"Best" UOA Company?

The most popular company seems to be Blackstone on here. Yet, it seems that often enough, there is some grumbling about their quality/accuracy (fuel amount, etc.).
Is there a clear "best" place to send your sample to, as far as quality and accuracy are concerned? I've only used Blackstone in the past, and only a couple of times at that. Secondarily, is there a big swing in costs? Or, is like like everything else, YMMV?

Is there a clear "best" place to send your sample to, as far as quality and accuracy are concerned?

No, the best you can hope for is accreditation, ISO and the individual quality plan for that lab ( not to mention the type equipment and staff training/certs they require which is part of the average quality plan)

Secondarily, is there a big swing in costs? Or, is like like everything else,

This is somewhat of a grey area. "Cost" has more than one meaning and its tied to not only the test but level of detail of said test ( more than one type of test for many items) and then what is included in the "base" cost.

Then there are costs for add on tests or other specialty testing.

Also, the sample ( in terms of quantity, where taken, how taken and time between sample take and analysis) proper plays a large part in potentially skewing of the results.

Lastly, some of that "grumbling" is only based in miscommunication/misunderstanding and level of understanding of the average person and the results. ( some OA companies don't help this by their comments either)

There are a lot of factors in play here.

I would try NAPA at $16 with TBN. Blackstone is more expensive and TBN is extra. Blackstone provides useless comments. Polaris is as good at NAPA but more expensive.

NAPA is pretty easy, buy the kit at local store for $16. They may need to get a kit from warehouse but that only takes a day.

Fundamentally it’s a commodity. Finding a lab with certifications and QC is worthwhile. Blackstone will interpret the results for you in plain English and provide averages for your unit. That’s worth something.

I’ve done three in the past 8 years and I feel like I’ve gotten value. I learned for example,that on my Ford, that there’s very little to no cushion built into the IOLM. “Change oil” really means “Pull off the highway and find the nearest Quicklube place. Now.” So I pulled my change interval back to 7k from 8K unless I am using extended performance synthetic.

Incessantly testing with 4K change intervals makes no sense unless you accept that you are an oil change hobbyist.

I run about a hundred samples a year at work. We have used Schaeffer webscope, Carter Cat labs, Chevron lubewatch (ALS) and Horizons. Information and accuracy goes to ALS. They put the money into their equipment and train very well. Customer service and turn around time goes to Schaeffer. Cost goes to ALS at $11 a kit. Als is great for my purposes of managing my fleet but they take forever. In fairness the majority of the wait time is shipping but they must hire someone to walk it there because I use 2 labs in Ohio and theirs always takes at least a week longer. I'm in VA and mailed a sample to ALS Oct. 13. They got it Nov 3. All others are about a week to 10 days to get results.

Back