Best Trans Oil For Mitsubishi Twin-Stick

Hey everyone,

I picked up a great condition 1984 Plymouth Colt GTS Turbo with a Twin-Stick transmission - a true survivor with a rather interesting trans. I want to ensure I change the transmission fluid with the best possible choice as there is are very little if any parts left out there should something in the drivetrain go.

The manual that came with the car calls for API GL-4 SAW 75W-85W, Haynes recommends "SAE 80 gear oil", while the Chrysler factory service manual recommends "MOPAR Hypoid Gear Oil or equivalent".

I've been considering Redline MT-85 (75W85 GL-4) and would appreciate any recommendations as my experience with pre 90's cars and their nuances is limited.

Thank you!

-Mike

Colt12x.jpg

Colt8.jpg

That's a cool little car....I'm assuming it's a 1.6 turbo or maybe a 1.5?...I've (our family) had a few Colt's in my time....the first was a brand new 1977 ....a used 79'.. then a new 1988 and a new 1993. All were bulletproof but certainly not 'fast' as I assume the turbo is. Good Luck with it. There is a GL-4 75W80 gear oil made by Ravenol that's available on Amazon.

PS: I looked it up....it's a 1.6T....at least in the USA it was...It's a shame that Mitsubishi went so far down since back then....

Last edited:
Amazing ! Had an '82 Plymouth Champ 1.6 ltr. with the twin stick purchased for $250 (?) used in very good condition in and out . 2nd most favored car. There was around 90,000 miles and went on close to 150,000 miles . The twin was great for hills and going through deep snow . Had the original Cooper Weathermaster ST winter tires with studs . Took it to off the road due extreme rust to rear tire well . Engine and tranny still were in good condition . Makes me :( . Have picture of it . Was tan with a roof rack .

Last edited:
Had other Colts from '80 to '92 . '92 Eagle Summit sedan with the 1.5 ltr. and 5 speed manual was the last MITSUBISHI product we had .

I mentioned the 1977 Colt that we bought new....it was hit while parked and 'totaled' in approx. 1984 or 85....I bought it back from the insurance company and took virtually every useable part off it...I eventually bought a used 79' with engine noise cheap and put the low mileage engine from the 77' (approx. 40K) in it...I did it in the driveway with a friend who helped me lift it using a weight lifting bar and chain to pick it up....drove that for a few years and sold it for more than I paid for it......I miss those days when cars were much simpler...

Thank you for the stories everyone! It's great to hear how so many people had experiences with these cars, and so sad that there are so few and fun 80's cars left running out there. This car has the 1.6L turbo 4G32T engine.

I'm running 10W30 oil which is in the middle of the range provided by the manual and I let the car idle for a bit before shutting it off to prevent coking of the oil. There are no new turbo lines available so I have to respect it greatly. I picked up a new OEM Mitsu turbo which succeeds it, same turbo but oil and water cooled. I'm not sure this version of the 4G32T has ports for water cooling like the later gens and I'll be taking everything apart over the winter to see what can be done about that on a custom front.

Colt6.jpg

-Mike

I used pennzoil conventional 5w-30 and Fram oil filter . Ours was non turbo 1.6 ltr.. Miss that car . Was used for 2 motor routes . Lots of stop and go . Had a AM-FM cassette deck that didn't sound all that bad . Still havemany 90 minute cassettes to help pass the time and miles . Drove 600 to 700 miles a week for the routes and pizza delivery for a short time . Not including regular driving . I think we used Cooper Trendsetter SE for all season .

Called a Mirage here and Japan. I used to drive the twin stick like a twin stick truck...you get 7 gears because high 3rd is almost the same as low 4th. Change with one hand - down on the 2 speed, up on the main box.

Neat car! That brings back memories... my father had a 79 champ with the MCA-Jet engine and the dual range transmission. I remember the two lights in the gauge cluster.

Would love to see more photos!

As for fluids, I don’t think there’s much harm in going with a synthetic. I can’t talk to pre-90s cars, but my 91 BMW was just fine with redline and Amsoil MTFs. Amsoil did a lot better for shift feel than redline, which would degrade quickly.

This is a great reference for MTFs:

My first gut feel was that though it might be a little light, to try synchromesh fluids. It’s cheap, available, reputable, and designed for older MTs.

As the manual calls for "Hypoid Gear Oil", and Redline states on their product page "MT-LV, MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears", would that invalidate MT-85 for use in this transmission?

-Mike

No hypoid gears in that box, just old wording. 75/85 is what you need, synth or not....a thicker oil could cause baulking when cold.

The later 5 speed was the twin stick box with 5th being high 4th...and pulled in by a vacuum unit, along with reverse. No bump starting in 5th or reverse then, it would only select when the engine was running.

Back