Better Oil for 1998 Jeep TJ with 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone
I just found this website and thought Id give it a shot.

Place=I'm living in Southern Illinois around SAFB. The weather is cold down to 0* in the winter and hot up to 100* in the summer.

Vehicle= highly modified 98 Jeep TJ wrangler. With Ax-15 trans (5speed). The motor (4.0 inline 6 cyl) is all stock minus the snorkel. I'm running 33in Goodyear tires on a 15in rim. I also have low gears(run about 2,000rpms at 60mph).

How you drive= This is my daily driver and weekend warrior. I jump in and drive(I do not let it warm up like I should) 8 miles to work and 8 miles home Monday-Friday. There is one stop sign the rest is hwy. On the weekends I like to take it off road and go camping. I might reach a top speed of 70-75mph but most is 55-60mph. When off roading its more like 10-20mph with a lot of idling.

Known problems= there are no know problems with my jeep.

preferences= I have none just looking for something that might be better then the oil I have used. (alittle of this alittle of that). Whats ever on sale. would like to keep everything running strong for as long as possible.

And a photo for all the BITOG
IMGP9183.jpg

IMGP9208.jpg

thats far from a beater IMO.
smile.gif
How about some rotella t-5 10-40. The 4.0 like 40 weights.Rotella is proven great, cheap and readily available.

My personal favorites for the 4.0

Dino: Quaker State High Mileage 10w30
Syn: Rotella 5w40

Nice Jeep !

jringo

Nice Jeep!

Another Rotella endorsement here, I also run it in a 4.0 but I run the regular dino and it's awesome stuff. You can run the 10w30 all year round and forget about it, or the 15w40 in summer and 10w30 in winter if you'd like. The 4.0 does like heavier oils, you could also run something like Quaker State High Mileage 10w40 and expect great results as well, but I'd suggest the Rotella.

Welcome to the forum.

In my Jeeps (the one in my sig, '89 Cherokee, '59 CJ5, and tube buggy with a '93 XJ 4.0L) I typically use 5W30 in the winter and 10W40, SAE30, or 15W40, in the summer depending on what's next in my oil stash.

Rotella 10w30, as previously mentioned, would be a fine choice as well.

I typically run 40 weights in both of my 4.0 Jeeps.
15W-40 in the summer and 5W-40 in the winter.

Rotella T6 5w-40 will serve you well year round

when ever I saw a jeep with 4.0L first oil that came in my mind is T6 Rotella. I own a same jeep and year and engine, that all I ever use.

Last edited:
Ive got 4 Cherokees in my possesion with the 4.0 Inline 6 in them, they get driven hard and survive with HDEOs(Heavy Duty Engine Oil) in their motors. My HDEO of choice is the well respected Shell Rotella T5 10w-30 and Shell Rotella T HD30. I use the straight 30 in older, higher mileage motors(also in my two 84 Cherokees, one with the 2.5 four banger. the other with the Chevy 2.8 [censored] V6), and in my Nice 99 two wheel drive, and my Beloved 01 SilverStone Metallic Cherokees I use the Rotella T5 10w-30. Meets Factory Oil Weight recommendations, and has the High levels of Zinc/Phospehrous Our 4.0s do well with.

The 4.0s like a 40wt oil and it can be used year round...no need to switch oil weights with the seasons. Rotella T6 is a great choice...I ran it in my Jeep for many years before switching to Mobil 1 HM 10w40. The main reason I switched was cost....it's cheaper than the Rotella T6.

Originally Posted By: pavelow
The 4.0s like a 40wt oil and it can be used year round...no need to switch oil weights with the seasons. Rotella T6 is a great choice...I ran it in my Jeep for many years before switching to Mobil 1 HM 10w40. The main reason I switched was cost....it's cheaper than the Rotella T6.

Be careful, Mobil has converted the M1 HM 10w40 to SN for some stupid reason so much of the goodies the Jeep likes are no longer present in good quantity in that grade. The 10w30 and 5w30 remain unmolested and are still SL rated though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back