Best To Run The Same Oil All The Time?

Agree... 30 is statistically substantial indeed.

Question is.... Which one to run to make it 30 ???

I'm thinking Valvoline 150k Maxlife.

I like black colored oil containers.
Here ya go...

I'm impressed that you've kept count.

Let me see if I can remember them all from the top of my head...

Castrol EP gold 5w30
Pennzoil Ultra 5w30
Pennzoil Gold 5w30
RP 5w30
Castrol High mileage 5w30
Castrol Magnetec 5w30
Castrol Ultraclean 5w30
Valvoline White 5w30
Valvoline Maxlife FS 5w30
Havoline 5w30
Havoline High mileage 5w30
Cam2 Superpromax 5w30
Cam2 Dexos full synthetic 5w30.
Quaker State FS 5w30
Quaker State HM 5w30
Formula Shell 5w30
Carquest High mileage FS 5w30
Havoline Pro DS 5w30
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum HM full synthetic 5w30
Napa Full synthetic 5w30
Napa FS high mileage 5w30
Warren Oil synthetic blend 5w30
Lubrigold 5w30
Federated Auto parts FS 5w30
Mag1 Dexos full synthetic 5w30
Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w30
Quaker State AD 5w30
Super S 5w30

Here ya go...

Interesting...

Give me Valvoline 150k black container though... Cheaper and it's container pours extremely well.

If you were looking for a used car and saw a CARFAX report for a car that showed it had an OCI every 5k miles, but with various oil brands of the right viscosity, would you shy away from it? I doubt I would.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Your engine doesn't know what brand of oil is in it any more than your body knows which brand of green beans you eat.
Unless you’re 6 years old who in their right mind eats green beans?

lol

1616627505165.jpeg

Last edited:
I used many oil brands in my Nissan Sentra and it didn't burn a drop of oil when I parted with it. It only had less than 100k miles when I swapped it but switching oil and filter brands didn't seem to hurt it any. I probably changed the oil & filter more than I should have, as I often do these days.

I put 255k on my 1995 Honda Civic using mostly Castrol GTX 10w30 and 5w30 and OEM filters. It used a small amount of oil but not much.
Do I think it would have used less oil if I'd ran various brands of oil in it? Possibly but I really don't know.

I always kind of had the belief that using various brands of oil is a good idea, kind of like feeding your pet cats or dogs various brands of food and a varied diet.
I might as well pick up two 5 qt jugs of NAPA 0w20 FS and run them at some future OCI. No need to fill up my closet with the stuff but I think it would serve my Prius well for a while.

I always kind of had the belief that using various brands of oil is a good idea, kind of like feeding your pet cats or dogs various brands of food and a varied diet.
I might as well pick up two 5 qt jugs of NAPA 0w20 FS and run them at some future OCI. No need to fill up my closet with the stuff but I think it would serve my Prius well for a while.
Bad analogy, IMO. Your engine does not need a varied diet.

Back