Best Way to Add ATF

I'm changing the ATF in my LS400 and my 4Runner. Doing a few D&F's. They both have dipsticks. I have tried 2 different funnels and both have made messes in my driveway. I poured it slow and it slowly leaked down the tube. It was pretty cold this morning and I should have had on more that my PJ's and a T shirt but I was only pouring about a pee stream size pour. It still overflowed. I got out the cat litter and all will be "ok".

What I want to know is this. Is there a device that I can insert in the dipstick tube that will allow me to fill up the funnel and no ATF overflow the dipstick tube?

Or what do you guys use? I guess I could go to Walmart Parking lot in the far corner and....NAH!

You don't have to fill the funnel all the way :D

As soon as the level stops going down, stop filling it. Let the level go down some before adding any more.

Some cars require the car to be running when adding ATF :unsure:

As soon as the level stops going down, stop filling it. Let the level go down some before adding any more.

Yeah especially if they have a drain bolt in the converter to drain which adds more to the quantity to put back in. You've gotta pour some quarts in and run it it for a little and keep repeating.

I ain't. It's not even getting above the "tube" portion. I got that long funnel and I got the one with the clear looking ridges piping that is attached to the funnel itself. It took forever pouring one qt. And I had 8 qts between both vehicles. I may have chipped a tooth my teeth were chattering so much.

This is interesting. I will try that on my next attempts. I snuck the 4Runner in the garage while my wife was at work. I can't afford a leak
in there. Will not be good. My wife doesn't like the auto fluids tracked in the house. I must admit, she has a valid point.

I've never seen one for sale but I had one at work.... The funnel, at the outlet side, had a crimp (it was a metal funnel) in it that kept it from fully sealing into the opening it was inserted into. This allowed air to vent and avoided burping.

There are long thin special funnels for that, go to an auto parts store and ask. Yes check and fill with it on flat and running. If you don't want drips put card board under it while filling it.

Some Honda cars like CRV check and fill when stopped. But to check they have a time limit.

if you leave a gap around the bottom of the funnel it will let air out and stop the overflowing on some cars. just pull it up a little so the funnel doesn't seal on the tube. conversly if you can get a better seal it won't let the atf leak

Some Honda cars like CRV check and fill when stopped. But to check they have a time limit.
I know in 2012 (and later), could go back further, Honda says get the transmission warm, shut it off, and check the level after XX seconds (want to say 30) but before 90 seconds.

Would it work to stick a straight length of wire (like an unbent coat hanger) down the funnel to burp the fluid?

Or, could you run a piece of plastic tubing (like refrigerator water-supply hose) down the funnel? That would provide an exit path for the air being expelled.

I don’t fill the funnel. I pour it slow enough that all of the fluid goes in. The thinner the dip stick tube the slower you have to pour. On my old Mazda3 it was a really slow process.
Me, either. My problem is after I pull the cars in the garage or park them in the driveway, the doggone ATF keeps on dripping. I ain't
losing my mind over it as I only change the ATF's every 30K in the cars with dipsticks. But I do two 5 qt D&F's on my 4Runner and four 2.5 qt
D&F's on my LS400. Maybe just get one of those oil mats to catch most of it while filling????

if you leave a gap around the bottom of the funnel it will let air out and stop the overflowing on some cars. just pull it up a little so the funnel doesn't seal on the tube. conversly if you can get a better seal it won't let the atf leak
My funnel does have 4 tiny ridges around the perimeter going up the shaft. I would figure that would be "gap" enough.

I think I'm going for a funnel and a better seal.

Funnel inserted fully. Pour slowly, a trickle, even, so the transmission fill tube doesn’t fill up. No funnel will seal on that kind of tube, and you’ll get fluid dribbling down the outside if you let the fluid back up in the fill tube because of an airlock.

Funnel inserted fully. Pour slowly, a trickle, even, so the transmission fill tube doesn’t fill up. No funnel will seal on that kind of tube, and you’ll get fluid dribbling down the outside if you let the fluid back up in the fill tube because of an airlock.
You are killing my back. :oops::LOL:

Back