"Best Uses" For Amsoil Engine Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must get asked this question, 5-6 times a week, so I thought I'd post this. These are not hard and fast rules, but have worked well for me over the past 25 years ....

Series 2000, 0w-30 ...Very high performance 4/6/8, cylinder engines, particularly turbocharged four cylinder engines, with drain intervals of 10k-15k miles, depending on operating conditions. Also good for automotive diesels like the VW TDI that call for VW 505 or ACEA "B4" specifications ....

5w-30/10w-30 ...Domestic, non-turbocharged, 4/6/8 cylinder engines with drain intervals up to 20k/15k/12k respectively ....

Series 3000, 5w-30 ...Domestic, non-turbocharged, 4/6/8 engines with drain intervals up to 25k/20k/15k miles, respectively. "Problem" engines like the 3.0L, Toyota V-6 and the 2.4L Nissan engine used in the Altima, or other engines that badly shear the oil. Marine Inboards and Motorcycle/ATV applications that call for JASO-MA, wet clutch performance.

10w-40/15w-40 ...high mileage, worn engines with drain intervals up to 15k miles; Marine inboards; motorcycles and all types of diesel engines.

S2000, 20w-50 ... very high mileage, older European engines, most of which allow the use of 20w-50 down to -10C/+14F. I now run this oil year round in my high mileage, 1990 Audi 100, w/ the 2.3L, five cylinder engine.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

5w-30/10w-30 ...Domestic, non-turbocharged, 4/6/8 cylinder engines with drain intervals up to 20k/15k/12k respectively ....

Note that the 10w30ATM says on the front "turbo charged formula" I would also put the 10w30 for an econmomical alternative to the 0w30 in performance.

I don't belive that the 10w30 contains any VII's. So it is also very shear stable and has a very low NOACK vol %.

quote:

4/6/8 cylinder engines with drain intervals up to 20k/15k/12k

TS, wouldn't the 8 cylinder motors be easier on the oil than a 4 banger? With the higher RPM and heat associated with the 4 bangers, I always thought that you would get a shorter interval.

quote:

Originally posted by 47HO:

quote:

TS, wouldn't the 8 cylinder motors be easier on the oil than a 4 banger? With the higher RPM and heat associated with the 4 bangers, I always thought that you would get a shorter interval.

Fuel dilution/quantity of fuel burned?

quote:

quote:

Nope, you will have more fuel dilution, blow-by and moisture with a big V-8 than a small 4 banger. If your using a good synthetic heat won't be much of a problem in a 4 banger, except in the case of the problem engines noted.

Fuel dilution will cut the viscosity, which will rapidly deteriorate the oil, then it will thicken beyond the proper viscosity turning the oil into a black globby mess.

Amsoil dealer of mine, went the 1 year in his Dodge. The 0w30 had turned to a 50 weight and he had high wear metals and fuel dilution. I told him not to do this but no matter.

TS & MS, your info is greatly appreciated. I'm searching for the best oil for picky oil consumer (me!) in a strange situation. My wifes car gets driven 5-6 days a week 2 miles to work in Michigan. It's a 2002 Subaru 3.0L 6 that is CRAMMED in the engine compartment. The reason I mention the tightness is, in the summer, this car retains heat under the hood w/ the engine off like I can't describe. In the summer, I can drive it for a half hour, park it for 4 HOURS, come back, and underhood temps are still almost too hot to touch. My father has the same car, but he uses Castrol GTX (dealer bulk) and looking inside through the oil filler, I can see that the oil is starting to cook, and this is the coolest part of the engine! I'm currently using Mobil1 5w-30. One other note, and the reason I'm NOT using Amsoil in any of the vehicles I care for (all scoobies) is that Subaru has moly coated piston skirts. 3 of the 5 vehicles (82,000, 119,000 and 124,000 miles) all have classic cold piston slap. I'm trying to avoid this in the two new ones, one of them being the wife's and I'm assuming (correctly? incorrectly? that the moly in the Mobil1 MAY HELP prolong the point at which this happens in the new ones. Am I babling? Am I making any sense?

