Best Winter oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at Mobil 1's 0w-20 and it comes in at 43cSt @40C. I think this would provide the best protection for Canadians.
grin.gif

Buster, I had no idea that sewing was so popular in Canada. I also did not know that Mobil Exxon was makeing sewing machine oil!!
lol.gif
lol.gif

Ya if you still think any wear in the engine is from dry/cold starts with this oil your in denial. I am interested in seeing how much wear drops with an oil that will pump so quickly!! I predict that wear numbers increase.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Buster, I had no idea that sewing was so popular in Canada. I also did not know that Mobil Exxon was makeing sewing machine oil!!
lol.gif
lol.gif

Ya if you still think any wear in the engine is from dry/cold starts with this oil your in denial. I am interested in seeing how much wear drops with an oil that will pump so quickly!! I predict that wear numbers increase.

Are you implying that since the oil is such a low weight it will not stay "on top" of the engine and lubricate properly?

Steve Bergin:
quote:

"Engine oil viscosity has VIRTUALLY NO EFFECT ON WEAR."

Not saying he is right, but we still don't know. John, your underestimating the 20wts with your "old school" mindset.
lol.gif

[ August 13, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I was looking at Mobil 1's 0w-20 and it comes in at 43cSt @40C. I think this would provide the best protection for Canadians.
grin.gif

Even though Castrol 0w30 is thicker at 40c (68.5cst) I believe it'll be better for our cold winters. It's CCV is 3200cp at -30C. And with a pour point of -81F, you know it's built for the cold! I just hope we don't get more -10F mornings like we got last winter! BRRR!!

The German Castrol looks to be a great oil. I hope it is. I like everything about that I've seen. It's cold weather specs are incredible.

I just threw in a load of Petro-Can Duron XL 0W30. It's very similar to the Castrol in that it is 12.1 cSt @100°C, on the heavy side of 30 weight and it's a HDMO. It's also $3.00 cheaper a litre. Has most of the NA OEM approvals and is API SJ. Hope it will work well in a GM 5.3L

Cold Crank:
@-30°C = 2911 cP
@-35°C = 5249 cP

HT/HS = 3.5
TBN = 9.0
VI = 176

I used Castrol 0W30 last winter, and my car worked fine. No issues with the VANOS.
Plus it was a very cold winter last year in Montreal.

This year..... German Castrol 0W30. Almost can't wait for winter.

Asmodeus,

Bienvenu! Let me be the first to welcome you as a full-fledged oilaholic, or if you prefer the more elegant name, "oilesseur." Anybody who lives north of Lake Erie and looks forward to winter so he or she can try German Castrol is not only very, very intelligent but also a certified member of the club!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back