BfGoodrich traction t/a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with traction t/a I belive its an H rated tire.Guy at the tire shop said they are next best thing to Michelin mxv4.
They are to be mounted on a 2000 accord v6.
I want something that is well made for the wife and has a good build with durabilty.
The orginal Michelins have 65,000 and when i got them rotated a month ago they required no weights.I was very impressed.HE want $400 Mount & Balance includes lifetime M&B.

What do you think?

[ August 31, 2004, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: goodoleboy ]

Although I have not used this model BFG tire, I generally have a high opinion of BFGs. BFG is now owned by Michelin.

quote:

Originally posted by goodoleboy:
Anyone have experience with traction t/a I belive its an H rated tire.Guy at the tire shop said they are next best thing to Michelin mxv4.
They are to be mounted on a 2000 accord v6.
I want something that is well made for the wife and has a good build with durabilty.
The orginal Michelins have 65,000 and when i got them rotated a month ago they required no weights.I was very impressed.HE want $400 Mount & Balance includes lifetime M&B.

What do you think?

BFG Traction T/A is the longest-lasting, best gripping, best riding tire I have ever encountered. I had one set go 68,000 miles in the space of 2.5 years. They still looked brand new the day before the car got stolen.

Personally for some reason i am not hot on BFG, even after Michelin took them over.

I kinda feel that they are a poor mans tire company, or at least that was there old image bolstered by muscle car fitments.

The jury is still out on Traction T/A.

How can you compare the Traction T/A to the Michelin Energy MXV4's.

The Energys are H and V rated Performance TOURING tires the TTA's are not!

Two different categories, so if the tire shop says there the next best thing to OEM MX4's than it sounds like non-technical sales ploy to me.

It would be fair to compare the Sumitomo Srixon, Dunlop SPA2 and TTA on the same field though.

(dunlop and sumitomo are part of the goodyear family however)

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
Personally for some reason i am not hot on BFG, even after Michelin took them over.

I kinda feel that they are a poor mans tire company, or at least that was there old image bolstered by muscle car fitments.

Two different categories, so if the tire shop says there the next best thing to OEM MX4's than it sounds like non-technical sales ploy to me.

It would be fair to compare the Sumitomo Srixon, Dunlop SPA2 and TTA on the same field though.

I must say, this is the first time I've ever seen BFG referred to as a sort of bargain type of tire brand.

Outrun and all others thank you for the info.
I believe the traction t/a i was looking at are H rated if that helps.

The MXV4 is an overpriced tire. We had them on our Avalon.... 150 bucks for a tire that lasted 33,000 miles is highly unacceptable. Majority of the time they were noisy and provided acceptable traction.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
The MXV4 is an overpriced tire. We had them on our Avalon.... 150 bucks for a tire that lasted 33,000 miles is highly unacceptable. Majority of the time they were noisy and provided acceptable traction.

I agree with all the above statements. The MXV4 are the stock tires on the mazda 6s (17 alloys). They are horrible horrible tires. Not only are they overpriced by over 2x their competition, but they've got extremely mediocre dry traction, poor wet traction, and almost dangerous snow traction.

The only reason (IMO) that a car should have on MXV4's, is because you needed to drive the car off the dealer lot, to take it home and put on some decent lifesaving rubber.

At 70-80 bucks, the falken ZIEX-512 is a far superior tire as well as quieter) and you can easily replace multiple tires for the price of a single MXV4. The general mazda 6 recommendation for a blown tire is just replacing all four with Falken ZIEX-512's...since its almost the exact same price as 1.5 MXV4's.

Also check out the Toyo Proxy4's if your looking for a decent all-season. (More expensive, argubably better).

Always remember though, all-seasons are always mediocre tires. They will never be as good as a dedicated snow tire in the snow, nor as good as a dedicated summer tire in the dry.

i have this tire on my 1986 300zx but in a 17 225/45/. this tire grips! of course its wider but really i like the handling alot!

my accord is past due for new tires, i might get these...

on my z i had em for about 6 years but i rarely put any milage on that car any ways.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:

The site below shows that BFgoodrich Traction T/A come in both H and V ratings.
Tirerack
Even though the BFgoodrich tires are performance all season, they have better Ride Comfort and Noise Comfort then the MXV4 which are a touring tire.

