow nicer (they tend to not sway as bad). However, they have a lower load rating and the tires themselves are weaker.

Unfortunately those Carlisle Radial Trail HD are only rated for 1570 each. It looks like the bias might be the best bet for me.

Originally Posted by Rand
can you fit 185/80r13 ?

Yep! That's the size of the higher rated bias ones.

They might not clear the current fenders, but the current fenders are coming off and we will be making custom drive over fenders.

Last edited:
What's the speed rating? I think the last set of trailer tires I got were radial and rated for 75mph.

Do they derate tandems like they do for dual tires on an axle? I'd think they'd run warmer from tire scrub.

The bias-ply tire will serve you well. I've used that particular tire (different size) for many years in boat trailer service with excellent results (never had a failure of these tires in service, including one taking a decent gash in the sidewall (unknown to me) but making it home without incident. (Side note: I tried a set of Taskmasters recently and never again. Nearly impossible to mount and had one fail with less than 7 months in service - 5 of them in storage...)

Be aware that shops typically will not have a tire (the 185 bias ply tire) in stock. It is a bit of an oddball tire size (though it appears to have been used on a lot of pop up campers).

For the relatively short distances you are towing, there is not a lot to be gained with the radials.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MNgopher
The bias-ply tire will serve you well. I've used that particular tire (different size) for many years in boat trailer service with excellent results (never had a failure of these tires in service, including one taking a decent gash in the sidewall (unknown to me) but making it home without incident. (Side note: I tried a set of Taskmasters recently and never again. Nearly impossible to mount and had one fail with less than 7 months in service - 5 of them in storage...)

Be aware that shops typically will not have a tire (the 185 bias ply tire) in stock. It is a bit of an oddball tire size (though it appears to have been used on a lot of pop up campers).

For the relatively short distances you are towing, there is not a lot to be gained with the radials.

It's a size I haven't seen before. I May buy 4 and keep the current two for spares just to get me home. As long as there's no issues with towing 65 or so for 200 miles I'll probably go with the bias.

Originally Posted by supton
What's the speed rating? I think the last set of trailer tires I got were radial and rated for 75mph.

Do they derate tandems like they do for dual tires on an axle? I'd think they'd run warmer from tire scrub.

Speed rating is only 81MPH on all of them. I try to keep my speed at 65 or lower when towing. Sometimes I don't have a choice and my top speed is 40 in the slow lane with 4 ways on. Not derated for tandems, luckily.

Not the greatest choices in small sizes. They were tough to find years ago, and I imagine even tougher now.

A near unicorn size my tent trailer came with from the factory was ST185/80D13 in Load Range D. A pair came to a load rating right around the 3,500 lb mark.

I replaced them by upgrading to a 14", and was towing with a minivan at the time, so I don't think you should have an issue for the future when you downsize your truck. The size I used was a slightly less unicorn of a size, still not easy to find: 185R14C in Load Range D. It is a Euro size "van" tire as they call them, basically an LT tire.

Another option is LT195/75R14. I think Load Range D, but again, a tough size to find.

Then there's ST205/75R14, I believe these are Load Range D. Might be the easiest of the 14" to find.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Unfortunately those Carlisle Radial Trail HD are only rated for 1570 each. It looks like the bias might be the best bet for me.

Originally Posted by Rand
can you fit 185/80r13 ?

Yep! That's the size of the higher rated bias ones.

They might not clear the current fenders, but the current fenders are coming off and we will be making custom drive over fenders.

They also have radial in that size that are higher 1700+, I dont think you have anything to gain by using bias ply.. they will tow harder, get hotter, and not as stable.

The extra capacity is due to the larger tire not being bias ply
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017KY98II/ref=psdc_404866011_t3_B01KOKUV90
is the kenda in the larger size.

Seeing as how the image is not of a Kenda tire in that Amazon link, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

With all of one review, not sure I'd hang my hat on those...

Last edited:
Seeing as how the image is not of a Kenda tire in that Amazon link, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

There are plenty of others.. The OP posted a link to a radial kenda one size smaller, and was considering buying bias play because the larger size has more capacity... plenty of radials in the larger size too.

Personally I'd just upgrade the wheels to 14" or 15" while I was at it.

but buying bias ply for more load rating was not true since radial trailer tires in decent variety are available in 185/80r13

My tent trailer came with Kenda tires. I took that trailer across the country one summer, and had no issues, though by the fifth year of their life, they were wearing quite unevenly. My replacement 14" radials have had no such wear issues.

The tire in the picture is not a Kenda, though. Not sure I would trust that tire, or that particular seller.

Go with 14 or 15" wheels. Most trailers are spec'd to the bare minimum or inadequately as a cost savings. No such thing as too much wheel/tire here.

You get many more choices and with the conditions of towing mentioned it is everyone's best interest. I see so many trailer failures with the off road crowd in the desert.

Guys spend mega $$$$ on their toys and cheap out on the trailer.................... straight from the factory that way.

Last edited:
I had a dual axle travel trailer with 13 inch tires. I ran Maxxis 8008 tires. Better than the cheap tires. Had 2 sets, the first i replaced due to age at 7 years.

If I can find radial in the bigger size, that's definitely what I'll go with! But I'll keep my eyes open for a set of 14 inch wheels if they come up then just buy new tires for them.

Originally Posted by user52165
Go with 14 or 15" wheels. Most trailers are spec'd to the bare minimum or inadequately as a cost savings. No such thing as too much wheel/tire here.

You get many more choices and with the conditions of towing mentioned it is everyone's best interest. I see so many trailer failures with the off road crowd in the desert.

Guys spend mega $$$$ on their toys and cheap out on the trailer.................... straight from the factory that way.

I'm not sure I'd say a practically free 20 year old rusty Ford truck and a 20 year old rusty Jeep with 213000 miles would be mega money.

But when I do spend mega money on a newer truck, it's likely not going to be a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Keeping the trailer as low as possible will be quite helpful when/if I buy a smaller truck.[align:left][/align]

I've run both and had no issue with radials or bias ply trailer tires. I agree that most trailers come with minimum load rated tire, so I've always been a fan of putting a little better tire than needed on especially since trailers tires get treated worse than car/truck tires. Also have been told a taller tire (so it spins slower) is better to keep the heat and bearing wear down.

I'm just going to go with D rated 14''s at this point. While I will be below 7000 pounds trailer/jeep, there just wasn't enough fudge room for my liking. And with 13'' tires nearly imposible to find, I don't want to risk being somewhere and having multiple blowouts and not be able to get a tire. The 14s are available at any tractor supply.

I ended up going with D rated 13s. 185/80-13. I wasn't able to source a full set of 14'' wheels. I have 2000 miles or so on the trailer towing my Jeep. Including two 500 mile round trips at 70MPH.

1720 pounds per tire. Trailer weighs around 6000 to 6200 with the Jeep on it.

I'm slowly collecting 14'' wheels so I can have a set of 5 by the time I need new tires. Then I'll get 205/75-14s

Back