Best way to wash cement garage floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure where to post this,but anyways..

The garage floor is not only dirty,it has oil stains on it as well.What is the best way to go about cleaning the entire cement garage floor?

Thanks!

Cat litter on oil spots for 24-48 hrs. Then sweep clean. Bulk cleaner of your choice, simple green, purple power, la ta scrub if needed, rinse out the door and let dry.

Muratic acid from the hardware store. Mix 1 part acid to 3 parts water. Wet floor, apply acid with a sprayer, let sit for 10-20 minutes hose off with water. Be careful this will ruin paint and kill plants and isn't good to breathe in enclosed spaces or on your skin.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Muratic acid from the hardware store. Mix 1 part acid to 3 parts water. Wet floor, apply acid with a sprayer, let sit for 10-20 minutes hose off with water. Be careful this will ruin paint and kill plants and isn't good to breathe in enclosed spaces or on your skin.

that's to brighten the concrete. acid won't get oil out. You need a sodium hydroxide based cleaner. or sodium metasilicate based cleaner. You can buy some lye crystals and mix it in some hot water with a couple squirts of dish soap and get a crude but good cleaner. That's what the restaurant cleaner guys use to get hoods squeeky clean. use a scrub brush or spot sprayer then wait a bit and hose off.

Last edited:
good broom with good scrub brushhead is going to be just as an important tool for you. So don't neglect that tool and the physical agitation.

I'd start with dawn +hotwater. Works well enough to get crude off of animals. See if that is good enough for you as it's the least hazardous cleaner.
If that doesn't work, then move up with the more heavy duty stuff.

Last edited:
When I was a gas monkey along time ago we cleaned the floor with Tide clothes detergent. Cheap and worked like a champ. Wetted floor, sprinkled the Tide out with cup we had, and scrubbed with stiff push broom. Rinsed and squeegee dry. Done, NO slipping at all.

If you can I suggest you lightly wet it down and grab a bottle or two of purple power. Stupid name cheap price works great.

Grab a bristle broom or what not and just run over it to agitate it.

Everyone will have their own opinion but this method is less then $8 and will do a great job.

That being said cement will soak in some oil. I'm personally not an expert but after years of working with my father who lays brick and block I can confidential say it will not come out perfect.

An old timer showed me to dribble gas or a solvent on the oil stains and let it soak in for a few, then dump a bunch of floor dry or cat litter on it to soak op the oil.

Follow up by scrubbing with a good degreaser. I used Blue Wolf in a shop (Walmart sells it) and I also saw some Oil Eater on Amazon that might do the trick. There are also dedicated concrete cleaners at auto stores for that purpose.. Purple Power, laundry powder and most cleaners should get rid of any light stains.

Thanks for the input guys,gonna give it a shot later this week when the weather cools down.

thumbsup2.gif

This should go without saying, but - make sure you wear eye protection with the 'harsher', especially with the lye or acid (if you use it).

I'd start with whatever laundry detergent that you have on hand, and wash down the whole floor. It cleans well, and leaves a fresh scent.

Then, work on the oily spots with some TSP, hot water, and a scrub brush.

When I was a real estate appraiser I met an old real estate agent who showed me that the best way to get out oil stains was with a steam cleaner. He would rent an industrial steam cleaner, and [censored] if it didn't get them out with very little effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back