Better Oils for a 2.5L Duratec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an '02 Cougar with this engine, and I was wondering what oil might go well with it. I had a Taurus with the 3L version of this engine that ran everything well.

I read, though, that the 2.5L had some oil problems with the early engines that lead to a redesign of some oil passages. Anything that I need to look out for?

Thinner oils seem to work on these engines, I've read here. 5W-30 of your choice. These engines seem to be very easy on oil, i've never heard/read any issues....

Originally Posted By: ET16
I just got an '02 Cougar with this engine, and I was wondering what oil might go well with it. I had a Taurus with the 3L version of this engine that ran everything well.

I read, though, that the 2.5L had some oil problems with the early engines that lead to a redesign of some oil passages. Anything that I need to look out for?

The 2.5L duratec has 1/2 as many return passages in the head compared to the 3.0L. Those who put 2.5L heads on the 3L block have to address this issue IIRC. It's been over 6 years since I've played seriously in the Contour and Duratec world.

At high RPMs, oil will "pool" in the heads as it cannot return fast enough. The recommendation was to run 1/2 a quart to a quart overfilled if you were going to run your Duratec powered Contour in the curves, especially long RH sweeping curves.

If low on oil, at high RPMs during a RH sweeper, the oil pickup could begin to suck air, which isn't good for your bearings. So those who downshifted to charge exit ramps with a low oil level were in for a nasty surprise when they spun a bearing.

So it's now WHAT oil you run as much as making sure it's full or more if you carve corners with the Duratec.

Why does the 2.5 use 2 sparkplugs per cylinder? Does each one fire on power and exhaust stroke like engines that have one sparkplug per cylinder, or is one for the power stroke and the other one for the exhaust stroke?

Originally Posted By: jorton
Why does the 2.5 use 2 sparkplugs per cylinder? Does each one fire on power and exhaust stroke like engines that have one sparkplug per cylinder, or is one for the power stroke and the other one for the exhaust stroke?

You have some confusion here. The engine we are talking about is the V6 Duratec.

The 2 spark plug per cylinder Ford engine was the last few years that they used the 2.3 SOHC 4 cylinder used on Rangers. The plugs fired at nearly the same time as an attempt to clean up the emissions for an old engine design.

The V6 Duratec as used on Contours does have Waste Fire Ignition. Each of the three coils in the coil pack fires two cylinders, both at the same time, one at reverse polarity. That means that one of the two cylinders is firing mode and the other one is in transition from exhaust to intake mode.

This is a simple method, providing ignition for less expense that one coil per plug, and better coil saturation than one coil for all six cylinders.

Oh thanks Big Jim. Since the 4cyl Ranger doesn't use Waste Fire Ignition, are platinum sparkplugs necessary? I want to advise my neighbor Autolite resistor plugs will last just as long.

Oh thanks Big Jim. Since the 4cyl Ranger doesn't use Waste Fire Ignition, are platinum sparkplugs necessary? I want to advise my neighbor Autolite resistor plugs will last just as long.

I'm a little confused about this, too. The Duratech V6 needs double platinums with this style of ignition, no? I ask, because I presently have single platinums in, and I'm wondering whether I should change them out.

I think your plugs are ok as long as they're Motorcraft or Autolite. Some Ford V6 and V8's come with platinum on one bank, and double platinum's on the other bank.

Originally Posted By: ET16

I'm a little confused about this, too. The Duratech V6 needs double platinums with this style of ignition, no? I ask, because I presently have single platinums in, and I'm wondering whether I should change them out.

As Big Jim if you have the waste fire ignition then you need the double platinum plugs. From the factory my car had single plat plugs but depending upon the cylinder it was in it either had the platinum tip on the positive or negative terminal, Can't buy those aftermarket. This was a "cost saving" for Ford. For replacement plugs Ford only recommends double plat plugs otherwise the cylinders with the waste fire would wear the plugs quickly.

Whimsey

If you have a waste fire ignition, you need either double platinum plugs or platinum/iridium plugs. If you don't, the cylinders that have reverse voltage will have the plugs wear fast. The platinum tip needs to be on the firing side of the plug. The original plugs in such engines were usually single platinum, but half of the engine had the platinum button on the center electrode and the other half had the platinum button on the side wire. Using double platinum makes it "idiot proof" so that the plugs don't get installed on the wrong cylinders.

Platinum plugs, single tip, on engines that have all the cylinders fire with the same polarity, will last longer (much longer) than non platinum plugs. I don't remember what kind of plugs the dual plug Ranger uses, but I think it may be double platinum.

I should add that most if not all of today's current models use COP (coil over plug), which is one coil per plug. They all fire conventionally (none with reverse polarity). The most common plug configuration today is platinum/iridium, or iridium for the center electrode and a platinum button on the side wire. Some of these are intended to last 150,000 miles. Conventional plugs, single platinum, or even double platinum, would not last that long.

That's insane! Next used car I buy may have to go straight to the shop for a tune up because I don't care to try to pull original plugs on a high mile vehicle.

Good morning!

Apologizing return this old topic.

I'm new in the forum, I am Brazilian and i have a Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6. Here were sold few units of these cars, so do not know the car very well. I was here researching the possibility of using this motor oil 5w20, here in Brazil do not like to waste fine lightweight but I have an open mind.

Returning to the Duratec 2.5 v6, I would like to know more details about this failure of lubrication on curves at high rpm's. I had a spun bearing and crankshaft warped because I made a curve at high rpm, but never knew the real reason I came today and find out that topic. Seen it would like more details and how much oil should I put more in ML to avoid. And if an oil 5w20 not avoid it because he runs faster than a 5W30.

Thank you! And excuse my English ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back