Best way to mow an abandoned area

I have a property in which the back half acre or so was not mowed in approx 5-6 years. It consists of small saplings, shumak, and tall grass that is bent over and decaying.

I went ahead and used a brush cutter to get the saplings taken care or, and cut all the bigger stuff with a sawzall. I really need to get a brush hog back there but there is no way to get a tracor back into that area. What are the chances I can mow it with a crappy lawn mower blade a few times to break down all the dead stuff?

I've seen people do that, you'll have to push or ride the mower on the highest setting and mow slow . should do ok

I don't know your reason against it but I would use a brush hog behind a tractor to get it mowed then you can maintain it with a regular mower.. 5-6 years without cutting will be very thick.. If you use a rider, prepair to have a belt fail. I mow a 4 acre field twice a year and seeing how the grass grows, I wouldn't consider using my riding mower to mow even a half acre of that stuff.

Rent something like this:

billygoatweedmower-279x300.jpg

If the brush mower has cut the saplings down low enough that you wont hit the stumps and the big stuff has been removed, you should be able to use a walk behind set high or you could rent a tow behind trail mower if you have an ATV to pull it.

There's this landscaper on Social Media (I can't remember the Youtube channel), that goes around and finds property in distress and offers the owner of the property to mow it for free. His videos may point you in the right direction.

A DR with a brush hog would make short work of it. I had a DR when I lived in Vermont. Mine had a 17 HP Kawasaki twin. Wouldn’t go with anything less.

Attachments for lawn mower, brush hog, and snowblower are available.

About the perfect Vermont set of power equipment.

Where I live, there are people that offer bush hog mowing and that’s what I would do instead of tack it myself.

Back