best washer fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
what's the best washer fluid that one can get for a normal price? I want something with good bug-cleaning.
what waher fluids do you guys have good experience with?

Thanks...

I use the RainX. I like it. The other thing is that I keep a spray bottle filled and use it for all of my windows (house included). I even use it to keep my engine compartment clean.

When I used to go to Canada (St. Thomas, ON) I got pink bugwash at the Flying-J in London that worked very well. Don't see it here in the US.

I think they have the Pink Bugwash at Pep Boys here in LA...pretty sure I saw it - hard to miss it - looks like fabric softener or something
smile.gif

I found that Prestone also makes a green "Bug wash" washer fluid..I think I'll try it this summer, and lete you guys know how it works,

For bugs, I love whatever the Volvo dealer puts in whenever I'm there. Cuts through anything, even dried bird poop.

But otherwise, I do like the RainX de-icer formula. It doesn't clean the best, but it is very nice in the rain.

are these special bug removing formulas safe on your cars paint? will it eat the wax or anything?

GM's OptiClean, available at GM dealerships (of course) Quite possibly the best there is, and cheap too. RainX is the next choice, but only becasue it helps keep the original application last longer.

Slightly off topic, but, I save my used antifreeze and use it as washerfluid in the winter. It melts ice off very well. Not many bugs in the winter though...

Supertech, $1.07 a gallon. Winter formula in the winter and regular in the summer.

I use walmart brand washer fluid. I should have stocked up on the free washer fluid after rebate at autozone last year! I guess that is what I get for worrying about oil too much
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
Slightly off topic, but, I save my used antifreeze and use it as washerfluid in the winter. It melts ice off very well.

Hmm... I always thought it was a big no-no because the coolant would produce streaks on the windshield. I've never tried it though.

The best washer fluid is the stuff I can get for $0.99 or less!

I've been using Rain-X, but I still need to use my wipers in most situations since I'm not usually moving fast enough or the rain is not falling fast enough for it to be of any benefit. After I use up my stash, it's back to the regular blue stuff for me. I don't think much of Rain-X's bug removing ability, either. Upper Michigan's bugs are no match for it.

I need something that removes bugs. The Rain-x is out because it makes my PIAA Silicon blades chatter. Normally they are quiet as a mouse, even on a dry windshield. The "blue stuff" isn't cutting it. The bugs are messing up my windshield and the ability of the wiper blades. Is the Prestone stuff good at bug removal?

quote:

Originally posted by yugrus:

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
Slightly off topic, but, I save my used antifreeze and use it as washerfluid in the winter. It melts ice off very well.

Hmm... I always thought it was a big no-no because the coolant would produce streaks on the windshield. I've never tried it though.

Streaks are not the problem, the problem is it's bad for the environment and if I'm not mistaken, it's bad for your car's paint. I also remember hearing that it is not good for the washer system. I assumed he was joking.

I've gotta remember the used antifreeze in the windshield washer reservoir trick. Antifreeze is biodegradeable, so I'm not worried about environmental concerns. But since ethylene glycol is highly toxic, that seems the perfect solution (pun intended) for tailgaters to get a good dose of through their fresh air vents. I've also contemplated training my tomcat to "go" into a gallon jug. A little of that in a tailgater's fresh air inlet is, indeed, the gift that keeps on giving...

lol.gif
Yeah, but remember Ray, you're going to be getting a good whiff of that yourself. Maybe you could configure a special jet and pump to mist it into the air away from your fresh air intake.

quote:

A little of that in a tailgater's fresh air inlet is, indeed, the gift that keeps on giving...

lol.gif
Ray, you've given me my first good belly laugh for the day
cheers.gif

As Matt said, just be a litle careful and maybe use it in the rear window washer (if you have one;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back