Better Deal ? M1 15w-50 or M1 V-Twin 20w-50 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a late model TC H-D. Local Advance auto has the V-Twin 20w-50 on sale for $7.99/qt. The local Fleet/Farm has M1 15w-50 on sale for $5.29/qt. I have seen favorable reports from both but curious as to the consensus opinion
smile.gif

Once I use up my stock of Amsoil 20-50, I'm going to try the Valvoline VR1 20-50. Seems many like it so maybe check to see the price & availability on it too. Seems to hold up well via Blackstone reports. Just another consideration - maybe

Ive heard of people being happy with both, but ive also heard the 20-50 thickens up in the harley engine where it isn't sheared by sharing the transmission..

15-50 might be better, but I havent seen enough UOA's to really know.

Originally Posted By: BillyTheKid
What kind of bike is this going in?

My bad, now I see it is a H-D. I was reading too fast. Personally I would vote for the 15-50 M1

Unless you are starting your bike under 20 or 15 degrees it doesn't matter. The second number is the grade at operating temps.

When the first number is lower generally it is "better" oil because the add pack to create better flow at very low temps make the oil a little better at start up and "better". I'm not sure this matters either to 99.9% of us who start our bikes at 40 degrees or more.

For those that commute in cold weather, I would go with the best 0w or 5w-40 I could find for the price. Another point in winter its not so important to have the second number be 50 because the outside temp will keep your engine from over heating, the main reason they call for 50 grade. In winter 0w or 5w 40, in summer 15 or 20 w 50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car54
Ive heard of people being happy with both, but ive also heard the 20-50 thickens up in the harley engine where it isn't sheared by sharing the transmission..
WHAT?

Use the Mobil 1 at that price. The key to Harley motors is to change the oil at 4-5k miles and use a good quality oil filter. Mobil 1 oil is hard to beat. Enjoy the ride.
beer3.gif

Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
Originally Posted By: car54
WHAT?

This is pretty common. Look it up.

I just snagged some M1 15w-50 closeout stock from my local Kmart for $7/qt (they only had 6 left...now they have NONE)
wink.gif

between my leftover H-D Syn 3 & the M1 stock I have enough for 4 oil changes; now I need to get some primary/chaincase lube (don't want to use the Syn 3 in the tranny again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back