Best type of exhaust pipe clamp to use?

I need to join a aftermarket cat to a resonator - I had a local dude weld on a length of pipe to a junkyard resonator. New Chinese cat slips in to the pipe since the OD is reduced. The cheap clamp supplied doesn’t work. What kind of clamp should I use, or get it welded?

27FF92BB-BFE9-45BA-9CB0-4E578F6B0678.jpeg

use a quality 300 series stainless clamp on a quality stainless system. others matter little as they will corrode quickly + wont come apart, so any cheap clamp that holds thongs together until corrosion sets in will work + most modern systems use cheaper 400 series that corrodes BUT not supposed to rot THRU!!

Ordered a band clamp from O’Reilly. I’m gonna cut the slit in the resonator pipe, apply a bead of Permatex Optimum Red high-temp and install the clamp.

I could weld it, but I want to make this as unappealing for a thief as possible.

What Trav said and plan B is also on his link:

What makes the band style nice is they clamp well without permanently crimping the pipe making removal at a later date very easy.
U bolt clamps damage the pipe making removal a real bear, air, chisels, sawzall, cutoff wheels and all that fiasco, it really sucks if the pipe you want to save is on the outside like the op has, now you have to cut the inside one off and chisel the inner out without buggering the outside pipe then you need to remove the crimp made by the U bolt clamp.

What makes the band style nice is they clamp well without permanently crimping the pipe making removal at a later date very easy.
U bolt clamps damage the pipe making removal a real bear, air, chisels, sawzall, cutoff wheels and all that fiasco, it really sucks if the pipe you want to save is on the outside like the op has, now you have to cut the inside one off and chisel the inner out without buggering the outside pipe then you need to remove the crimp made by the U bolt clamp.
Not being able to remove a pipe put together with a u-bolt clamp is a lack of skill. Its not that hard to get them apart without damaging the pipe and it makes a tighter seal than the strap clamps. Remove the clamp, a little heat, and off it comes.

Not being able to remove a pipe put together with a u-bolt clamp is a lack of skill. Its not that hard to get them apart without damaging the pipe and it makes a tighter seal than the strap clamps. Remove the clamp, a little heat, and off it comes.
It makes a difference if you put it on or someone else did and now its your lap. We have to agree to disagree on this one.

The clamp didn’t work. The ID of the resonator pipe is 1.875”, the cat end is 1.83” OD. I tried an exhaust pipe expander to stretch the cat end, no luck.

So my dilemma now is to get a 1.94” U-bolt clamp or have it welded.

Yea, the 1.94” HDGM clamp worked, I really wanted to use the Torca Accuseal, but it didn’t come in smaller sizes. If there was a 1.94” 48mm size it would have been perfect.

As usual, Trav's advice is Golden. I followed his posted link to Torca, and this is the 1st paragraph on that site:

Torca EasySeal exhaust clamps are made from 100% 304 stainless steel for a simple, effective way to connect exhaust system components such as pipes, mufflers and catalytic converters and are ideal for slip joint applications.Torca EasySeal clamps replace U-bolts and clamps. Don't be fooled by inferior knock offs! The patented design makes for fast, easy and accurate installation - there's no need to separate pipes or exhaust members before clamping.

I'm not a mehanic for a living, but I know 304 stainless steel does NOT rust. PERIOD. EVER.

That type of clamp will not work if the fit is so loose, the inner should have been expanded to fit snug. Too late now it is crushed together, it works but IMO is not ideal if it needs replacing at some point.

Back