BG44K vs. KREEN for cleaning FI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably covered many times but I couldn't find it.

My past experience was with regular Techron vs. BG44K. Always used Techron 3-4 times/year never noticed any difference figured I was maintaining clean. Used BG44K after mechanic had done full BG treatment on a different vehicle getting rid of carbon. BG made noticeable difference on one tank. Used it at least 1/year after that and kept higher mileage/power and was happy. Did same for friends/families vehicles. I liked that I could only get it at local dealers when asked because it wasn't "shelf" item. They used it for in house work because people paying to get their FI cleaned at the Infiniti dealer whine like crazy if they don't notice a difference.

Started using Kroil for stuck bolts a while ago vs. some others that didn't work. Thought same thing maybe great for fuel injectors cleaning up. Saw Kreen and the 60 page thread as well as many others.

Now also read the regane/techron concentrate all in one threads and maybe that's better than the Techron I feel I wasted lots of money on. I always used the concentrate, did it always have PEA or is that a more recent change. I've been on BG44k for at least 12 years as a reference.

I'll probably do the KREEN in my next oil change anyway. ARX worked good in my since totaled Corolla but was that involved process. Both my cars are now at 100k and deserve some TLC. Both have been on M1, PP, PU since shortly after birth and currently at 7k-8k OCI. Both get good UOA's when done.

BG 109 compression restorer is a great engine oil additive to do a quick clean. Pour it in the crank case before changing oil, run the car for 20 minutes, then change the oil and filter. Gets rid of sludge, carbon, and frees stuck rings.
As far as fuel treatment, yes BG 44K makes Techron look like water. 44K is also often sold in a kit with BG MOA oil additive. MOA is great for increasing an oil's TBN, cleaning power, and ZDDP.

Originally Posted By: salv
As far as fuel treatment, yes BG 44K makes Techron look like water.

So does BG 44K work a lot better than Techron Concentrate or Gumout All-In-One?

It looks like I can get BG 44K for around $14/can if purchase it in a lot of 6 on eBay.

I was also thinking about using a 3M 08963 Fuel System Tune-Up Kit in each of my two vehicles this spring.

When did you last used BG44K? That is, how recent is your experience with BG44K? Have you also tried Gumout Regane all-in-one? It is very cheap at Walmart (under $7) etc and works at least as good as Techron if not better. 3M has the concentrated fuel system cleaner but it has been expensive for a while and I have not been able to find any deals on it after first two orders. I keep the stash for really rainy day and usually use Regane or Techron for normal routine cleaning.

BG chemicals are as good as it gets. BG44k is as good of a fuel additive cleaner as you can buy but it is too expensive, IMO.

Try Redline SI-1 for cleaning FI. Lots of PEA, a UCL and a good anti corrosion package.
$10 and change with free shipping from Amazon.
Since i started using it over 5 yrs ago i have used nothing else, i have proven the results on my flow bench after 30K use.

That's not to say others don't work, i just haven't tested them to the same degree.
Clean the injectors to like new performance, run the car 30K and put them right back in the flow bench and take the numbers with no cleaning.
The results were identical. It works as advertised at least at keeping injectors clean.

I have another set due to come out of a GM 3800 in about 6K that i have reading on and just reinstalled with redline used every tank (a couple of ounces) over 30K.
I want to see the numbers compared to the other set, both are 19lb injectors.

Kreen in the fuel will work well on carbon deposits so if you have a carbon prone engine like a Cadillac N*.
I have no testing date on this product in the fuel system.

I find the SI-1 is good for cleaning FI, but rather weak for combustion chamber deposit. TB cleaner sprayed through plug hole so far gives better result than SI-1

Originally Posted By: Vikas
When did you last used BG44K? That is, how recent is your experience with BG44K? Have you also tried Gumout Regane all-in-one? It is very cheap at Walmart (under $7) etc and works at least as good as Techron if not better. 3M has the concentrated fuel system cleaner but it has been expensive for a while and I have not been able to find any deals on it after first two orders. I keep the stash for really rainy day and usually use Regane or Techron for normal routine cleaning.

Last round of BG44k was about 1 year ago when my stash ran out. Co-workers brother was parts manager at Infiniti dealer saw gave it to me for cost (about $10/can) at the time. I picked up 2 bottles (6oz concentrate) of Regane all in one at AAP today. They had sale going 2 for $10. I'm presuming this is one being discussed as one of the "better" ones. There was like 10 choices and this was the one that was labelled "best" on the box. I needed to fill up so tossed it in. I was at AAP as I just popped a CEL for second time telling my oil control valve the controls CVVT is bad. Many on other forums had same issue 25-30k earlier than me so can't complain too much. $50 part and not hard to change. I'll get to it this week after I spray bolts with KROIL. 102K on the car, steel torx bolt into aluminum head don't want issues getting it out.

Being "at least as good as Techron if not better" for me just doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. I'm hoping much better than Techron and at least as good as BG44k. Like mentioned I spent a lot of money on Techron over the years that I feel was a total waste of money. Maybe it helped keep it better and I'll never know but one $14 can of BG44K was an eye opener.

Last edited:
It is good to know that current BG44K is still good. One thing you need to understand that not all product will work for all people all the time. For me different products have worked wonders at different times on different cars. Unfortunately, BG44K failed to wow me when I tried it few years ago on my car. Given the cost, I did not try it again.

Redline, Techron, Regane, 3M have worked for me but never every single time. I keep a stash of them in my basement and if I feel engine lacking little bit, I start first with Techron and then Regane. I usually save Redline and 3M products for last ditch effort. I have three vehicles which gets dosed way more often than a rational person would do. I am not in to oils as other guys are so FS cleaner is my therapy :)

My new car has yet to see the cleaner but I am itching to dose it before FF oil gets changed. I have not decided which bottle gets selected for that honor! May be I should start a topic asking for suggestion???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back