Best tire value for a 98Jeep Wranglr

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter is going on a long trip in ten days. She has a base 1998 Jeep Wrangler with stock size 205/75x 15 tires. She had been running 225/75x15 tires on the stock rims. She now finds this size is hard to find and very expensive. She is looking for a tire in the $55.00 or $60 range for 205/75x15; 215/75x15 or the 225/75x15; preferably in the later two optional sizes. She has access to Sam's Club and Walmart, Kmart, and so forth in the Hendersonville area of Western NC.

You might be able to find those sizes for around that price at Walmart more than anything.

My Wrangler was OE equipped with 215's and when I went to replace them they quoted me for 400 for all 4 mounted. Told em I would brb to get the money from my bank and when I came back they forgot to tell me it was sold out. So they sold me the Wrangler 225's for the same price.

Check Walmart though, Kmart I wouldn't bother with as they tend to be really really poor tires and the selection is abysmal.

yup. I had to buy tires for my Jeep last year. I dont know what retailers you have in your area, but I ended up with Pep Boys private label tires (made by Cooper) and used the rebate. you can probably use 235/70/15 or 235/75/15 without problems, they are generally a little cheaper as they are more common

I went and did a search on Treadepot and TR in the sizes mentioned, all I can say is good luck finding tires in the price range posted.

Price for the tires alone start at $50. Some local independent dealer may have a tire for that money, but I didn't see much selection on the websites in that price range.

Good Luck
J

Walmart has had the Goodyear Wrangler Radial in stock for around $55/tire. I think they carry it in the 225 size, too. Have her stop by Walmart and check it out. She can probably do a set for around $300 out the door.

This may be a case that going up in size to a 235 75 15 may get you a lower priced tire, just based on how common the tire size is.

Last fall, I put 225/75/15's on my Jeep Cherokee. I had no problem finding tires, other than most places needed a day to get the tires in stock. Price wise, I would frankly be afraid of running a tire around $55-60 a tire in that tire size. FWIW, I ende up getting the Bridgestone Dueler REVO D695's for just under $100 a tire and have been happy with my choice.

My choices for a spare tire in that size with a low price ended up being a Firestone FR380 (definitely not an ideal tire for an SUV) or an off-brand with some tread, that I took for $55 for the one tire (warehouse oddball that needed to be gotten rid of).

The 235's open up a wide range of tires - at least that's what I noticed on my Explorer - and the prices were lower than what I got for the tires on the Jeep.

Her local Walmart and Sam's Club had the Goodyear Viva 2 as the cheapest buy and it was $50-55 range. Then she read all the bad reviews on Viva 2 and ditched that idea. The only choice is Michelins at about 90.00 each. There are other choices but she will have to special order them and she is running out of time before the trip.

Discount Tire has stores in NC and they have some 205 Kumho Solus KR21 for $57 each. Don't know much about them though? Kumho makes decent economy tires however as a rule.

I did a search of some national tire sources for you in the Hendersonville area and Sears has about 8 options in the 205 size running from $63-$80 p/tire. Sam's Club has a Dunlop for $74. Firestone Service Center has some Firestone Destination LE's for $85 a tire( GREAT tire - I run these myself on all my trucks and suv's ).

I am sure there are more options for you if you look around.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

My choices for a spare tire in that size with a low price ended up being a Firestone FR380 (definitely not an ideal tire for an SUV)

The Firestone FR380 really isn't an ideal tire for anything. A cheap Firestone tire is a complete gamble.

Firestone has recalled hundred of thousands of FR380 tires. No thanks.

My dau. decided to go to Sam's or Walmart and get four Michelin Radial X tires in 215/75x15 for $88.00 each plus 15.00 for maounting and road hazard. She says they handle well and are really quiet compared to her old Goodyear Wranglers tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back