Best tool for rear differential?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '07 Sienna is AWD. It appears the fill hole for the rear differential is partially blocked by the driveshaft. Is there a tool that can reach back there? I think it would need to be a really flat allen bit on a really flat breaker bar. Like the entire setup looks to be about an inch of space.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

If worse came to worse, I'd buy an extra Allen wrench (inexpensive L-type) of the correct size, saw/grind it off short enough to fit the space, and then use a box-end wrench (ratcheting, if you have one) to turn the stub of the Allen bit that sticks out of the drain plug.

How big is the allen head? You could get a bolt and two nuts of the same size. Cinch the two nuts together, stick the bolt head in the hole, then put your wrench on the inner nut.

My saab has the drain hole covered by part of the front subframe. Makes it annoying to do an MT fluid change (I guess they figure "lifetime means lifetime").

I use a suction system to suck fluid from the fill, and it is what it is.

I can't imagine what kind of lousy engineering would cover the FILL hole.

If you actually have an inch of space, I'd get one of the spinner attachments that one can use to apply a wrench onto a socket, then get an allen socket and finagle it in.

And you know, dropping the driveshaft usually isn't hard. I had to drop the front drive shaft on my mazda truck to run new brake line to the ABS module, then drop it again in a month when I did the starter.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
And you know, dropping the driveshaft usually isn't hard. I had to drop the front drive shaft on my mazda truck to run new brake line to the ABS module, then drop it again in a month when I did the starter.
lol.gif

Sounds like a lot to do just to change diff fluid...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I can't imagine what kind of lousy engineering would cover the FILL hole.

I'm biting my tongue so hard its gonna bleed... :p

For anyone researching this in the future. I found that the driveshaft sometimes is in a position where there is a bolt that blocks the fill hole and sometimes is not. Moving the vehicle can allow access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back