Best way to get a good deal on a Lawn Tractor cart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am talking about the steel carts you tow behing the Cub Cadt LTX 1045 or something of that type. Are they standard and one brand will work with another brand Lawn Tractor? If I see one at a flea market, garage sale, or Craig's List, I could buy it and be sure it will work with about any popular LT? I know I can buy one a Lowe's or Home Depot, but I figured I could save some money and buy one locally. But will it fit?

Either look on Craigslist or wait until the end of the season and see if you can get one marked down (I have seen cheapos as cheap as $40 at the end of the season.) Any of them will fit, It just becomes a question of quality, features or colors.

As long as the trailer is designed to be towed with a Clevis pin, and your lawn tractor has that type of connector "hole" at the back, it will work.

Hint: almost all lawn tractor carts use this type of hitch connection and almost all lawn tractors are designed to be able to hitch these types of carts. They are pretty universal.

Just as an FYI, I bought ours at Northern Tool. Although it had to be put together it was of a decent size, has a solid 5/8" axle and I put a piece of 5/8" plywood on the floor and haul it behind our '72 Ingersoll and '47 Farmall. It was $150 delivered to our door. Very heavy-duty IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
As long as the trailer is designed to be towed with a Clevis pin, and your lawn tractor has that type of connector "hole" at the back, it will work.

Hint: almost all lawn tractor carts use this type of hitch connection and almost all lawn tractors are designed to be able to hitch these types of carts. They are pretty universal.

This ^^^^

Jim, just be sure not to overload the hitch plate on your LT, or try to pull too much and you'll be fine. You can pick up a clevis pin at hardware or OPE stores.

Originally Posted By: JTK
You can pick up a clevis pin at hardware or OPE stores.

...or you can just use a old rusty 3/8" x 4" bolt or an old screwdriver.

I remembered I had a new Northern Tool & Equip. cat. that I had not looked at. No two wheel carts here! They start off with 4 wheel 400 lb. steel mesh and hand pull handle=$70.00. then go to a 1400 lb.4 wheel that the steel mesh sides fold down for 130.00, but also a hand pull design. Next up is a dump style with plastic bed and 1200 lb. capacity with a handle for hand pull OR hitch to a Lawn tractor or ATV. All for only $150.00. I like the combi handle on the $150.00 model, but wish I could get it on the 130.00 steel mesh cart which has 200 lb. more capacity!

Mine is a 1500 lb (IIRC), 2-wheel, steel dump model. As stated, I put plywood in the bottom and it is very strudy....very rarely do I use the dump feature but it's there if I need it. I've had mine about 5 years now.

I'd buy another!

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
I am talking about the steel carts you tow behing the Cub Cadt LTX 1045 or something of that type. Are they standard and one brand will work with another brand Lawn Tractor? If I see one at a flea market, garage sale, or Craig's List, I could buy it and be sure it will work with about any popular LT? I know I can buy one a Lowe's or Home Depot, but I figured I could save some money and buy one locally. But will it fit?

I do NOT recommend hooking up a John Deere dump cart behind a Cub Cadet.

Originally Posted By: HM12460

I do NOT recommend hooking up a John Deere dump cart behind a Cub Cadet.

LOL!

I was waiting for something along those lines.

Here are two carts from Harbor Freight Tools/HFT. For $55.00, you can get a Bigfoot Panel wagon with wooden slats. 330 lb. capacity. Hand pull style handle. Really a little red wagon, not a heavy duty lawn cart.Now for $80.00, you get a steel mesh wagon rated at 1000 capacity. by Haulmaster. No sides, but are sides available at additional cost? I can't tell from the photo if it is a hand pull or a clevis style tongue.

I was thinking that the steel mesh cart with a sheet of plywood thrown in as a 'bed liner' as someone suggested, would be good. But since I don't have a garage or barn to store this in, a poly. version might be the way to go.

No, of course not. I leave it outside under a tarp. Actually I wish I had a nice garage for my tools and toys to stay safe and out of the weather. I even wish for a car port.

Tractor Supply flyer that came in the mail yesterday and they have a dump cart for $99 on sale right now.

Thanks, DW, that sounds like a good deal. I have a TSC right near me in Lexington SC and I will go by the next time I am in town. I am getting the 'cart before the horse. I also need to get my good old Snapper RER running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back