Best way to change 2.2L cavalier filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you might know, I acquired a 97 Cavalier 2.2 with 125k miles. I went out and bought some Valvoline Maxlife and a Purone filter from Advance auto. Problem is, the oil filter looks like a [censored] to get to. I am removing the valve cover later to change the leaky gasket out, can i get to it from the top maybe? Anyone with any experience with these cars I would appreciate help! Thanks!

You can get to it from the top, behind the steering pump, or you can park it with the steering at full lock left and go in behind the right side tire.

Hope it's better than my Mazda Protege' - back of the motor against the firewall under the intake between coolant and A/C piping. I bought a filter-specific cap wrench for that and never looked back; the 2-jaw cap wrenches work good too - not so much the three jaw ...Now, If you want a nut on your filter ala K&N, just buy some hex nuts and epoxy them on - work fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
You can get to it from the top, behind the steering pump, or you can park it with the steering at full lock left and go in behind the right side tire.

+1

They are a pain in the butt....

They are a PITA and I have always found it easiest to get at them from underneath.

I would seriously look into a "remote mount" kit that will allow you to relocate the filter to an easier location.

You can then use it on your next vehicle.

I grab mine from the bottom after putting the car up on ramps. I don't think it is that bad to get at. In fact, I have more problem getting the new filter on than the old one off since you can't see the bugger...

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Hope it's better than my Mazda Protege' - back of the motor against the firewall under the intake between coolant and A/C piping. I bought a filter-specific cap wrench for that and never looked back; the 2-jaw cap wrenches work good too - not so much the three jaw ...Now, If you want a nut on your filter ala K&N, just buy some hex nuts and epoxy them on - work fine.

i always thought those were the easiest filters to change..

On a semi cool engine, I have always gotten mine by reaching from the top of the engine. Not as bad as it looks really.

Just double check to make sure the gasket came off with the filter removal.

Last edited:
Got it done.... Did it from the tire turned full left behind there. Worst part was the filter wrench wasn't the right size and had to be modified (by breaking parts of it off) in order to fit it.

My step dad had a 96 Sunfire. I got to the filter by shoving my hand through the AC piping and the PS pump and using a little wrist action to get it off and on.

Let's ponder why the filters are so hard to change on these vehicles...

Right... GM
33.gif

Oh come now. Like GM is the only one with a PITA filter?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

How about the mess many others made of cartridge filters? GM certainly got the Ecotec right.

The biggest PIA filter change I have encountered so far is the filter on my Sentra. I dont know whats around it as I cannot see it, just feel around for it.

I knew that would rattle some chains... Honda can also be added to that list for some of their vehicles!
grin2.gif

Lighten up and have some fun...

Nissan, most of the time, more so on newer ones. Toyota on some of their models. Espically the higher-end ones, like Lexus. THe V8 equipped current Titan with cartridge filter, is notable. Along with the RX330. I see one of those I find something else I "need" to do. Hondas seem pretty good about it, usually. Ford escape with V6 is pretty bad. Many Ford Trucks/SUVs with Modular series engines can be a hassle. Heck the cars with the Mod engines are often not cake, either. Pre 2003 Crown Vics, for example, are not the easiest unless you know a trick. Basically, they all do it at some point or another. They design and engine and then design a vehicle separately. Meeting other requirements is higher than where the oil filter is. As long as it can be removed I guess. Ive actually come across a Kia SUV thing that I had to downsize the filter to a 9688 from a 3593 in order to get it to fit in. It was that tight. I suspect it was really tight always and the motor settling in over 100k made it a little lower (it sat straight up and down).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have owned mostly GM, and the only one I remember being bad was the cartridge on my '57 Chevy V-8. My daughter's 90 Baretta and my Grand Am did have to go up on ramps, but were fairly easy then.

On my 71 Valiant with the V-8, the filter was easy to get a strap wrench on, but once you took the slack out, you were hitting the torsion bar or fender.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Let's ponder why the filters are so hard to change on these vehicles...

Right... GM
33.gif

GM used the same 2.2 engine in their S-10 pickups for years and this placed the filter in plain view and easy access on the RH side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back