BFG Long Trail Tour vs Sumitomo HTR Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm stuck between two tires. The size is 275/60/17.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Long+Trail+T/A+Tour

and

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Sport+A/T

Yes, I understand one is a highway tire and one all-terrain. Problem is, my full size spare is a Long Trail Tour.

I plan on relocating to Colorado this year, where my truck will see plenty of off road, which prompted me to consider the Sumitomos (all terrain). I do plenty of highway driving too.

Since I already have a new Long Trail Tour as a spare (bought 8 months ago), I can save money going with 3 Long Trails, and keeping one of my old tires as a spare; Instead of 4 new Sumitomos.

Question is: Will the Long Trail Tours, classed as a highway type tire hold up to moderate off-road use? The terrain I drive on out there is dry, sometimes loose and sandy on uphill slopes. Should I spend the money on 4 new A/T tires, or press my luck using H/T tires?

Last edited:
I speak from years of experience off-roading in Michigan, Kentucky, and North Carolina... (my truck was actually featured in a Jeep brochure years ago)

even though classified as "all terrain", the Sumo's are actually pretty lightweight in that regard. certainly they have more lateral grooves than the BFG's, the difference is not huge and they are not really much of a mud tire. now, what type of terrain will you "off road" in CO? probably more rock climbing than not? it's best to check how many belts are in the tires, especially the sidewalls, to ensure durability in that regard, when I was rock climbing, I cut up the sidewalls pretty bad but the tire still held. also, will you travel alone? as long as you have a 2nd truck (or more) you have alot of insurance on getting out of the hills. no matter what type of tires we had, we always got out with a buddy and a snatch strap.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
now, what type of terrain will you "off road" in CO? probably more rock climbing than not? ... also, will you travel alone? as long as you have a 2nd truck (or more) you have alot of insurance on getting out of the hills.

I stay out of mud (it's nearly non-existent in CO mountains), but there are some sharp banks, lots of loose footing (loose dirt, gravel and such) even some rock crawling though it's limited to the ground clearance, so nothing huge.

I do travel alone often, but within cell-phone reach, so I'm not worried about getting stranded. My last tires when I lived out there were Yoko Geolander A/T's which survived the off-roading, but wore horribly on-road (only got about 25k out of them). Because of that I'm looking for a compromise, since I do a lot of highway driving.

Since I've lived in urban Missouri (where there is no such thing as off road) my Kumho APT's have lasted 60k, now they are nearing replacement, which is why I'm asking.

Recommendations, tips, suggestions are appreciated!

If you want a real trail machine, then you need even more aggressive tread - but I will assume you want the "compromise" tire, like you mention - and like most of us.

along those lines, I have run Discount Tire's "Pathfinder" tires on 2 diff Jeeps with alot of success. and also a set of Goodyear Wrangler ?? (sorry, dont recall which ones without searching)

I was actually gonna mention the Yoko Geo's (based on the trad design) until I read that you currently have them. How about General Grabbers (they have a better tread design (IMHO) and have better reviews for snow/ice) than the Sumi's)

Or Goodyear Forteras.

What is your gut on this? do you feel confident in the BFG's? they are pretty much a highway tire but may be sufficient?

If it were me, I would look at the Generals or Goodyears.

I'll take a look at the Generals. I thought of the Sumitomos only because it was a cross between the two. Most trails I drive on have already been blazed by others.

I had my current Kumhos on shortly before I left CO, and they *sucked* uphill in soft terrain, would bury themselves in a hole, even in 4wd. I'm really looking for something that can handle some moderate off-road (like my Geolanders used to) while being somewhat fair or good in treadwear and on-road manners.

What further complicates things it that I need something in 275/60/17 size, which most all-terrain tires don't offer.

I have the Long Trails on my Nissan Truck. I have used it for several hunting trips, including one in Canada where I drove about 300 miles on gravel and dirt roads. While they are not really off-road tires, they did exceptionally well and are wearing very well. At close to 19,000 miles, I have probably used less than 1/3 of the tread. I have experienced no flats or unusual wear. So if you want to save some money, go for the Goodrich tires.

Put Long Trails on my wife's VUE back in December. They have great traction and don't slide in the rain. Little disappointed in the softness in the sidewall. The stock bridgestone were [censored] for traction but the sidewall was stiffer and flat when looking at the tire (32 psi). The long tails bulge out on the side and definitely feel softer and flex more when driving. Even at 40 psi it is noticeable. Last week I put them to max 44 psi but the wife has been driving it since and I haven't had time to really drive it around to see if it was any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back