[ September 01, 2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Storm897 ]

quote:

Originally posted by crossbow:

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

I agree with all the above statements. The MXV4 are the stock tires on the mazda 6s (17 alloys). They are horrible horrible tires. Not only are they overpriced by over 2x their competition, but they've got extremely mediocre dry traction, poor wet traction, and almost dangerous snow traction.

The only reason (IMO) that a car should have on MXV4's, is because you needed to drive the car off the dealer lot, to take it home and put on some decent lifesaving rubber.

At 70-80 bucks, the falken ZIEX-512 is a far superior tire as well as quieter) and you can easily replace multiple tires for the price of a single MXV4. The general mazda 6 recommendation for a blown tire is just replacing all four with Falken ZIEX-512's...since its almost the exact same price as 1.5 MXV4's.

Also check out the Toyo Proxy4's if your looking for a decent all-season. (More expensive, argubably better).

Always remember though, all-seasons are always mediocre tires. They will never be as good as a dedicated snow tire in the snow, nor as good as a dedicated summer tire in the dry.

Great minds think alike. The Avalon now has Falken Ziex ZE-512s. My dad thinks they can be noisy but I told him its the poor quality of some of the roads in Houston. Overall, they are a lot better than those MXV4s that came with the car.

I have Traction T/As on my Regal GS. 235/60-16s. Great tire, I highly recommend them. For the price and what you get, I think it will be tough to find a better one. The only weather I haven't experienced yet is Winter driving with them. In wet conditions, very solid. I expect similar results in snow. They will be the next tire I put on my car or van!
cheers.gif

I recently put these on my Monte Carlo to replace the Goodyear Eagle RS-A's that came stock. They're a much better tire, traction and handling-wise than the Goodyears. They have a little stiffer ride and I now feel bumps more, but I expected that. Overall, though, I'm very pleased. One thing I really like is that I can drive right through puddles and the car will track completely straight right, which is a big improvement considering the old tires would always pull right through any puddles.

We use the BFG Control TA all season tires on both sedans. They're a decent rain tire, no traction problems here in the Pacific NW, and all that I expect in the winter is that they get us home so that I can put the snow tires on if needed. They did that in the last snow that we had. Still, with the occasional ice around here it's smart to carry chains in the winter, especially since we live on a hill. I'll consider another set when needed.

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
I must say, this is the first time I've ever seen BFG referred to as a sort of bargain type of tire brand. [/QB]

Michelin bought BFG tire and Uniroyal. I think it is the marketing plan to have at least a perception of three "tiers" with Uniroyal [junk] at the bottom and [overpriced] Michelin at the top.

I just put some V-rated 205s on my firlfriend'z zoomzoom Protege 5 wagon and they're fantastic. I'm a tire monger and love searching through tires... I was trying to find something that might actually handle snow alright and still work well on the highways of FL with all our rain... so far, it's been fantastic.

And... you cant beat the 60,000 mile warranty from BFG!

Update:
I got the BFG Traction T/A tires H rated all 4 mounted and balcned with road hazard for $364 incuding tax, price also includes lifetime balance and rotation.
They seem to drive a little harsher, not much more than the MXv4. But i think they will settle down with time. Since the the old MXv4 were kinda wore down they rode real smooth.
Ive never spent that much for tires but I want my little wifey to be safe becuase she is a speed demon..
cool.gif

Thanks for the advice.

quote:

Originally posted by goodoleboy:
Update:

Ive never spent that much for tires but I want my little wifey to be safe becuase she is a speed demon..
cool.gif

Thanks for the advice.

LOL, you must not have a pickup truck! Two of my tires cost what you paid total, and that was before any other fees!

Sounds like you got a decent deal! Just make sure to keep them properly inflated and rotated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back