Beware of tampering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy my oil at WalMart 0w40 Mobil 1 and usually have a gallon on hand plus a little. Went to open the new gallon I had and it already had the seal broken, some oil discoloration on the outside of the container near the cap. And no foil seal.

I though maybe I had opened it and not used it and went to pour some in the engine and it was very thin. Certainly not 0w40 oil. I pour it into a clear glass container and it's clean and amber colored. Not the same as M1 0w40 though. Maybe hydraulic fluid I think....

I'm not sure when I bought it. Sometimes I order on line and just go pick it up. But obviously I did not check this jug for a seal.

I felt the same way when I got burned by not checking a jug of 5w40 Mobil TDT from Wal-Mart. It had been in my stash for a while by the time I got to use it.

Live and learn.

Last edited:
it can happen anywhere + most WM's take returns without looking at anything, especially if busy, so always check before leaving the store or upon receiving any mail order from wherever

Originally Posted by aba4430
Walmart should just stop taking returns on oil.

No they just need a clerk bright enough to check the seal. If its broken you just remove the lid and check the oil. If its black you call the police.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
No they just need a clerk bright enough to check the seal. If its broken you just remove the lid and check the oil. If its black you call the police.

^^Exactly as Johnny said.

Walmart just needs to be diligent about scrutinizing ANY returns whether it's oil,food,or clothing. There's no reason thieving trash should ruin it for the honest people.

Pretty slick substituting hydraulic fluid for the oil, if that's what happened. That would pass scrutinization by any clerk.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Send a sample to blackstone
I'm already out $13 and am quite certain it is not as labeled.....

Been happening more and more.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Somebody changed their oil, filled the jug with the old oil and returned it for a refund.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
I check every single plastic seal before I buy.

Same ... and look at the sight window - at least you'd see dirty oil that way - maybe not with this slickster means ...
Of course the foil seal or no deal (it's got to go back then) ...

Knock on wood - not burned yet ...

Some brands are easier to detect tampering. Valvoline's new jugs with the clear cap that shows the seal underneath is great. Chevron's new Havoline Smart Change should show any tampering right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back