Best Value Differential Oil 75W-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the subject title suggest I'm looking for something for non-limited slip differentials in a 1-ton Chevy & 1/2 Ton RAM. Figure I'll change it every 2-years or 50K miles.

Valvoline synpower 75w90 is usually available for around 8.99/qt or so.

another good one is Castrol Syn 75w90. its usually priced the same.

you could also use supetech 75w90 synthetic from walmart for around $6/qt i believe.

Personally im a fan of the Valvoline 75w90

The 75w-90 at Wally is GL-5 rated. Not expensive and your diffs won't know the difference.

OP wants BEST VALUE

The problem I found the last time I changed my Gear Oil was "Selection"
It was either Valvoline or Lucas.

If Lucas is free then I may use it, I refuse to pay even 1 penny for any Lucas product.

Which defines "Best Value" ? The one you pay less upfront but change more often or the one you pay more but change less ? How about someone take their vehicle to garage or dealer for maintenance, do you account labor cost ? How about higher upfront cost but extend the life of the critical part(s) by several years and thousands of miles ?

For a long interval such as transmission fluid and gear fluid I rather pay more upfront cost and change it less often, Amsoil SVG is an excellent choice.

Last edited:
Best Value? Supertech syn blend.. qt

I prefer motul gear 300 or redline though.

Schaeffer's Oils are too hard to acquire.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If Lucas is free then I may use it, I refuse to pay even 1 penny for any Lucas product.

Which defines "Best Value" ? The one you pay less upfront but change more often or the one you pay more but change less ? How about someone take their vehicle to garage or dealer for maintenance, do you account labor cost ? How about higher upfront cost but extend the life of the critical part(s) by several years and thousands of miles ?

For a long interval such as transmission fluid and gear fluid I rather pay more upfront cost and change it less often, Amsoil SVG is an excellent choice.

^^This hands down

Originally Posted By: Rand
Best Value? Supertech syn blend.. qt

I prefer motul gear 300 or redline though.

Schaeffer's Oils are too hard to acquire.

+1 if you're changing it every 2 years Supertech syn blend is your best bet. As mentioned earlier, your gears wont notice any difference.

mobil 1 75w90 under $10 a quart from advance auto part with coupon
smile.gif

Changing it is easier than an oil change so I don't really add labor. I have a pump so I just stick a hose in and pump it out and reverse it and pump the new in. I just used the ST so I am feeling justified although it was $5.33 qt.

I buy Valvoline because it is usually at a low price and most auto part stores have it in stock.

I have heard that SuperS gear oil costs less, but I only see it at K-mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back