Better off getting a 2019 ?

Looking at buying a Hyundai Santa Fe SE all-wheel-drive model with a 2.4 L engine. Its a 2020 with under 1000 miles on it for a pretty good price. It’s my understanding that since I’m buying it used my warranty gets reduced to five years 60,000 miles. If I understand the Hyundai factory settlement details a 2019 model would get a lifetime warranty on the 2.4L engine even if I purchased it used is this accurate ? That’s quite a big difference. From purely a warranty standpoint it seems the 2019 model would by the much better choice or am I missing something? P.S. Has Anyone ever purchased a Hyundai factory warranty that would give it the full 10 year 100,000 coverage? Thanks

"If I understand the Hyundai factory settlement details a 2019 model would get a lifetime warranty on the 2.4L engine even if I purchased it used is this accurate ?"

That lifetime warranty because of the class action suit only covers failures specific to main bearings. Any other type of failure would likely not be covered.

I don't think 19's are covered in that settlement either, it's earlies models IIRC.

We have two Hyundai 18 four cylinders at work both of which grenaded at around 30k. They were covered by original warranty not the settlement extension, on a 19 I think you'd be covered just by the manufacturer's original warranty as well. Up to 60k anyway.

I have and have 75000 miles with no problems. Just sat at home this year. Probably drive more later as my daughter is due the first of Dec.
Congrats on the new arrival!
We haven't been driving much at all either, which means I have done less oil changes this year than ever before. Now I get urges to do early dump & fills because this just feels so wrong.

To the OP, I would go with the 2020 for the reasons already stated above.

Besides the full warranty for new cars, buying new also gets you a lower interest rate when financing.

If you can't afford new, but still want the full warranty, buy CPO. Hyundai (and Kia) CPO cars get the full 100k warranty that new cars get.

Yes, I can see momma wanting to move to Houston after this happens. After we had our kids, I bought moms old style olds. We just left two car seats in the backseat. We had an XJS and a pickup truck with one seat. Lives do change when kids arrive!

A new 2020 Santa Fe has a $2,000 rebate that ends today . There should be new rebates tomorrow . Could be better , remain the same or lower .

Depends on the specific deal and if it's what you want in a vehicle. Buying late model used it's nuts right now and in many cases, not worth it over buying new.

Looking at buying a Hyundai Santa Fe SE all-wheel-drive model with a 2.4 L engine. Its a 2020 with under 1000 miles on it for a pretty good price. It’s my understanding that since I’m buying it used my warranty gets reduced to five years 60,000 miles. If I understand the Hyundai factory settlement details a 2019 model would get a lifetime warranty on the 2.4L engine even if I purchased it used is this accurate ? That’s quite a big difference. From purely a warranty standpoint it seems the 2019 model would by the much better choice or am I missing something? P.S. Has Anyone ever purchased a Hyundai factory warranty that would give it the full 10 year 100,000 coverage? Thanks
My coworker bought the 100k warranty on his 2015 with the 2.4 I noticed some smoke the other day when he fired it up to go home. He might be using that warranty sooner than later.

That lifetime warranty because of the class action suit only covers failures specific to main bearings. Any other type of failure would likely not be covered.

I had a 2012 Sonata up until a few weeks ago. I signed off on the legal settlement. The specific language on the settlement was "lifetime warranty on short block". It did not specify anything about bearings, and also stated the dealer cannot deny you if you don't have maintenance records. I am not a lawyer but I read the statement of "lifetime warranty on short block" to mean just that.

The one requirement was to get the PCM software updated to the latest, which I understands listens for engine knock and will put you in limp mode if it detects knocking. I took mine in to do that a few weeks before I sold it.

Back