Beware Toyota's....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '02 Corolla w. 5spd.

Beware that you might have to keep these cars for a long time. Dont buy it if you change cars like I have done in the past(chevs and chryslers). These cars are reliable,efficient,and boring.....

BEWARE!!!!!

Tell me about it - sold a perfectly good 1991 SR-5 coupe to a buddy at about 130k miles. He drove it to almost 250k miles with about $1,000 in repairs. I STILL kick myself to this day about ever doing that, i thought 'moving on' was a sensible thing to do.....

I'm beginning to think my '95 Civic at 84,000+ miles is still in the break-in phase; that little D15B7 engine still uses ZERO oil ever since I Auto-Rx'd it (twice in three years now) and regularly using LC20 too. She's a happy tin-can wonder.

Time to get some UOA kits!!!

Oh, yeah- this is a Toyota thread. Well, I remember back in the early 90's our agency had some little Toyota pickup trucks and they were a BLAST to drive (virtually all of the vehicles in WSDOT back then were manual trans-equipped)!!!

my brother has a 95 civic dx with the d15b7. currently at 60k miles it works perfect with M1. Going to keep it that way.

I'm putting up my 2000 Saab 9-5 for sale in week or so. I love driving that thing but after 5 years of expensive repair after repair, I'm calling it quits with Europeans.

Back to Japanese for me. I like the look of the redesinged 2009 Corollas. Can't decide yet between that or the cheese wedge Prius.

The problem with the Saab is its a little european and a little domestic with the GM tampering. Not usually a good combination for long life reliability.

At 81, Dad can no longer drive so he gave me his 1999 Camry with 192,000 miles on it. Boring is right, but it still drives almost like new.

Hoping to get a lot of miles from my 08' Corolla. Best vehicle I recently sold was my 2000 Tacoma 2.7 4x4 SR5. 8 years old with 80k on the clock and I still got almost 11 grand cash for it. I had people calling constantly to try and buy it. Those old Tacos really hold their value.

I have original sticker and my Dad bought it in 00' for 22,000. Still holding 50% of its value is not bad after eight years.

I really liked the look of the 09' Corollas but they were all but giving away the 08's at my local dealer. That and the 1000 back from Toyota made the decision a lot easier. I got the Corolla for almost 2000 less than the new elantra I was looking at.

Originally Posted By: alphasparky353

Beware that you might have to keep these cars for a long time. Dont buy it if you change cars like I have done in the past(chevs and chryslers). These cars are reliable,efficient,and boring.....

BEWARE!!!!!
They seen to be quite a bit lower in quality than previous years, Beware.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

BEWARE!!!!!

My 2005 just passed 104k with no issues. Never been back to the dealership for ANYTHING, is as tight and looks like new (except the thin paint and rocks on the freeway,(common with EPA paint))

44.3 MPG on the last tank.

I think the Corolla is built very well. I'll keep it to at least 400k.

My 1982 SR5 Toyota Truck is around 280k with only the carb that needed to be replaced. The bed is rusted out like most 25 year old trucks. The guy that bought it from me does not treat it nice. Keeps on ticking.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
I really liked the look of the 09' Corollas but they were all but giving away the 08's at my local dealer. That and the 1000 back from Toyota made the decision a lot easier. I got the Corolla for almost 2000 less than the new elantra I was looking at.

The 2008 will get better MPG and has a larger trunk. The 2009 gained 200lbs.

I'd take a 08 over a 09. Good choice!

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Steve S

BEWARE!!!!!

My 2005 just passed 104k with no issues. Never been back to the dealership for ANYTHING, is as tight and looks like new (except the thin paint and rocks on the freeway,(common with EPA paint))

44.3 MPG on the last tank.

I think the Corolla is built very well. I'll keep it to at least 400k.

My 1982 SR5 Toyota Truck is around 280k with only the carb that needed to be replaced. The bed is rusted out like most 25 year old trucks. The guy that bought it from me does not treat it nice. Keeps on ticking.

Take care, bill
Bill, I have experience with an 84 4x4 p/u a 92 4x4 p/u both great a 88 Camry very good. and a 2006 4x4 p/u dissapointing as compared to the others in fit finish and quality "noticeable cheaper build" it is like a higher quality G.M imo.

Good to know Bill! Thanks. Weird how many automakers seem to add additional weight on their newer models. Saturn did this with the 08' VUE. The 06' VUE I had was 400 lbs lighter than the 08.

What has been happening is that each company does customer focus groups and Americans that make it to those groups ask for more room, more power, etc. So, each generation of car bloats up. What happened this time is that, since it takes 3-4 years to get a new model to market, gas prices have doubled.

The new US-spec Accord is the latest example of this, and it has been a sales flop, compared to previous Honda new model introductions.

If I wanted basic transportation in a new car, it would be a 2008 Corolla. What puzzles me is that the Yaris is smaller, has a cheaper looking interior, but doesnt get better mileage or cost less to buy.

As far as recent Toyota quality is concerned, yes the new Tundra has had a few teething problems, but my '05 Tundra has had zero problems. The ball-joint recall was done, but the old ones were not bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
What has been happening is that each company does customer focus groups and Americans that make it to those groups ask for more room, more power, etc. So, each generation of car bloats up. What happened this time is that, since it takes 3-4 years to get a new model to market, gas prices have doubled.

The new US-spec Accord is the latest example of this, and it has been a sales flop, compared to previous Honda new model introductions.

If I wanted basic transportation in a new car, it would be a 2008 Corolla. What puzzles me is that the Yaris is smaller, has a cheaper looking interior, but doesnt get better mileage or cost less to buy.

As far as recent Toyota quality is concerned, yes the new Tundra has had a few teething problems, but my '05 Tundra has had zero problems. The ball-joint recall was done, but the old ones were not bad.

I also checked out the Yaris, but there was absolutely no incentive to purchase one over the Corolla. The wife drove the Yaris and promptly did a U-turn and drove back to the stealership and went with the Corolla. She couldn't get in without hitting her knees and she really hated the center mounted console. Don't know why Toyota prices that Yaris so close to the Corolla. Kinds of cannibalizes each others sales I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back