best washer fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
as to washer fluids, Castrol here in Oz have a ripper that cuts through bugs and crap brilliantly. We've tried many different brands over the years (living in the bush, we go through a lot of washer fluid) and keep going back to the Castrol pink concentrate.

I use the prestone bug wash. may smell like crap but works the best i seen. wish I had more of the military version of rain x. I well borrowed a bottle while I was a crew cheif on B-52. we had to apply this every month. I was liek wonder how it works on car windshields. well I never and I mena never had to use my wipers when I got up to 15 MPH. even in a down pour. dont knwo what they put in it but it was great. rain X could learn a few things from that stuff. might have to give my af buddies a call and get me some more.

I just went and got the Prestone Bugwash(green), too. $2.98 at AAP. I just used it for the 1st time,and I must say the windshield looked very clean...normally with other brands I always see a few spots (mostly bugs) that I had use my hands to get off...not with this stuff. I'm satisfied for now, will see how it works further...

I'd have to back off on my Raines orange stuff. I guess I have never thought how well or poorly it does on bugs. There might be better out there for that. I just know it does a good job cleaning in general.

I like the walmart premium brand one.. its yellow.
Much better than cheap blue in the winter
and seems to dissolve dirt and light bugs decently.. for 1.68/gal

VW used to have a windshield washer fluid booster that was really good stuff. It was a yellow liquid in a funny two capped bottle. I went to buy some more a couple years ago and the VW parts guy said it was longer being made. I've tried the P21S product but it makes the wipers chatter like #ell. Yeah I tried all the winshield cleaning methods but they still chatter until I stop using the P21S stuff.

Boy would I like to find some more of the original VW booster.

I run the cheapest blue antifreeze junk in the winter. I'm one of those guys who hates computerized timered squirters as they waste fluid.

In the summer, plain water mixed with a little blue.

Obstinate bugs or droppings, I power-wash off.
smile.gif

during the last locust plague here, people were layering Glad Wrap/Cling Wrap across their screens and peeling it off like a race car drivers helmet tear off. Straight Windex wouldn't have cut through the suckers.
Lots of overheated vehicles, and every car and truck became yelow at the front, regardless of what colour the duco was.....
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
Distilled water one gallon, cup of vineger, 3 drops dish washing liquid. Good for warn climents

The dish washing liquid is not good if it gets on your paint! You might want to substitue the dish soap for some true car wash shampoo.

I have the entire alphabet in the trunk/shed it seems like. Two gallons of orange RainX, Three of yellow Prestone's Deicer, Four of Prestone's Bugwash, and two gallons of Mr Clean green all season fluid. Years ago when I had blue "stuff" (to put it kindly) in one of my previous cars it actually froze. So ever since then the only time I would ever use blue is in a spray bottle to clean off the other windows. Does anyone remember the Purple washer fluid that Peak put out about 8-10 years ago? It was for winter, and had ammonia in it. Didn't work on windows, but was EXCELLENT on spotting and removing the unwanted paint from your vehicle.
mad.gif

We have two "love bug" seasons here, I have tried all kinds of washer fluids to get these darn things off my windshield and the one that does the best job is Rain-X. It still dosent get them completly off but it does the best job.

For those that were curious, the antifreeze was not a joke. It works well. It is biodegradable. If not completly exhausted, it should still have some decent buffering capacity. I have not tried the organic acid based DexCool formulations. It does draw attention though. The smell attracts the helpful mechanics in parking lots. "it smells like you may have a hose leak"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back