beverly hillbillies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a documentary on that show. It was doing well in the ratings but was cancelled because the advertisers didn't like the people who watched the show or weren't buying the products being advertised.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I watched a documentary on that show. It was doing well in the ratings but was cancelled because the advertisers didn't like the people who watched the show or weren't buying the products being advertised.

Look up "Rural Purge"

A lot of shows fell to the same fate during that time. Network execs figured out times were changing and the money wasn't in rural America. Interesting to read about "The Waltons." It was basically a throwdown show some years after that became a huge hit. I believe The Mary Tyler Moore Show kinda kicked it all off.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I recall Jethro with his huge bowl of Cornflakes!

While granny had an opossum on the stove !

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I recall Jethro with his huge bowl of Cornflakes!

While granny had an opossum on the stove !

Opossum?

I have been watching the series on Roku's free channel too. Don't know where people get the idea it was "for rural people," because it wasn't. I like the simpler times, no cell phones or computers, and the new Chrysler product cars they drove on the show. The house on the show recently sold and I think they said it was the most expensive ever sold in Los Angeles.

I can't stand the Beverly Hillbillies, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, **** Van Dyke....Along with most other 60's & 70's television shows. As a GenX'er....That's all that was on syndicated television when I was a kid. Rather take [censored] Whipping which my father was more than happy to give me for mouthing off
06.gif

I don't mind many of the older shows from that era, but didn't care much for BHB because it seems cruel to make fun of/laugh-at, stereotyped idiot hicks. If/when that stereotype is true, they had it hard enough already dealing with life...

Last edited:
Apparently some of you really haven't watched the Beverly Hillbillies. Those "stereotyped idiot hicks" most often came out smelling like a rose and the true idiots were those gosh darn city slickers who tried to conform them to city life. LOL.

One of my favorite one-liners comes from an episode where the hillbillies have traveled to England and are going through customs. While checking their bags a British customs officer finds a jug of Granny's rheumatis' medicine. He told her she should have emptied it out before she got on the plane, and she told him, "if I'd emptied that jug out I wouldn't have needed a plane."

It sounds nasty to say this but "laugh-track TV just sucks". The industry had to wait only a brief time before pumping out products with refined sex and violence....where the real money is.

".... because the advertisers didn't like the people who watched the show". C'mon now.

Originally Posted by OilSwine
Look up "Rural Purge"

.... I believe The Mary Tyler Moore Show kinda kicked it all off.

Man I hate those severely unfunny New York "humor" shows.

Mind numbing swill.

I still watch it and I watch it in a suburb. Dukes of Hazzard was great too. The Munsters, I Love Lucy, Carol Burnett show, Life of Riley, and tens of others, great . There were great messages in them too. I also don't watch any cable news, put an antenna up and went back to that like we used to have. I get the local and national news without opinions, there is the story, you make of it what you want. Antenna comes in as HD too, free of charge.

I loved it then and now, even though it is dated a bit. My wife hates all of those old sitcoms, and when I was a kid, I didn't care for Green Acres, but recently watched an episode and laughed hard all the way through it, while my wife was walking in and out of the room going, ... "that's not funny, that's stupid", oh well, some people just don't understand intellectual humor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back