Better Oil for My Application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt you can do better, but as you know the PZ LL is changing. I'd probably stockpile a few of the old jugs for now while it's still available.

Sorry to see this formula go.

Sounds like you found something that works great! I would not change a thing. But then again that goes against what we like to do on this site. Experiment,Experiment,Experiment!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
I doubt you can do better, but as you know the PZ LL is changing. I'd probably stockpile a few of the old jugs for now while it's still available.

Sorry to see this formula go.

Only two differences I can tell between the "old" and "new" versions:

1. New version is much lighter in color.
2. Oil consumption is even LESS with the new formula!

I'm currently using the "new" formula and very impressed with it!

Well, if you truly have the new, new formula then you have Rotella-T, problem solved. I didn't think it was wide-spread in the market yet though.
dunno.gif

I like that Valvoline 5-20 with Slick-50 idea. Can I get it free qith a rebate.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Well, if you truly have the new, new formula then you have Rotella-T, problem solved. I didn't think it was wide-spread in the market yet though.
dunno.gif

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I've used both Rotella and Long-Life in my engine, and the Rotella didn't reduce consumption nearly as much as Long-Life!

Also, I recently (last week) made the switch from Rotella to Long-Life in a friends old Ford gasoline engine tractor. It was using the latest, greatest CI-4/SL Rotella, but after putting the new Long-Life formula in, consumption has dropped a GREAT deal!

Once again, I must say, that in my actual use, Rotella and Long-Life are not the same formulation!

If Johnny is still around, maybe he knows whats going on with this.

Anyway, I see no need to change anything.

Well....I can't really offer much, except for anecdotal testimony. I had a 90 chevy c-1500 scottsdale (good valve seals), and I put over 100k on it using havoline (equilon) or pennzoil 5w30. It didn't burn a drop of oil when I sold it with about 105-110k on the clock. Quite frankly......If the pennzoil is working for you, then you may as well stick with it. Have you tried auto-rx in your engine?

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Quite frankly......If the pennzoil is working for you, then you may as well stick with it. Have you tried auto-rx in your engine?

No, I haven't tried Auto-RX.

Yes, the Long-Life is working quite well, but I definitely have caught the oil "bug"!

My "reasoning" for thinking about changing is simply because now that the engine is internally clean, I'm seriously considering switching over to a PCMO (shhhh..don't tell anyone!) in hopes of reducing blue smoke on startup.

If I could find an oil that would keep consumption low while improving startup smoke, then I'd be set!

Wonder if I should give the high mileage oils (and their reported seal conditioning agents) a chance???

Well, as many of you know, I really do like mineral HDEO 15w-40’s in gas engine applications where they are appropriate.

With that in mind, I feel my ’92 Chevy W/T C1500 with the 4.3L V-6 is a great candidate.

I’ve been running Pennzoil Long-Life for about ten months or so now and have made big strides forward in regards to engine cleanliness and oil consumption…it had spent it’s life up to that point on whatever 5w-30 was cheapest, and in combination with the “factory standard” bad valve seals, oil consumption was quite high.

Now, while the engine still has the faulty valve seals, I’ve gotten oil consumption down to around 1/2qt. per 3,000 miles!

Even though some of you probably don’t believe me, I do truly value your opinions and would like to know what you think about my truck…now that the engine is clean and consuming low amounts of oil, do you think there is a better lube for this application?

[ July 13, 2004, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back