BF Goodrich Touring Pro Series.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experiance with these? My 2000 Sentra beater is past due for tires. I was going to put Yoko TRZ on based on the good reviews I have read and to match the set of Geolandar A/T-S I just put on wifes truck but everywhere I would have to order them. I was in Sams Club picking up some stuff and decided to price some tires and came up with a good price on these, an even better price on Goodyears but we will not go there. I cant find any reviews on them though. If they are decent on wet and dry I will pull the trigger on them as the warranty cannot be beat. Thanks guys.

I recently saw those tires and was considering them on my toyota. I'm sure that there are better performers out there in a higher price bracket, but they look like a good value.

Thanks guys. I think I am going to go with them. This is my work beater that is driven 142 miles round trip daily 3 weeks a month. Most of the tire shops around here sell Goodyear and Michelin, which I dont want to drop a paycheck on a set of Michelins for a work whip. I thought about ordering online like I did with my truck but cant wait when I am working for a warranty tire to arrive so Sams (which is 1 mile away) makes it an ideal place to buy tires if they had a decent tire. I have read on here about the Michelin X radial from Sams being good as well as a couple different places, and they are having a $70 off a set sale which would make them cheaper than these but they dont have them in the size I need, but can order them, which brings the same problem as getting them from the internet. I am need of tires by Monday as the wear bars have been part of my tread my last week of driving.

My mom's car has a set on it that's getting close to 50k miles. They still have tread on them. Maybe somewhere between 4-6/32nds. There's a good chance the next set will be the same since they're so inexpensive.

Sort of a cross post, but I wanted to comment on these tires since I now have almost 4 years experience with them. Maybe more considering oilBabe is on her second set on her Camry.

I bought ONE tire yesterday. Replacing a Sams Club BFG tire with the same tire. Back on 12/11/05 a set of four, out the door was $270.50. So that works out to be $67.63/tire including all the charges and taxes. The tires themselves were $52.04 each before taxes and fees. Sales tax here is 7.85% for those who want to do the math and $2.50/tire disposal fee. At the time I had 175079 miles on my car.

Yesterday, same tire, about 4 years and 66K miles later is $80.33 out the door. Odometer reading, 241535, so yesterday's tire was replaced with over 66K miles on the tire and I'm not a gentle driver when it comes to cornering.

I had to buy only one because I had replaced a tire in January due to road damage and the road hazard helped. I sure got more than $15 in value. Actually, I paid $9 on that tire back in 2005 for the installation package. I got $21.85 in road hazard credit, so that paid for the initial package, the new package on the tire in January was still only $9.50 and probably covered the disposal fee. So in essence, I only had to pay for the new tire.

Yesterday, I picked the worst of the three oldest and had it replaced. Technically it could have gone to 70K, but I wanted at least two newer tires on there before winter.

Yesterday, the fronts went to the rear and the two newer tires went up front. I still have about 4/32nds on the tires rotated to the rear. Not bad for a 70K rated tire. I'll likely get the full 70K out of half the tires. Not bad at all for a FWD car that is not driven gently. I think their estimate of 4/32nds remaining is optimistic, but it's in the 3 to 4/32nds range, so good enough for the back for another 10K miles.

I like the O'Fallon, IL Sams Club as they don't give you the line about new tires on the rear. They realize that you are eventually going to rotate them anyway.

So I'll see if I can go another 10K miles as is, and then replace the rear tires. If it gets too squirrely in the rain or snow, I'll replace those old rears sooner.

The increase in price on this tire over four years was 11.9% It works out to be about 2.9% increase annually, or right in line with inflation.

So the Sams Club deal isn't a bad deal if you shop there anyway. It's a decent tire that doesn't have any really bad habits. It's not going to satisfy those looking for high performance. But if your car is an appliance, these are the tires that compliment that appliance performance. They just work, without drama and appear to deliver what they say they will, which is 70K miles of driving if you are willing to take them to 3/32nds tread depth.

3/32 in the land of ice and snow..

Be careful with low tread on the rear It might swap ends on you fast going around a corner.

Originally Posted By: Rand
3/32 in the land of ice and snow..

Be careful with low tread on the rear It might swap ends on you fast going around a corner.

That just makes it more fun. After I was done fiddling with the suspension, my SVT Contour was neutral to a bit of over-steer in the right conditions, so I'm accustomed to the back end coming around.

You realize not all of IL is Chicago. Southern IL, while it gets snow, doesn't get all that much. Rain is still a concern and really more of a concern than snow or ice.

Like I said, if it's too squirrly, I'll get two more tires.

Thanks for your concern.

I recently ditched my BFG Touring Pro's from Sam's. Not because they were bad but because some tire professionals told me they were causing my vibration. Well they weren’t and I would rate them very close to the Michelin Symmetry's I am currently using. Very good tread life out of them, and Sam's definitely has some of the best pricing. I can vouch for oversteer being dangerous. I will never mount lower treads in the rear on a FWD = Snap Loose in foul weather.

Last edited:
I just noticed that there are at least two different Touring Pro T/A tires at Sams

When I was looking at the size for my car, 185/65R14, it was a 70K mile rated tire with UTQG of 640-A-B with a service description of 85T.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=164378

I was looking at what such a tire would cost for Critic's application and noticed the tire with the same name has a different tread pattern, 60K mile warranty and H rating. I.E. UTQG 500-A-A and service description 86H.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=181278

So just a note, one has to check these to get the specifics for your size.

just a note since everyone is mentions sams

they WONT mount a different size than stock.. and it must be
the speed rating or better that came from the factory..

so if you have some screwy econobox that mysteriously came with H rated tires you have to get H or higher.. I know alot of nissans came with V-rated etc.

Originally Posted By: Rand
just a note since everyone is mentions sams

they WONT mount a different size than stock.. and it must be
the speed rating or better that came from the factory..

so if you have some screwy econobox that mysteriously came with H rated tires you have to get H or higher.. I know alot of nissans came with V-rated etc.

Not true. My Prizm started with 175-65R14 and they were happy to install 185-65R14's.

Maybe true on the speed ratings. But I suspect you can still find a store that will do it.

But I've had that discussion with tire guys before and asked them where I can legally drive 149+ MPH. I usually get my the tires I wanted.

I.E. I had a Beretta GTZ and downgraded from the Gatorbacks, to an H rated Dunlop back in the 90's.

I managed to get 30K out of a set of Gatorbacks, so I guess I wasn't trying hard enough, LOL

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Not true. My Prizm started with 175-65R14 and they were happy to install 185-65R14's.

both 175 and 185 65/14 are OEM size on the same rim width (7"), you can even install 195 60 14 and it still work, but of course it is heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back