Best Tires for 2009 Honda CR-V 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked it up in my HUGE Honda Manual and it says the the CR-V's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 4,564 lbs.
I divided that by 4 and got 1,141lbs for each tire.

Since the new tires I got can support 1,764 lbs per tire that means the tire can still support another 623 lbs.

So the new tires should work out just fine.

It's whatever the vehicle rating calls for. Usually there is a margin of a certain percent greater than the GVW. I'm sure you are fine.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
It's whatever the vehicle rating calls for. Usually there is a margin of a certain percent greater than the GVW. I'm sure you are fine.

Ok thank you very much.

100 is pretty serious load. Many vehicles run around on 89-94. I doubt anything over 98 is common. I just took off 98 from the Tiguan and put on 100.

Yeah I was thinking the tires would be ok. Going from the 102T to the 100T tires only loses 100lbs a tire. So I was thinking they would be ok. After doing the math I'm even a little more assured now too.

Tire Rack had them under the list when I put my vehicle so I was assuming they would be ok.

Are they LT tires? If so, they build in an extra +10% load. If they are for a light SUV, I'm pretty sure they have extra load vs a passenger car anyway.

This is all it says: 225/65R17 100T SL Green X

Does the "SL" stand for Standard Load?

Here is a quote from the website: "The Latitude Tour is Michelin's Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season light truck tire developed for the drivers of crossovers, sport utility vehicles and light duty pickups looking to combine comfort, wear and fuel efficiency. Most Latitude Tour tires meet Michelin's Green X standards for long tread life, good wet traction and low rolling resistance, as well as provide year-round traction, including in light snow.

Latitude Tour tires use a silica-based tread compound molded into a symmetric tread design optimized with Michelin's MaxTouch Construction to deliver more miles of treadwear. Stable shoulder blocks and a continuous center rib enhance responsiveness and highway stability, while wide circumferential grooves help resist hydroplaning and multiple sipes provide biting edges in snow. Latitude Tour tires also feature Michelin Comfort Control Technology that combines computer-optimized design and precision manufacturing to reduce vibration and road noise. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts under the tread area on top of a polyester cord carcass that enhances ride quality. "

Originally Posted By: radtech91
I just looked it up in my HUGE Honda Manual and it says the the CR-V's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 4,564 lbs.

Since the new tires I got can support 1,764 lbs per tire that means the tire can still support another 623 lbs.

Ok, it's time for me to step in.

First, the load rating of the tire is only applicable at the rated inflation pressure. In this case, the CRV calls for 30 psi - which is somewhat less than the rated pressure, so the actual load carrying capacity is less than the rated capacity.

Second, the difference in the load indices is a quirk in the the difference between the way different tire standardizing organizations specify their load carrying capacity. In this case, it doesn't really matter. But caution should be exercised as sometimes the difference can be because of the difference between Standard load (SL) and Extra Load (XL), in which case do NOT use SL in place of XL!

Third, Dividing the GVW by 4 assumes the weight is evenly distributed aroubnd the vehicle. It is NOT!!

I'm just going to go with that the CR-V will be fine with the tires I got.
The originals were SL's too.
I'll just inflate them a few more psi's in each tire and they should be good.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Ok, it's time for me to step in.

First, the load rating of the tire is only applicable at the rated inflation pressure. In this case, the CRV calls for 30 psi - which is somewhat less than the rated pressure, so the actual load carrying capacity is less than the rated capacity.

Second, the difference in the load indices is a quirk in the the difference between the way different tire standardizing organizations specify their load carrying capacity. In this case, it doesn't really matter. But caution should be exercised as sometimes the difference can be because of the difference between Standard load (SL) and Extra Load (XL), in which case do NOT use SL in place of XL!

Third, Dividing the GVW by 4 assumes the weight is evenly distributed aroubnd the vehicle. It is NOT!!

It all great and dandy you can post all this and tell me that. All I wanted was a yes the tires will work fine. I'm so glad you "stepped in" with all this extra stuff I already knew. A simple yes or no would have sufficed.

Capri does know his stuff. I actually "backed down" because I lacked a detailed explanation, other than to say they were fine.

Nobody on the tires forum really tries to be a goof.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Capri does know his stuff. I actually "backed down" because I lacked a detailed explanation, other than to say they were fine.

Nobody on the tires forum really tries to be a goof.

I understand.

Next time I will go ahead and get the 102Ts, because I will be out of college and have a job at a hospital. But right now with me only working part time detailing cars, the $152 per tire and the $70 mail in rebate was just too hard to pass up.

100 may exceed your requirement, you just need to look up the spec for the CRV. A 4cyl vehicle like yours may be only 91 or 94 max.

Oh. The stock ones were 102T and that is what the book says so i think I'll more than likely stick with the 100T and 102T, just because. lol

...... Next time I will go ahead and get the 102Ts .................

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

This 102T vs 100T thing is an artifact of the way different tire standardizng systems work. For practical purposes, they are the same.

I explain this in more detail here:

http://www.barrystiretech.com/loadtables.html

Bottonline, the 100T tires are fine for your vehicle.

This 102T vs 100T thing is an artifact of the way different tire standardizing systems work. For practical purposes, they are the same.

I wasn't going to muddy the water, but decided that such a jerk as I could do that . Costco, likely because of that 102 issue, shows only one tire for the car, the Bridgestone - Dueler H/T 470 with Uni-T 225/65R17 102T. They now allow looking up by size, and including the EMetric and PMetric, have more ... 3 PMetric, all 100T, and 5 EMetric, a mix of a 101S, a 101H, a 102H, and 2 102T ... one of the 102T, the BFGoodrich - Long Trail T/A Tour, they didn't list in the By_Vehicle search.

Crazy puzzling search algorithm to me ... the 102H and the BFG seem to meet any reasonable criteria I can comprehend. Capri, can you explain why this MIGHT be so?

You don't have to buy tires at Costco if you have Discount Tire or America Tire in your area. They will match the lowest price you can find online and their services is very good. I found that Costco has very limited choices in tires and their price is not that great either, I'm a member of Costco for many years and never bought tires from them.

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
have you installed these tires yet? if so how do you like them?

No I haven't installed them yet. Probably closer to fall right before winter, if they will last that long.
I have 8/32" of tread on the front. (the tires that were just replaced 2,500 miles ago by Honda because the belts broke in both of them after 7,500 miles.)
The back tires have 4/32" of tread left.
I just wanted to get new tires now so just in case the rear one wear even faster I won't be screwed over when I have to get new tires put on that exact day something goes wrong, like what happened to me with my Element. Ended up spending an extra $175 more than I would have had too, if I would have already had the tires. So this time I am prepared.

...... Next time I will go ahead and get the 102Ts .................

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

This 102T vs 100T thing is an artifact of the way different tire standardizng systems work. For practical purposes, they are the same.

Sorry about that. I did misunderstand you, and thank you very much for the link. :) Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You don't have to buy tires at Costco if you have Discount Tire or America Tire in your area. They will match the lowest price you can find online and their services is very good. I found that Costco has very limited choices in tires and their price is not that great either, I'm a member of Costco for many years and never bought tires from them.

Not sure about a Discount Tire in my area and I'm not even a member at CostCo's. It is a nice place though. I already ordered and received my tires from TireRack, but thank you anyways.
Also, thanks for the great tip about Discount Tire. That is a good thing to know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back