IGNORING the above, what would your recommendation be for VERY repeated, VERY short trips in cold weather? Hot weather? (-20F in winter to 100F in summer)

Now, taking the above into account, what would be your recommendation? (Besides seeing a shrink to make me not worry about my oil choice
gr_eek2.gif
)

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

quote:

Nope, you will have more fuel dilution, blow-by and moisture with a big V-8 than a small 4 banger. If your using a good synthetic heat won't be much of a problem in a 4 banger, except in the case of the problem engines noted.

Fuel dilution will cut the viscosity, which will rapidly deteriorate the oil, then it will thicken beyond the proper viscosity turning the oil into a black globby mess.

Not to mention, most V8s have less oil per cubic inch than the smaller V6s and I4s.

quote:

Originally posted by n8wvi:

IGNORING the above, what would your recommendation be for VERY repeated, VERY short trips in cold weather? Hot weather? (-20F in winter to 100F in summer)

Now, taking the above into account, what would be your recommendation? (Besides seeing a shrink to make me not worry about my oil choice
gr_eek2.gif
)

Dave

My Vote goes to Series 3000 5w30 HDD oil changed once a year, filters changed every 6 months. I would also put a cap on mileage for the year of 12,500 miles

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
Hello - what have we got ? Not another Amsoil marketing post ? Surely not!!!!

This post may require attention from a Moderator?

Regards

Doug,
Hi....hello there.....I think you've got their number!!!
wink.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Hi,
Last_Z - I hope so, at least half of the posts here already are from Amsoil's own "camp"

They have our number!

Is Amsoil really that hard to sell????

One thing is for sure it no longer how good a product it may be it has lost credibility for me

Regards

Doug, This thread is an informative in nature, it's not meant to sell Amsoil. I will be purchasing Amsoil in the future and I appreciate TS's comments. I think you're being too hard on the Amsoil guys here. Really.

Agree w/ ToyNSat. Just an informative post for AMSoil users from someone with tons of experience with it.
dunno.gif

Hi,
ToyotaNSaturn & Jason - this thread WAS STARTED by an A....l Dealer. It was NOT STARTED by a person seeking information and advice
If it had been that would have added a different slant indeed

This range of products is well covered here via the "search" function - it did not warrant a Dealer started thread IMHO

A lot of people with exceptional expertise contribute to this Board. Some with much more perhaps than the Dealers. Such product "pushing" will cause these people to go elsewhere and their collective expertise will go with them

I have no doubt that TooSlick ( Ted )has a lot to contribute but I do not believe BOB intended this Board to become a marketing enclave

Check out how the "Who is using Mobil 1 R?" thread to see how it was "hijacked" and completely lost the plot!

Regards

Doug,

It may be marketing, but it's good information unlike corporate AMSOIL BS. They are also site sponsors. I can put up with a little marketing to keep the site free. If you didn't want to hear about it don't read it. It's just one thread among thousands. It is good information for those of us who want to know. I'm sorry you have a lot against AMSOIL - they can be a pain sometimes but they do make a good oil.

Hi,
Benjamming - I have nothing against the product at all and expect that it is probably very good

I object to this independent Board being blatently used for marketing by a few - when it was not intended to be

Or should it be everybody in - Mobil, Castrol and etc ?

Regards

I get asked this question all the time.

Mobil 1 0w-20 - Excellent for all Honda's and Fords calling for 20wt oils.

Mobil 1 X-30- Great oils for most vehicles calling for 30wt oils.

Mobil 1 0w-40- Great for turbo charged cars and engines with slightly larger clearances.

Mobil 1 15w-50- High Mileage cars with supercharged engines.

Mobil 1 R 0w-30- Any high performance car.

Mobil SUV-5w-40- All of the above.

Mobil 1 SS contains high doses of Calcium and Boron with some Moly to offset the need for ZDDP.

OilSlick
YankeeSynthetics

lol.gif
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back