Best way to plastic wrap something for shipping.

Guy want me to ship this foam trunk liner,

Kia 2013 Optima trunk liner.jpg

Fedex wants it boxed or wrapped. I don't have a large enough box. How to plastic wrap it? Would a roll of Saran Wrap do?

Get a roll of pallet wrap if you go that route. Heat a cookie sheet to make a flat warming surface to shrink the wrap a bit.
Were I to wrap it I'd cut a piece of thin plywood to match the flat-surround surface evident in the photo for stiffness.
I assume this is foam which, while thick, can still crack.

Last edited:
The guy will be using a forwarder from Miami to Curacao so even more than that,

Oh my, definitely get it boxed well. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

And it will probably cost $50.

Sometimes you need to pay for the benefits. When I went to Florida last year, I bought some memorabilia that I didn't want to deal with the flight home. Found a UPS store, paid the premium, everything arrived safe.

IMO, something like this that is very fragile is worth the extra. I also think that the buyer should be paying for it.

Ahh Curacao. I've met many people from there. Their language is a funny hodgepodge of English German, Spanish, and I think Dutch.

You definitely need to find a box or make one like I said above. And in this case, there's no such thing as too much packaging, padding, etc, etc.

If you just put the plastic wrap on it, FedEx will classify it as an IC and not get put through the sorting system. However, it will likely get crushed when it gets put in the trailers. It will probably go to the Hagerstown hub and then strait run down to Orlando, so not too many trucks. However, I'd still put it in a box. Less likely to get lost, as the label has something better to stick to.

Uhaul carries a lot of boxes in different/odd sizes, and a lot of boxes in larger sizes.

Back